Thread: Trouble with JPilot

Beans

Trouble with JPilot

I'm having trouble using JPilot with the latest Ubuntu, 12.04. Until recently, I was using the previous latest Ubuntu release successfully with JPilot. Now I am unable to perform synchronization between the palm pilot and my machine. (Yeah, I know - a palm pilot ). It does not recognize the connection as established. At first, I had trouble synchronizing with the previous version as well, until I learned to change synchronization device preferences from USB to serial (ttyS0), at which point synchronization started working.

I changed synchronization device preferences in 12.04, but unfortunately I'm still unable to establish a connection between the computer and the palm pilot. My next troubleshooting attempt was to issue the following terminal command:

dmesg | grep ttyS

which results in this output:

[ 0.344985] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    [ 0.483696] 00:08: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

from this I understand that Linux recognizes my serial port. I don't have another serial device to test with, other than the palm pilot's serial-based cradle. Do you have any suggestions for further troubleshooting?

Thank you,
    Notre

Beans

Re: Trouble with JPilot

I'm embarrassed to say the answer was in the JPilot manual. I had to do this:

chmod 666 /dev/ttyS0

and then everything worked. I didn't do this the first time, at least not explicitly for JPilot but maybe along the way some other program did it, or did it myself for some other reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Did you install anything else besides jpilot, jpilot-backup and jpliot-plugins?
    non sunt multiplicanda entia absque necessitate

Beans

Hi Notre,

I use a Tungsten T5 (yes, another retro)..
    I am experiencing similar problems as you do. For me when under Ubuntu 11.04, it used to work fine for me using : usb: at 115200 bauds.

I tried what you wrote in here the chmod, but nothing works still under U 12.04 32 bits.

Would you mind letting me know?

Thanks in advance,

StepNjump

Quote Originally Posted by Notre View Post
    I'm embarrassed to say the answer was in the JPilot manual. I had to do this:

chmod 666 /dev/ttyS0

and then everything worked. I didn't do this the first time, at least not explicitly for JPilot but maybe along the way some other program did it, or did it myself for some other reason.

Beans

Looks like the project is really defunct...

I just wanted to open a bug at http://bugs.jpilot.org/login_page.php and I can't even get my confirmation email so I can open a case....

mmmm

What a waste to buy a new device... the reason I am on linux is specifically because I don't want to litter nature as Windozians do.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

[QUOTE=StepNjump;11937271]Looks like the project is really defunct...

The jpilot project is NOT defunct, it is simply not very active due to Palm devices waning popularity. I still use a Palm Treo daily and participate in the jpilot mailing list. The mailing list has periodic bursts of activity but is often silent for long periods.
    ----
    Linux user since before Yggdrasil, Unix before that while with the real AT&T.