Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 12.04 running DNSMASQ by default

Beans

Re: 12.04 running DNSMASQ by default

In my case DNS resolution was working on and off randomly, in a clean 12.04 install. It was driving me nuts.
    I do have my wireless DNS servers set manually to 208.67.220.220, and 208.67.222.222 in Network Manager.
    Issuing:
    Code:
    dig askubuntu.com
    would not return any IP address.
    But:
    Code:
    dig askubuntu.com @208.67.220.220
    always work.
    After commenting out dns=dnsmasq in NetworkManager.conf and restarting it with
    Code:
    sudo restart network-manager
    the situation was the same. Erasing that line and restarting Network Manager wouldn't change the situation. After rebooting the computer the computer won't resolve any address, and dig will show the DNS request was made through 127.0.0.1 (which was weird).
    Anyway, the only way I found to solve the situation was removing and purging resolvconf with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge resolvconf
    and restarting Network Manager. The only drawback is that it also removes ubuntu-minimal.
    Now
    Code:
    dig askubuntu.com
    always work and the system is using OpenDNS in each call.
    I can't believe the developers didn't test the name resolution properly before releasing a 12.04 LTS.
    Anyway, I'm willing to try other solutions, but in the meantime this is the only way my computer works.
    I hope this is useful for someone else.
    Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo Ruiz View Post
    I can't believe the developers didn't test the name resolution properly before releasing a 12.04 LTS.
    Ubuntu 12.04 DNS has been well tested and generally works well. Problems with DNS are almost always traceable to broken third-party software, to badly configured images downstream from Ubuntu, and to administrator-inflicted damage.

Beans

Thank you Marcelo ! I had given hope to solve my DNS problem and removing resolvconf solved it.

Beans

If you can't figure out how to configure resolvconf then you can disable it by removing the symbolic link at /etc/resolv.conf and putting a static file there. Even then it's usually best to leave the resolvconf package installed, since the mere presence of the resolvconf package causes several other packages to refrain from futzing with /etc/resolv.conf.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234