Thread: how come gPodder is so out of date in 12.04?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

how come gPodder is so out of date in 12.04?

I thought new OS releases were supposed to update applications to the latest release or at least close to the newest release. gPodder is way out of date. Its at 2.20 in 12.04 and the latest is 3.10.

Anybody know why?
    Idea #26902: Give users "global control" over applications' outgoing internet connections
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26902

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: how come gPodder is so out of date in 12.04?

Um, I guess it depends if someone is maintaining the package or not for .deb version ... .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

gPodder 2.20 was released on 18th Feb 2012.
    gPodder 3.10 was released on 27th March 2012

The FeatureFreeze date for Precise was before gPodder 3.10 was released, so only version 2.20 will be available. Apart for bug fixes (if any) this is the most up to date version that will be in the Precise repositories.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanx for answering guys.
    Idea #26902: Give users "global control" over applications' outgoing internet connections
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26902

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I had a look at the gpodder website (gpodder.org), and found this tid-bit:

Version 2.20.1 (released 2012-02-18, source tarball) is the latest version in the 2.x series. gPodder 2 contains MP3 player sync and support for Maemo 4 and 5. It will not receive new features, only occasional bugfixes (if any). It is recommended that you use gPodder 3 except if you still need Maemo 4 or Maemo 5 support.

The gPodder 3 releases do not contain MP3 player sync yet. When we add MP3 player sync support to 3.x, we'll update the Ubuntu PPA. Learn more about device sync in 3.x.
    Their ppa (ppa:thp/gpodder) currently has the same version as the official Ubuntu repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unfortunately the package has not been updated yet and gpodder just lost its youtube download feature. I don't know if the folks at google did something diferent but I couldn't download my stuff from there today.

Also the PPA provided by launchpad (weirdly called gwibber) is being ignored by apt-get and I found no .deb available around.

So, I got stuck in the cold.