Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    I've packaged working freeNX in my warty-extras repository (see the Backports forum).

It's currently undergoing beta-testing in the -staging tree, I'll have it out of there by Jan 10th.
    Do you still think this will get into the stable warty-extras today?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It went in already, with issue 4 of Ubuntu Weekly last Friday-ish.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Which newer version of libpng do I want from the site linked to in the first post? I tried blindly the ones sufficiently new, but not only did they not make the freenx package work, but they also caused KDE to want to uninstall. Are there more detailed instructions on making FreeNX work with Warty?

jdong: Is your FreeNX package supposed to work in warty? I still get the libpng error with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

AllTom, use Warty Extras (part of Warty Backports). I repackaged FreeNX specifically for Warty.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    AllTom, use Warty Extras (part of Warty Backports). I repackaged FreeNX specifically for Warty.
    Ah, I thought I was using that version before, but apparently Kanotix's version was overriding it, which is why I couldn't resolve the libpng error.

Now I have the same problem as PeteG, even after using "nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key".

Edit: I can log in if I set "PasswordAuthentication yes" in the SSHD config file, which leads me to believe I'm using the wrong key... Doesn't nxclient default to sending its own key?
    Last edited by AllTom; January 19th, 2005 at 02:55 PM.

Beans

I'm trying to use FreeNX to conect to a VNC session. I have FreeNX installed and working on my warty box at home, and I'm connecting from my office using the NoMachine ******* client. I can connect successfully to warty, and it comes up beautifully. Within that NX session, I can open a VNC session to my laptop, which is on the same LAN.

I have entered the laptop's details in the client's VNC settings section using the NX Connection Wizard. When I try to connect, I get this error:

Code:
    Parse error in remote options string 'NX>'
    There are no white spaces in the laptop's host name, by the way.

Any ideas anyone?

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

I am also getting the errors

Depends: nxagent but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: nxproxy but it is not going to be installed

Where can these items be found?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by oldweasel
    I am also getting the errors

Depends: nxagent but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: nxproxy but it is not going to be installed

Where can these items be found?

Same error here, when is it going to be fixed ?

Beans

I installed FreeNX on my Ubuntu box, and I'm able to connect from a remote windows machine as well as from a VMware windows client. I'm using the NX client from nomachine.com. This is all great, and very fast compared to VNC, but I can't seem to be able to suspend and resume sessions. If I exit the (gnome) session by logging out, then everything is fine, and all the nx processes exit correctly. But if I choose to suspend the session when exiting from the client, then I'm not able to reconnect and resume the session (it fails). Also, sometimes the processes left on the server, especially nxagent, seem to be left in a bad state, and consume 100% of the cpu. The only way to reconnect, is to kill all these processes by hand (and lose the session of course).

So while I like the fact that it's faster then VNC, it cannot serve as a replacement unless the suspend resume (stateless client) feature works reliably.
    Last edited by Tichondrius; February 5th, 2005 at 11:58 AM.

Beans

how did you get past the errors mentioned above? Same thing I'm getting.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast