Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Q:How can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

A:
    EDIT: For those who don't know what FreeNX is, freeNX is a remote desktop protocol, like VNC. Unlike VNC, FreeNX compresses at the X protocol level, giving it a much better experience over low-bandwidth (and high bandwidth) line. To give you an idea of FreeNX's power, I can use Smooth Scrolling in Firefox over a dial-up line without excessive jerking. Over cable/dsl lines, you can barely notice that you're not actually at the system.

It's not in Ubuntu's repositories, but is available for Debian. Add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list

Code:
    deb http://kanotix.com/files/debian/ ./
    The repository is for Kanotix, a Debian/SID Knoppix derivative.

Run apt-get install freenx.

Then, run nxsetup. If you want a nomachine key (RECOMMENDED FOR SIMPLICITY), run nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key instead. Please google the command and read the security implications of doing so! (Basically if FreeNX is flawed, there's a possibility of gaining SSH access as the NX user remotely!)

Make sure that SSH is running for FreeNX to work properly.

**Newer (like these) versions of FreeNX no longer need a nxserver --adduser command. Any user that can log into the system via PAM can log in remotely with NX. Running the nxserver --adduser commands is harmless though.

There are also nxclient deb's in the repository, so browse it and enjoy!
    Important Note!
    The repository also contains up-to-date reiser4progs (a good thing if you want to try reiser4, and doesn't affect you if you don't use reiser4 at all)
    It also has a newer java-package that supersedes Ubuntu's. The Kanotix java-package works perfectly on Ubuntu, so not really a problem either. Just a heads-up in case you wanted to stay as purely Ubuntu as possible!

UPDATE: As someone pointed out, Kanotix FreeNX now depend on libpng being newer or equal to 1.2.7. Warty has version 1.2.5.

You can always grab the Hoary version of libpng. http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libp/libpng3 and friends are in Ubuntu's repository.

Beans

Re: How can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Ok, it looks like ssh is working fine. I can ssh into the box from here at work with putty on windows XP.

I installed the NX client for windows XP from nomachine. I think I set everything up ok, but it seems that authentication for user nx is failing. I see that the user nx is set up. Here's the output from the nxclient on windows.

Code:
    NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 684
    NX> 200 Connected to address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX on port: 22
    NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
    NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
    NX> 204 Authentication failed.
    Any ideas?
    --Join the march for individuality!

Rancoras
    Linux User #64203

Beans

I get the same error code

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

did you use the --setup-nomachine-key option?
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    did you use the --setup-nomachine-key option?
    No, because I like secure. I guess there's a key I need to copy to the client?
    --Join the march for individuality!

Rancoras
    Linux User #64203

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yeah, the SSH host key.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

A:
    EDIT: For those who don't know what FreeNX is, freeNX is a remote desktop protocol, like VNC. Unlike VNC, FreeNX compresses at the X protocol level, giving it a much better experience over low-bandwidth (and high bandwidth) line. To give you an idea of FreeNX's power, I can use Smooth Scrolling in Firefox over a dial-up line without excessive jerking. Over cable/dsl lines, you can barely notice that you're not actually at the system.

It's not in Ubuntu's repositories, but is available for Debian. Add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list

Code:

Then, run nxsetup. If you want a nomachine key (RECOMMENDED FOR SIMPLICITY), run nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key instead. Please google the command and read the security implications of doing so! (Basically if FreeNX is flawed, there's a possibility of gaining SSH access as the NX user remotely!)

**Newer (like these) versions of FreeNX no longer need a nxserver --adduser command. Any user that can log into the system via PAM can log in remotely with NX. Running the nxserver --adduser commands is harmless though.

Important Note!
    The repository also contains up-to-date reiser4progs (a good thing if you want to try reiser4, and doesn't affect you if you don't use reiser4 at all)
    It also has a newer java-package that supersedes Ubuntu's. The Kanotix java-package works perfectly on Ubuntu, so not really a problem either. Just a heads-up in case you wanted to stay as purely Ubuntu as possible!
    It should be noted that the packages on kanotix.com has been upgraded and FreeNX can't be installed according to the guide because the libnxcomp0 and libnxcompext0 packages on kanotix depends on libpng being >= 1.2.7 and Warty has only 1.2.5. So using the libpng in Hoary should solve this problem. You might want to update your guide with suitable changes so that more people can start using FreeNX.

Beans

A:

Code:

Important Note!

UPDATE: As someone pointed out, Kanotix FreeNX now depend on libpng being newer or equal to 1.2.7. Warty has version 1.2.5.

You can always grab the Hoary version of libpng. http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libp/libpng3 and friends are in Ubuntu's repository.
    hi there I have read this review and am somewhat confused!

I need to access and control a windows xp computer (my dad's) and need to be able to give really simple instructions over the phone of how to set up the xp machine as the client.

Then I need simpler instructions - after installing nx how do I get it to work and connect to the xp machine.

The two computers both are on broadband.

Thanks for your help so far!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

puzzledm, in that case you'll need to use VNC.
    The FreeNX server will only work on computers using the X protocol, like Linux and Solaris.

There's client software for Windows, but not server software.
    On Linux, there's both client and server software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

If you get a "Parse error in remote options string" type error message it could be because you have a space in the name of the session. I found this info in the mailing list linked. I could not connect the client to the server until I removed the space in the session name.

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/freenx...er/000529.html

Edit: I find this to be faster and more flexible compared to VNC. TightVNC anyway, thats all I have used. but I'm wondering how i could use freenx instead of vnc for what I use it for. can you have a session start automaticly with a program running in it when the computer boots/reboots? so you can connect to it whenever you need it and its right there?
    Last edited by snipes420; December 22nd, 2004 at 11:35 AM. Reason: correction. 'session' not 'connection'

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast