Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hassle free mac-like-dock (not kiba or kxdocker)

Beans

Lightbulb Hassle free mac-like-dock (not kiba or kxdocker)

How to get an apple like dock with out hassle

This is starting with the default ubuntu desktop, but it can be done even if you have customized it. This how to also does not require and extra programs to be installed, or any 3-d acceleration.

1. Delete the quit button in right hand side of the top panel, and delete the menu bar on the left hand side of the same bar.
    2. On the left hand side of the top bar, open the add to panel window; add the main menu and window list. Lock both to panel.
    3. On far right hand of the top panel (where the quit button was) add the window selector, lock to panel
    4. Now for the bottom panel, delete everything except for the trash can.
    5. Add a separator to the left of the trash can, lock both the separator and trash can to the panel.
    6. Right click on the panel and go to properties.
    7. Change the size to 45-50 pixels (mine is at 48), uncheck the expand option, check the show hide buttons, and uncheck arrows on hide buttons
    8. Go to the background tab, select the solid color option, and change the color to white (#FFFFFF).
    9. Set the opacity to about 25%
    10. Drag your favorite applications from the main menu down to your new dock.

There you go, an instant, stable, hassle free dock. Sure it does not have all of the glitz as say kiba dock, or kxdocker; but it does have more functionality (such as you can drag a file to one of the programs in the dock, and the file will open in that application), and it is easier to add/remove programs to it.

~Alan
    I was a World before I was a Man;
    I was a Beast before I could Stand;
    I will remember before I forget. BEFORE I FORGET! ~Slipknot

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Hassle free mac-like-dock (not kiba or kxdocker)

Another thing I found is that I need to make sure "keep aligned" is unchecked (right-click on your desktop to change this setting). When it's checked and I reboot, the dock automatically starts up in the center of the screen (as opposed to the bottom, side, or wherever I originally placed it). This is a slight annoyance, as I like my desktop items to be nicely aligned, but I guess I don't usually keep many files or icons on my desktop anyways.

I set my dock even smaller to 30 pixels, but of course everyone has their own preferences

BTW, if anyone knows a fix for this bug let me know!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

you know, if you want to go that way, you can also just add a new panel, no need to change an already existing one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This is a great way to get most of what a mac-dock offers without having to do much work. Like the OP said, there is a little bit of eye candy missing but it does look great. I've attached an image of how I have mine set up so people can see an example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mac-dock.png 
Views:	919 
Size:	876.6 KB 
ID:	23962  

Beans
    Hidden!

Here's another variation (As you can see I've got mine on the left and included the notification area, home folder, and trash bin in addition to launcher icons)

[IMG][/IMG]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Having failed to run kxdocker in either Gnome or KDE (it would seem it now needs a composite window manager, which needs a good graphics card, which I don't have) I settled with an autohiding gnome-panel. You can change the timings in gconf-editor to allow instant unhiding and slower animations and slower autohiding, and change hidden size to 1 pixel. That way everything is drawn as normal, then it simply pops up on top of the windows.

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by pingvin View Post
    Having failed to run kxdocker in either Gnome or KDE (it would seem it now needs a composite window manager, which needs a good graphics card, which I don't have) I settled with an autohiding gnome-panel. You can change the timings in gconf-editor to allow instant unhiding and slower animations and slower autohiding, and change hidden size to 1 pixel. That way everything is drawn as normal, then it simply pops up on top of the windows.

Mike
    Hei, Thanks, But where in gconf-editor???

Cheers

Jussi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi,
    Go to:
    gconf-editor -> apps -> panel -> toplevels -> <PANEL_NAME> (e.g. bottom panel).
    Click on this folder, there should appear several values in the opposite pane:
    change the ones I mentioned by right-clicking, then "edit key" I think. Type in a new value, like "slow" for the variable animation speed.
    Hope that helps. No "apply" or "save", just quit and the changes are made instantly.

And on a different note, I have got kxdocker working in Edgy, Gnome (without Beryl) by using a previous version (0.39) from a Dapper repository

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

what we need here is simply another gnome-panel-applet that is the variation of the application launcher.....simple in that it is a clone of the typical launcher but it also provides dbus feedback....or even tracks its own open windows!...

would this be viable? and if so where is the specific schemtai? bring me schemta .... i must have ze planz

oh and obviuosly you can choose your icons, and optionlly a bubble them and data-emblem-feedback frames that are laid upon the app icon.
    Fear is the mindkiller....
    The little death that obliterates...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by amoser View Post
    How to get an apple like dock with out hassle

There you go, an instant, stable, hassle free dock. Sure it does not have all of the glitz as say kiba dock, or kxdocker; but it does have more functionality

~Alan
    Agreed! And thanks for the tips. I find it so much more useful than kiba.
    "fa' ina ma'al usri yusra"

Specs: Dell XPS M1710 - Core 2 Duo 7400, 2 GB RAM, 512 MB Geforce Go 7950 GTX, 160 GB HDD, 17" WUXGA (1920x1200). Dual boot XP Pro and Ubuntu 7.04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast