Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Hi joplass,

That depends on whether you want to connect to your Ubuntu machine from inside or outside your LAN, so let's get to the answer in two parts. The numbers I'll use are merely illustrative.

1. Inside: Suppose your Windows box is sharing the internet with your Ubuntu. If this is the case, you need to find out the IP your router has set to the boxes. As you may know, the router has an internal IP (usually 10.0.0.138 ) and your boxes receive different ones (e.g. 10.0.0.139, 10.0.0.140, etc).

2. Outside: If you're willing to connect to your Ubuntu from the box at your work, like me, you need two things. Firstly, as you said, you'll need the IP of your connection at home. You can use checkip.dyndns.org to get that. Secondly, you need to set up your router to redirect your SSH request to the Ubuntu box (through the NAT service). If you don't know how to do that, google for instructions for your router model. But just for details, you need to create a port 22 redirection from outside your network (0.0.0.0) to your specific box (10.0.0.139, for example).

If everything fails, you can always count on the Ubuntu community.

Good luck,
    incubus

PS: You don't need PuTTY for your NX connection, I just mentioned it for testing, ok? At your windows, it's just the NXClient you need, unless you use a proxy service for internet. Well, that's enough for one post.
    Last edited by incubus; March 8th, 2005 at 05:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sorry about this reply I rushed to ask the question. Someone posted about it on this same thread.
    Last edited by joplass; March 9th, 2005 at 01:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 1848
    NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
    NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
    NX> 200 Connected to address: xxx.xx.xxx.xxx on port: 22
    NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
    NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
    NX> 204 Authentication failed.
    I also did this already as mentioned in a post somewhere in here.
    “Make sure you used --setup-nomachine-key when running nxsetup. Otherwise, you need to carry around the new pubkey to every NX client. We talked about this earlier in the thread.”

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by joplass; March 9th, 2005 at 04:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey joplass:

It seems you tried to connect from outside your network, right? I recommend you to EDIT your former post and hide/fake your real IP (well, perhaps you've already done that).

Well, now you can try what I said before: use PuTTY to connect to your computer, just to see where the problem is (i.e. if it connects, the problem should be with nx). You should also try in your own ubuntu computer to connect to itself (localhost). This will tell us if the problem was with the remote computer or with the nxserver configuration.

By the way, have you added your login with the nxserver (--adduser) and typed this same username to connect?

incubus
    Last edited by incubus; March 9th, 2005 at 04:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes added the user with the nxserver and I am trying to login from work.

PuTTy returned this (I typed the whole thing couldn't copy/paste):

loging as: <myusername>
    Password:
    Linux Ubuntu 2.6.8.1-5-383 #1 Sat Feb 12 00:19:31 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
    The exact distribution terms for each program are described in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
    You have mail.

Last login: Wed Mar 9 10:33:35 2005 from revlookup.maintech1.com
    job@ubuntu: ~ $

Beans
    Hidden!

Good, so your connection and the SSH are working alright. Through Putty/SSH you can control your box already, but without the X environment.

Find a folder ".ssh" in your "\Documents and Settings\<username>" and delete it (it just holds a copy of the authentication key, nx will download a new one). Open your Windows NXclient, click Configure and in the "Advanced" tab, check "Enable SSL encryption" if it's not already checked. In the "General" tab, make sure that you typed in the same IP and Port numbers you used in the PuTTy. And login with the same username too (the one you wrote in nxserver --adduser).

Tell me if you still get the same error.
    By the way, connect PuTTy again and do a "sudo nxserver --listuser" and see that your username is there.

Best,
    incubus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sincere thanks for your valuable help.

When I clicked login on NX and it was login in I got this message also included in the script below:

The authenticity of host 'xxx.xx.xxx.xxx (xxx.xx.xxx.xxx)' can't be established.
    RSA key fingerprint is fd:12:06:30:9e:79:91:6d:17:ad:8a:31:b7:18:9a:5a.
    Are you sure you want to continue connecting
    “yes” or “no”

NX gave me this:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 4984
    NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
    NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
    NX> 200 Connected to address: xxx.xx.xxx.xxx on port: 22
    NX> 205 The authenticity of host 'xxx.xx.xxx.xxx (xxx.xx.xxx.xxx)' can't be established.
    RSA key fingerprint is fd:12:06:30:9e:79:91:6d:17:ad:8a:31:b7:18:9a:5a.
    Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?
    Warning: Permanently added 'xxx.xx.xxx.xxx' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
    NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
    NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
    NX> 204 Authentication failed.

PuTTY gave me this after “sudo nxserver –-listuser”:

job@ubuntu:~ $ sudo nxserver –-listuser
    NX> 100 NXSERVER – Version 1.4.0-02 OS_(GPL)
    NX> 146 NX users list

Username
    ---------------------
    job

NX> 999 Bye
    job@ubuntu:~ $

Beans
    Hidden!

Hmmm. I think we're getting close to it, pal.

I had that problem too, and I googled a lot to find out how to fix that. I can't recall what I did, but it had to do with the keys. The problem was that I installed freenx without the "--setup-nomachine-key", and it persisted even though I corrected that.

When you first installed freenx, did you run the setup with "--setup-nomachine-key"?
    If not, maybe we should delete the files it created in the process.

Take a look at this interesting discussion
    Note that this is a discussion on RedHat, I think it will be a little different on ubuntu.

See if you have:
    /usr/NX/share/client.id_dsa.key

Try:
    Code:
    cd <directory where the key is located>
    sudo mv client.id_dsa.key client.id_dsa.key.bak
    sudo nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key
    Fire the nxclient again.

Now, if you had used the "--setup-nomachine-key" in the first place, I would uninstall the freenx (sudo apt-get remove --purge freenx nxclient nxserver nxproxy nxagent) and clean-install it again.

Just a tip: try to copy a significant part of the error message into google and see what you find. That's what I usually do.
    Anyway, tell us what you got there.

Best,
    incubus
    Last edited by incubus; March 10th, 2005 at 12:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Incubus,
    I want to thank you for your assistance. Individuals of your kindness and dedication make the Linux community in general and the Ubuntu community in particular very appealing. Although I follow your guidance to the best of my knowledge, I could not make Freenx work for me. I will leave it until this weekend hopefully the wife will give me some room because I really want to access my Ubuntu box from work.

Be well my friend!
    joplass

Beans

I am in the same boat as you. I really don't understand why some people seem to breeze through this install and some (like us struggle mightily..

I finally managed to install freenx (with the right deb source) and setup with nxsetup, not reading carefully enough about the need for the nomachine-key.. Have tried to rename the config.key, have agt-get remove and re-installed.. All to no avail. Still same error as you.

Looking forward to any more tips..

Yuk!

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast