Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

I've packaged working freeNX in my warty-extras repository (see the Backports forum).

It's currently undergoing beta-testing in the -staging tree, I'll have it out of there by Jan 10th.
    Thanks! That backport worked great. I installed it last night and installed the windows client for my 2000 box at home. I was able to connect on my Lan no problem. I can't believe how fast this is. Much better than VNC. I just have a couple questions.

1. How secure is this? I know that this needs SSH running but I'm confused about security. When I create the Windows client session there is an option to use SSL for all traffic. I am able to connect with SSL on and off. Is this connection secure? And what about leaving this open to I can connect from work. Is that safe?

2. How do I get this to start at bootup?

Thanks for your help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    I've packaged working freeNX in my warty-extras repository (see the Backports forum).
    freenx depends upon a version of libstdc++ that I don't have, so I was unable to install it. Anything I can do to remedy this until the 10th? Thx.

Beans

Hi i was wondering if someone could give me some help. I've installed freenx on my linux box which is networked to all the computers in my house via a hub. I can use VNC to remote admin the linux box from my Windows XP computer however i wished to give freenx a try. Everything is installed right, i've setup a nomachine key etc via the original post. I'm using the nx windows client v1.4.0-92 to try get into the linux box. I've setup a user via nxserver adduser [name] and everything. I've got the nx client on the windows box set to Unix>GNOME cause i figured that's what the linux box is running, it's on ubuntu. I tried changing it to VNC and setting it up that way but i got the same error as below. I've also got SSL encryption enabled, i've also tried disabling it. I get this error:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 3492
    NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
    NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
    NX> 200 Connected to address: 169.254.125.206 on port: 22
    NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
    NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
    NX> 204 Authentication failed.

Thanks for the help.
    Pete.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Geekboy
    Thanks! That backport worked great. I installed it last night and installed the windows client for my 2000 box at home. I was able to connect on my Lan no problem. I can't believe how fast this is. Much better than VNC. I just have a couple questions.

1. How secure is this? I know that this needs SSH running but I'm confused about security. When I create the Windows client session there is an option to use SSL for all traffic. I am able to connect with SSL on and off. Is this connection secure? And what about leaving this open to I can connect from work. Is that safe?

2. How do I get this to start at bootup?

Thanks for your help.
    Good, good.

FreeNX goes through ssh security, so it's very secure. I always leave that checkbox checked -- else I get random connection errors. Again, all data through a FreeNX session is SSH encrypted.

2. FreeNX is nothing but SSH with a new user account (nx) with a special shell that talks the NX protocol. So, as long as SSH is started, NX will be started.

Person with libc errors: Post exact errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG
    Hi i was wondering if someone could give me some help. I've installed freenx on my linux box which is networked to all the computers in my house via a hub. I can use VNC to remote admin the linux box from my Windows XP computer however i wished to give freenx a try. Everything is installed right, i've setup a nomachine key etc via the original post. I'm using the nx windows client v1.4.0-92 to try get into the linux box. I've setup a user via nxserver adduser [name] and everything. I've got the nx client on the windows box set to Unix>GNOME cause i figured that's what the linux box is running, it's on ubuntu. I tried changing it to VNC and setting it up that way but i got the same error as below. I've also got SSL encryption enabled, i've also tried disabling it. I get this error:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 3492
    NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
    NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
    NX> 200 Connected to address: 169.254.125.206 on port: 22
    NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
    NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
    NX> 204 Authentication failed.

Thanks for the help.
    Pete.
    Make sure you used --setup-nomachine-key when running nxsetup. Otherwise, you need to carry around the new pubkey to every NX client. We talked about this earlier in the thread.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Make sure you used --setup-nomachine-key when running nxsetup. Otherwise, you need to carry around the new pubkey to every NX client. We talked about this earlier in the thread.
    As stated in my original post i've already done this.

Pete.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello All,

How can I install again freenx ? I made an error and deleted /home/.nx and now when I uninstall/reinstall freenx this directory is not created so when I run nxsetup I get some errors when 'nxsetup' tries to copy the ssh-keys.

++++++
    Searching for nxserver binary...done
    Setting up /etc/nxserver/ ...done
    Setting up /var/lib/nxserver/ ...done
    Setting up known_hosts and .ssh/authorized_keys2 ...open /home/.nx//.ssh/local.id_dsa failed: No such file or directory.
    Saving the key failed: /home/.nx//.ssh/local.id_dsa.
    mv: cannot stat `/home/.nx//.ssh/local.id_dsa': No such file or directory
    mv: cannot stat `/home/.nx//.ssh/local.id_dsa.pub': No such file or directory
    chmod: failed to get attributes of `/home/.nx//.ssh/client.id_dsa.key': No such file or directory
    chown: failed to get attributes of `/home/.nx//.ssh/client.id_dsa.key': No such file or directory
    chmod: failed to get attributes of `/home/.nx//.ssh/server.id_dsa.pub.key': No such file or directory
    chown: failed to get attributes of `/home/.nx//.ssh/server.id_dsa.pub.key': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `/home/.nx//.ssh/server.id_dsa.pub.key': No such file or directory
    +++++++

I want to run again all the installation scripts but uninstalling/installing isn't working (I've tried with 'apt-get --purge remove freenx etc etc)

Thanks for your help!
    LU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

use mkdir to creat /home/.nx/.ssh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'll do that but I'd have preferred to run again the initial scripts as to avoid any kind of mistake, like setting permissions..., it seems that apt can't do this (?)

Thanks for your answer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I haven't really dissected the debian package to see what it really does. This was the version developed by LinuxTag+Knoppix/Kanotix.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast