Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Could someone please tell the right way to get FreeNX on 5.04? I've seen the instructions at the beginning of this thread but have been hesitant to use it because I dont want to screw anything up using something that wasnt specifically meant for 5.04. I tried a regular apt-get install for freenx using the repositories in suggested on ubuntuguide.org but none of them had the package. I'd like it to work, but dont want to screw anything up. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    BT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hi there btdown,

I've put together a short guide on my web-site for setting up FreeNX on Hoary.

That should sort you out, if you get any troubles, let me know.

Daz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Thank you! Am checking it out right now...
    BT

UPDATE: Didnt work at first, but after I removed and purged all the files, as well as all the .nx and .ssh files and reinstalled, it did work fine. I chose to use the default nomachine keys.

I do get a gnome error after I've successfully logged in... a "Error activating XKB configuration". I just close the error and I dont think it affects anything, but its annoying. Anyone else run into this or know how to correct?
    Last edited by btdown; April 27th, 2005 at 12:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I also get those errors - but only when I am using a laptop to log-in to my PC.

Are you using a laptop to remote log-in as well?

From what I can work out this is just because the X server on the laptop (client) has a different keyboard layout/config to the one that Gnome expects from normal use. It doesn't do any harm, it's just annoying. Basically, just close the errors down.

I think once in a while you may get a 'do not show me this error again' option, but other than that i've not found a way to stop them coming up.

Sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

***EDIT***

Nevermind guys, I was able to get SSH tunneling of VNC working properly, and this is all I need. Thanks.

***EDIT***

I have followed the instructions on Daz's website, and everything goes fine. When I try to connect, the client connects fine and authorizes fine, and even brings up the indow it will eventually put the session in, but then it craps out and gives me the followinf details. Can anyone help? I am running the client on WinXP SP2 and the server on Ubuntu Hoary 5.04. TIA.

NXPROXY - Version 1.4.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2004 NoMachine.
    See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.

Info: Proxy running in client mode with pid '1756'.
    Info: Waiting for connection from any host on port '3574'.
    Info: Accepted connection from '127.0.0.1' on port '3654'.
    Info: Connection with remote proxy established.
    Info: Handshaking with remote proxy ':5000' completed.
    Info: Synchronizing local and remote caches.
    Info: Not using NX delta compression.
    Info: Using lan link parameters 16384/80/16/8192.
    Info: Using pack method '16m-jpeg-9' with session 'unix-gnome'.
    Info: Not using ZLIB stream compression.
    Info: Not using remote ZLIB stream compression.
    Info: Not using persistent cache.
    Info: Using remote server connected on port '3574'.
    Info: Starting X protocol compression.
    Info: Established X server connection.
    Warning: Not using shared memory support in X server.
    Info: End of session requested by remote proxy.
    Info: Shutting down the link and exiting.
    Last edited by t3rror; May 3rd, 2005 at 03:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hi t3rror,

I have seen this error before too, but i've only ever got it once...

I had no idea what was causing it, but found a slightly annoying solution (well, it worked in my case).

It seemed that something in my user settings on the Ubuntu box had went slightly iffy. All I did was make another user account, and I was able to happily log-in on that!

Then, just to make matters even more confusing - I set NX up on another Windows XP box - tried to log-in on my original account and it all started to work!

I think the first thing you need to do is to try the second user account approach, and fingers crossed this should work for you. Then to make life more managable on the new account just add it to the sudoers list all will be fine (i.e. you'll have full admin rights on the new account and can remove the old account if needs be).

If you have another PC about, it might be worth trying another install of the NX client on there - I have absoloutley no idea why it suddenly fixed it, but everything seemed to work after that for me!

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: How can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

One great use of NX seems to me to be the ability to run an application on its own without the desktop. E.g. use Firefox (with all my extensions and bookmarks, etc.) from work on a Windows PC, but running the application on my computer at home.

It doesn't quite work. I can get firefox running (a bit slowly), but the user is not me, so I don't get any of my settings. How do I run an NX session as myself, so it would get firefox prefs from my home directory?

Jack

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by santo
    How can i use FreeNX to connect to my current session/desktop, so I can
    continue the work I already started (i.e. like VNC/Krfb does) ?
    does anybody know how to set this up? I would rather resume/connect to a currently logged in session rather than starting a new one.

Thanks
    -MD

Beans

I too was getting the same error as t3rror (and someone else earlier in this topic): nxclient would connect, open up the window (showing the big !m logo) but then the window would close a moment later.

I think in my case it was caused by a locking problem with my .Xauthority file. On the machine you are connecting to, check for files called ".Xauthority-l" and ".Xauthority-c" in your home dir. Delete them if they exist. This seems to have solved the problem for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    I've put together a short guide on my web-site for setting up FreeNX on Hoary.
    Great guide Daz, you had me up and working in about three minutes flat. Thanks.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast