Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Okay, here some more info about what I tried.

I deleted everything in the /home/.nx/.ssh folder and ran the nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key again -> same error message as before.

I deleted everything in ~/.ssh -> same error message.

I created another user and tried with that. -> same error message.

In the beginning I tampered a little bit with the config file of ssh, so I think the problem is there.
    I will deinstall, delete every config file and reinstall ssh en freenx this evening and see what that gives. -> unless someone can post their unmodified config-files here so I can copy them over.

Thanks

Kind regards
    A-star

Beans
    Hidden!

A-star:

Clean installing is a good idea, but before doing that, what do you get if you try to connect your nxclient at home (localhost:8022)? The same message?

If you will proceed, pay attention to the following things:
    1. Which repository are you using? You're under Hoary, right? Are you using the backports' debs?

2. Purge every single file:
    "sudo apt-get remove --purge freenx nxserver nxclient nxagent libnxcomp0 libnxcompext0 nxlibs"

These are the files I remember freenx uses. Make sure you manually delete the /home/.nx/.ssh files too. And the keys under your "~/.ssh".

And don't give up!

Regards,
    incubus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

[QUOTE=incubus]A-star:

Clean installing is a good idea, but before doing that, what do you get if you try to connect your nxclient at home (localhost:8022)? The same message?[/quote
    I get this message:
    Code:
    NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 676
    NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
    NX> 200 Connected to address: 127.0.0.1 on port: 8022
    NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
    NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
    NX> 204 Authentication failed.
    If you will proceed, pay attention to the following things:
    1. Which repository are you using? You're under Hoary, right? Are you using the backports' debs?
    I'm using warty at this moment with the backports enabled

2. Purge every single file:
    "sudo apt-get remove --purge freenx nxserver nxclient nxagent libnxcomp0 libnxcompext0 nxlibs"
    These are the files I remember freenx uses. Make sure you manually delete the /home/.nx/.ssh files too. And the keys under your "~/.ssh".
    I'll try that this evening, since I have no physical access to the machine this evening.

And don't give up!
    I won't

kind regards
    Filip

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey A-star,

By reading your log it seems to me that there's still something wrong with the keys freenx uses to authenticate in your SSH.

I'm not a computer scientist -- actually I'm a political scientist --, so this is a guess. Try to check if you have similar (not identical) "known_hosts" and "authorized_keys" in:
    /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/
    /home/.nx/.ssh/

If things don't work out, maybe you'd better reinstall it.
    But you're very close to using freenx.

incubus
    Last edited by incubus; March 24th, 2005 at 02:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Yes,

After I deleted the old config files and reinstalled everything it began working.
    Thanks everyone for the help,
    I'm just a happy ubuntu-user now.

Kind regards
    A-star

Beans
    Hidden!

Great, A-star!
    I'm happy you did it, congratulations.
    I think freenx is really good, though it does need a few improvements.

See ya 'round!
    incubus

Beans

I setup freenx yesterday and it's working perfectly. However, I want the monitor connected to the host to show what i'm doing on the client. Is that at all possible with freenx? If so, what should I do to get it working the way I want to?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gman
    I setup freenx yesterday and it's working perfectly. However, I want the monitor connected to the host to show what i'm doing on the client. Is that at all possible with freenx? If so, what should I do to get it working the way I want to?
    No. I believe you can use VNC to do this. VNC is more mature than freenx. freenx is more for simpler(safer) remote desktop usage, as RDP in Winow world, and speed over very slow link.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    No. I believe you can use VNC to do this. VNC is more mature than freenx. freenx is more for simpler(safer) remote desktop usage, as RDP in Winow world, and speed over very slow link.
    That's like saying Evolution is more mature than Firefox because it handles emails better. VNC and freenx are meant to do quite diffferent things: VNC gives you control of a remote desktop, freenx gives you a session in a remote machine. Personally, I've been using freenx regularly for the last 4 months or so and it's been quite excellent.

Beans

Does anyone have a repository for ppc arch? I'm running ubuntu on my g4 and want to get freenx running on it.

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast