Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: Build Unity with 'Dodge Windows' and minimize/unminimize behavior

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOW-TO: Build Unity with 'Dodge Windows' and minimize/unminimize behavior

Since this isn't the most user-friendly tutorial, I've decided to figure out how to setup and start a PPA (I didn't realize it was so complicated). In any case, I've tried my best to create "proper" packages and I'm awaiting the build farm to complete the builds.

I'll test the packages and make sure there aren't any harmful side-effects before I publish them. Hopefully, they'll turn out okay so others can go ahead take advantage of the PPA.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans
    Distro

Alright, guys...

Now, I realize that for novice users (or even those who abhor the terminal), building Unity just for a couple features seems kind of silly. So, I decided to sit down last night and try to figure out packaging and PPAs...

So, if you were hesitant about trying this before, you can now add my PPA if you feel more comfortable doing that.

NOTE: Since I'm running 32-bit, I've only tested the i386 packages. I'll need someone running 64-bit to let me know if it works okay.

NOTE: If you followed the tutorial originally, please remove ~/.compiz-1 and the 'staging' folder before you do this.

Add my PPA by doing this:

Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ikarosdev/unity-revamped
    ...then, simply run an update:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    ...That's it!

If you'd like to revert back to the offical Ubuntu packages, simply use PPA-purge. First, ensure it is installed:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    ...then, remove my PPA:

Code:
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:ikarosdev/unity-revamped
    I've tried this on a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit. Like I said, my PPA contains 64-bit packages, but they have not been tested. I attempted my best to make "proper" packages, but I'm no expert. Use my PPA at your own peril!

I'll try my best to keep these builds up-to-date with the official Unity packages, but I can't make any promises. Good luck, guys!
    Last edited by isaacj87; April 29th, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans

It works perfect on 64 bit too. Thanks
    Last edited by mgt2000; April 29th, 2012 at 07:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ack, it works on 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for testing it for me, guys. I'm glad that it's working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

oh man, works perfectly on 64bit!!

thanks so much, i really was missing this!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for reporting back. The original post has been updated to recommend the PPA installation method.

Beans

Has anyone tried this in VirtualBox? I haven't been able to get it to work. The scripts for the dodge window feature didn't work either, but then it also didn't work on my Netbook.

You can see here it's not working. Also the minimize from clicking the launcher icon didn't work either.

I'm using the 12.04 desktop 64 bit version in VirtualBox.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LividLindy View Post
    Has anyone tried this in VirtualBox? I haven't been able to get it to work. The scripts for the dodge window feature didn't work either, but then it also didn't work on my Netbook.

You can see here it's not working. Also the minimize from clicking the launcher icon didn't work either.

I'm using the 12.04 desktop 64 bit version in VirtualBox.
    From what I can tell, you're not using Unity-3D in that picture; it looks like Unity-2D is running. This is probably because 3D acceleration isn't enabled for your virtual machine.

AFAIK, 'dodge windows' only works on Unity-3D.

Beans

unity-2d does still have it's own version of dodge that works quite poorly at times (new windows on a empty workspace always open under the launcher which doesn't dodge them

It does appear that LividLindy is on unity-2d, in unity 3d the launcher would be colored among other things

This would show plainly
    Code:
    echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
    (- 12.10 will display quite plainly whether on unity (3d) or unity-2d, made a suggestion for 12.04 that involved a simple 3 character source edit to unity-2d but was rejected - wanted a unity-2d to show ubuntu-2d in the left corner of the panel panel instead of ubuntu like unity 3d

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast