Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: network printer bricked(?) by win xp in virtualbox

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: network printer bricked(?) by win xp in virtualbox

Thank you mips!

I will try what you suggested and report the result.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post

Ok, back to your problem. Your printer has a incorrect IP address, reassign it a IP address in the 192.168.0.x range and edit your /etc/hosts to reverse whatever you did.

Code:
    192.168.0.7	BRN001BA9712324
    #10.0.2.48	BRN001BA9712324
    Done
    Go into XP and uninstall the driver and settings for the printer, I'm not sure how brother works but it might just reconfigure it every time you start xp.

shut down xp and then rest the printer to default settings so it gets a IP from DHCP,
    This was already done when I started the thread
    next edit your etc/hosts file and comment out the 10. address. you should be able to rpint from linux now.

If you have to instal the driver in XP make sure you point it to the 192 address and don't let it configure it for a 10. address. It tires to configure it with a 10. address because it sees it as directly connected to the 10. LAN winxp sits in and does not realise it's natted.
    I'll start testing ...

Beans
    Hidden!

I have uninstalled the Brother printer driver from winxp in vbox (long ago, and I checked it last night: nothing found). I have changed /etc/hosts in Ubuntu 10.04, changed the reserved IP table in the router and restarted the whole environment: router, printer, computer(s). Finally a made a new attempt(?) to reset the printer.

I made a complete poweroff for several minutes. Vbox is not started. Still somewhere there is a trace left, so that the printer thinks it has the IP adress 10.0.2.48, as seen by the router, but it is not responsive in the network.

Could the bad IP address be stored in the printer's ethernet interface? Or am I overlooking something?

Edit: now, after about 50 minutes (without reboot), the router is not seeing anything at 10.0.2.48, it does not see the printer at all. It is not responding to ping, neither at
    192.168.0.7 nor 10.0.2.48

Code:
    $ ping BRN001BA9712324
    PING BRN001BA9712324 (192.168.0.7) 56(84) bytes of data.
    From April-2008 (192.168.0.2) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
    ^C
    --- BRN001BA9712324 ping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 0 received, +9 errors, 100% packet loss, time 9048ms

$ ping 10.0.2.48
    PING 10.0.2.48 (10.0.2.48) 56(84) bytes of data.
    ^C
    --- 10.0.2.48 ping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 9072ms
    Last edited by sudodus; May 8th, 2012 at 08:38 AM.

Beans

Yes the IP can be stored if the windows gui installer configured it.

Press Go three times within 2 seconds to print network settings information.

From the Brother network manual:

Code:
    Reset the network settings to the factory default

You can reset the print server back to its default factory 
    settings (resetting all information such as the password 
    and IP address information). 

a. Turn off the machine.
    b. Make sure that the front cover is closed and the
       power cord is plugged in.
    c. Hold down Go as you turn on the power switch. Keep
       Go pressed down until all the LEDs light up and then
       Ready LED turns off.
    d. Release Go. Make sure that all the LEDs turn off.
    e. Press Go six times. Make sure that all the LEDs light
       up to indicate the print server has been reset to its
       factory default settings. The machine will restart.
    After you have done this wait 2 minutes or so and then print another settings page.
    Last edited by mips; May 8th, 2012 at 08:51 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes the IP can be stored if the windows gui installer configured it.

If you print a test page by pressing the go button on the printer does it give you any config info on that test page?

From the Brother network manual:
    Yes, it has stated for a long time (when printing the printer settings)
    IP Address 10.0.2.48 (set manually)
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    IP Gateway 192.168.0.1
    Boot method STATIC

And this is although I have used the method you quoted (pressing the button and looking at the LEDs) several times, also today. There is one thing, that might screw things up: I have a warning, that the toner is low. It is still printing very well (via USB), but maybe that warning status prevents complete resetting.

Edit: the printer settings output shows graphically, that there should be ~40% left of the toner, so it is not very low.
    Last edited by sudodus; May 8th, 2012 at 08:55 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Yes, it has stated for a long time (when printing the printer settings)
    IP Address 10.0.2.48 (set manually)
    IP Gateway 192.168.0.1
    Boot method STATIC

And this is although I have used the method you quoted (pressing the button and looking at the LEDs) several times, also today.
    You sure you are doing it right?

If the reset procedure does not work then:

a. directly connect a pc to the printer via a crossover ethernet cable. Configure the pc with a 10.0.2.50 ip address and try and access it via it's web interface to reset.

b. reconfigure your entire network, pc & router to the 10.0.2.0 network and try and connect to it via it's web interface.

Beans
    Hidden!

You sure you are doing it right?
    No, I'd be crazy to be 100% sure
    If the reset procedure does not work then:

a. directly connect a pc to the printer via a crossover ethernet cable. Configure the pc with a 10.0.2.50 ip address and try and access it via it's web interface to reset.
    I have an ethernet crossover cable somewhere. How do I configure the PC's IP address in this case?

And would it be hard to reverse, in other words, should I do it booted from a live Ubuntu USB drive? Would it be easier to do it from a PC with WinXP installed (direct install, no vbox)? Suggest whatever is easy for you to guide
    b. reconfigure your entire network, pc & router to the 10.0.2.0 network and try and connect to it via it's web interface.
    This would be the last option.

Beans

No, I'd be crazy to be 100% sure
    I have an ethernet crossover cable somewhere. How do I configure the PC's IP address in this case?

And would it be hard to reverse, in other words, should I do it booted from a live Ubuntu USB drive? Would it be easier to do it from a PC with WinXP installed (direct install, no vbox)? Suggest whatever is easy for you to guide

Yeah, boot with a livecd if you don't wanna make any changes.
    Configure your IP address manually:
    IP- 10.0.2.10
    Netmask- 255.255.255.0
    You don't need to configure a gateway but if you must just use 10.0.2.1 not that it will be useful for anything.
    See if you can ping the printer.

If you still have no luck then try a XP machine connected to it with the brither configuration utility. XP machine will use the same IP details as above.

If you wanna livechat at any stage during this join me on IRC, irc.freenode.net, #mips1911 might be faster than going backwards and forwards here.

This would be the last option.
    That I would agree with
    Last edited by mips; May 8th, 2012 at 12:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Supported by you, mips, as well as the following link, I set up a crossover network with my IBM T41 laptop with Lubuntu 12.04 live, and when I ping to 10.0.2.48 I get response and no packet loss I guess the next step is to try to log in to the printer10.0.2.48 via the network.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/file-transfer-using-ethernet-cross-over-cable-802756/
    or more specifically this reply

SUCCESS! Thanks everyone!
    [Originally Posted by damgar]
    In your set up you will have 2 servers. Any machine sharing it's resources is a server.

Set an IP on each computer's ethernet port, if there's only one than that is eth0, to be in the same subnet. Like :

Code:
    desktop
    IP address 192.168.1.5
    gateway 192.168.1.6

laptop
    IP address 192.168.1.6
    gateway 192.168.1.5
    The gateways may not even be neccessary, but can't hurt. You'll have to make sure that they are in the same workgroup, at my house I call it "workgroup" because I'm lazy and it's easy.

The IP addresses can be set in NetworkManager (the little computer icons on the panel)if you don't see it, use the "add to panel" feature to enable it.

Then in places go to network and if it doesn't see the other machine try clicking on "windows network" or something to that effect, use context clues.

Post back if you can't get it from there.
    I setup the system as you suggested and it works fine. It is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for everyones help.

Beans

I guess the next step is to try to log in to the printer10.0.2.48 via the network.
    Open a web browser and use this url to connect to it, http://10.0.2.48/

Default login details are,
    User: admin
    Password: access

You can now change the IP details to match your 192.168.0.x network and save it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast