Thread: Installing Ubuntu Server on a blade server

Beans

Installing Ubuntu Server on a blade server

I will be buying a blade server to learn how to use them and experiment with them. How would I install the linux operating system on it if there is no monitor or keyboard attached to it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installing Ubuntu Server on a blade server

You'd have to hook up a monitor and keyboard to it?

Unless it's a VPS, you'd have to do it from the console.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As Charles said, just put the server on the bench and use a keyboard and mouse to install Ubuntu. Once everything is running as you like, you just disconnect the peripherals and slide the box into the rack. From then on, it's SSH all the way.

If the device doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, you'll need to boot from a USB pendrive. Also if the server has a hardware RAID controller, you'll need to check and make sure it's supported in Ubuntu. I had good luck with the PERC controllers on Dells since the driver was written by RedHat and is included by default in both the CentOS and Ubuntu kernel images. I'm running CentOS 6 on a Dell R410, and the installer detected the card and installed the driver without any additional effort on my part. I had similar success when I tested Ubuntu Server 10.04 on the same hardware.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    As Charles said, just put the server on the bench and use a keyboard and mouse to install Ubuntu. Once everything is running as you like, you just disconnect the peripherals and slide the box into the rack. From then on, it's SSH all the way.
    That's pretty much what I do with my server. The only thing hooked up to it now is power and network. SSH is quite useful.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...