Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Quote Originally Posted by parrjd2 View Post
    Possible work-around (it worked for me)
    I also have a Canon MP530 - after upgrading to 12.04 from 11.10 I noticed my print speed slowed down noticeably (almost 5 minutes for a 1 page b&w document)!

So I tried a few 'out of the box' tests to see if I could get back to reasonable print speeds with my Canon.

1 - Installed Fuduntu 2012-3 onto another partition; Hooray! that same 1 page doc now printed in less than 30 seconds under Fuduntu.

2 - went back to Ubuntu 12.04 partition and then deleted it. Then I loaded Ubuntu 11.10 onto that partition (after formatting it to ext4). Under Unity (sigh..) I printed the same 1 page doc - Great! it now prints in less than 30 seconds (very acceptable for the MP530).

3 - Final test (I like Cinnamon over Unity); installed Cinnamon onto the 11.10 system.
    Next I ran the same 1 page doc print test - Yes! still under 30 seconds.

Like others I feel there are some real issues in CUPS for non HP printers under 12.04.
    Not sure if you want to go back to 11.10 but it appears (at least to me) to work a lot faster than the 12.04 CUPS.... (Your mileage may vary).

Cheers, J
    thanks, but that's a lot of "around"! I still have a Lucid install on one of my partitions, and though I had a lot of issues with this printer there as well -- I am never buying a Canon printer again -- the last time I booted it up it was working, so I do have that as an option. plus I like Unity!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just to add...
    Epson Stylus on USB didn't work after upgrade. All I had to do was go go system settings > printers, delete the printer, and re-add it. This seemed to search for new drivers and the printer worked normally after that.
    Ubuntu... [ok]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Canon seem to get a bad rap..but they provide open source drivers for linux & they work.
    They may deserve it for the cost of ink cartridges but not for providing good drivers.

The current ppa for canon drivers:
    https://launchpad.net/~michael-gruz/...ve/canon-trunk

Beans

Im having similar issues with my Canon mx320. Was working initially, but stopped. Similar
    failed to CreateProfile: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id errors.

Beans
    Distro

Somebody get Conanical to roll back the package

Beans

I have Ubuntu 12.04 x64 with a tm-t20 epson thermal printer, sometimes prints, but sometimes gives me this error at cups web interface:

tm-t20-212 Unknown Withheld 2k 1 stopped
    "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstopdf failed"

Or sometimes I see that the Job is complete at the job list, but the printer doesn't print nothing.

cups logs:

W [28/Sep/2012:14:35:43 -0300] failed to CreateDevice: org.freedesktop. ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id 'cups-tm-t20' already exists
    W [28/Sep/2012:14:35:43 -0300] failed to CreateProfile: org.freedesktop. ColorManager.AlreadyExistsrofile id 'tm-t20-Gray..' already exists
    W [28/Sep/2012:14:35:43 -0300] failed to CreateDevice: org.freedesktop. ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id 'cups-tm-t20' already exists

Sometimes it cut the paper, sometimes not.

I installed the official drivers provided by Epson.

Beans
    Distro

Solution

Don't install any PPA for the drivers.

Click the Cog up in the right-hand corner and select Printers.

Turn on the printer and make sure it is connected.

When the Printers windows appears, click +Add and wait a few minutes.

Your printer should appear within the configuration wizard. Mine did and its an Canon MX330.

Click the defaults and continue on. Cups should identify your printer. I saw a few other models in the list.

I was able to successfully print a test page afterwards.
    Last edited by salemboot; October 1st, 2012 at 01:13 AM.

Beans

Re: Solution

The printing system in recent linux versions, and MacOSX consistes of:
    1) CUPS, which has some core backends and filters;
    2) a batch of filters and backends that used to be in CUPS but are not maintained by Openprinting.org (like pstopdf);
    3) printer drivers, like gutenprint, or the Canon drivers people download from the PPA.
    4) PPD files, like those from gutenprint (for the printers supported in gutenprint), generic ones (for printers that handle PS, for example) or the Foomatic project.

CUPS shows the available PPDs, and the information displayed also shows which driver is used (e.g., generic PCL or PS, or gutenprint, etc.).

A lot of the errors reported are not actually in CUPS, but in the print filters that CUPS no longer maintains. So the debug output of CUPS should be set and consulted to ascertain what exactly the error is owing to.
    Learning the mechanism requires good teachers and dedication

Beans

I do not know if this is the same bug.

I have a lexmark CD543 laser printer, it has been working fine under 10.04 but since upgrading to 12.04 it will only print one job.

First job of the day prints fine.

Next job goes through the spooler and shows as "completed", with the right file size, but nothing happens at the printer. No error shows.

To print, first reboot. This is a pain, so I now find that restarting cups does it -
    Code:
    sudo restart cups
    But restarting cups for every job is hardly a decent solution.

Beans

had the same issue, printer would install but then would not print, giving the message "The printer is busy". Found the following fix on another website, it worked like a charm for me.

It worked the only other thing i had to do was change the protocol from line printer daemon to HP Jetdirect - socket. Then i connected by the IP address and worked.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast