Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Quote Originally Posted by aikishugyo View Post
    I've read the entire theread wihtout seeing a single lines from CUPS logs anywhere. Very odd!
    Just thought I would add my voice to the crowd...

I have a Canon iP4000. I just posted a thread here about some issues i've been having. I seem to be having issues at the kernel level. If anyone is interested, I posted some errors I found in my cups log file

If anyone has been getting this in their syslogs, I would be interested to hear about it:

can't set config #1, error -110

This happens with my server and desktop when connecting the printer. Both are running precise. Any ideas?

Details can be found in the above thread.

violinuxer
    Last edited by violinuxer; July 8th, 2012 at 11:33 PM.

Beans

My printer is Xerox Phaser 3140, it's connected to my USR9108 router and was working smoothly on http:// until this bloody 12.04! It's been months, I removed and re-installed almost everything regarding the printer, tried past versions and now there's an update error about the cups server due to some missing dependencies. I gave up...

Beans

Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon Flavored here.

I had the same kinds of problems using LM13. There was a post on the LM13 forums that solved it for me. -- Since LM13 is based on U12.04 maybe the same solution will work here.

Sorry. I did not preserve a link to the LM forum post. My notes say:

The menu system for configuring printers is not connected to the correct application.

At the command line say: system-config-printer

When the application comes up, the Help->About should say 1.3.8 if you your machine has all updates applied (on 11-Jul-2012).

Use the application to configure printers.
    Hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I have CUPS 1.5.3 installed on my Ubuntu 12.04 server and It's still broken on my system. I had a backup of my old 8.04 server and I booted into the backup. I was able to print on CUPS 1.3.7. The printer settings are identical for both versions so there's defintely still a problem with the new CUPS.

I'm using an HP laserjet 1020 attached with usb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Just to add my two cents worth if anyone is interested. I have a HP 6500 wireless that prints scans and I can even send faxes from my laptop via the wireless network. If I were using a CAnon printer and having all the problems I have been reading about in this thread I thin I would change printer brands. I'm not a big fan of HP by any means, there computers and laptops suck, but they do support Linux with their printers. The HPLIP is a fantastic toolbox for use in Ubuntu and works fine no hassles. Hope this might give somebody an idea for hassle free printing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aikishugyo View Post
    I've read the entire theread wihtout seeing a single lines from CUPS logs anywhere. Very odd!
    If something does not work in CUPS, the first thing to do should be to enable debugging in the log file and then see what is the result.
    The reason is simple:
    - either it is a problem with CUPS
    - or it is a problem with gutenprint
    - or the Canon driver

At least for the first two, this should be clear from the logs. As the maintainer of the Canon backend for the gutenprint project, I am very much interested in resolving bugs in the Canon backend, but this is impossible when the bugs are not clearly isolated.

Currently, I have some bugs proven for the pro series, and I am trying to collect useable information on possible bugs with other Canon devices.

Regards,
    Gernot Hassenpflug
    Hello Gernot,

I would be happy to post some log info if it will help, but how do I turn on debugging for CUPS? Thanks!

Canon MF8050cn, network connected, 12.04 64-bit.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rickm1945 View Post
    Just to add my two cents worth if anyone is interested. I have a HP 6500 wireless that prints scans and I can even send faxes from my laptop via the wireless network. If I were using a CAnon printer and having all the problems I have been reading about in this thread I thin I would change printer brands. I'm not a big fan of HP by any means, there computers and laptops suck, but they do support Linux with their printers. The HPLIP is a fantastic toolbox for use in Ubuntu and works fine no hassles. Hope this might give somebody an idea for hassle free printing.
    Yeah, that's real helpful! FWIW, HP printers (at least the inkjet variety) suck as bad as their computers and laptops. And what do you suggest I do with my Canon color laser? Use it as a boat anchor?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

@kf7nnz, on the main CUPS web interface page, just click the View Logs and select Error Log, or something like that (I am not at the PC where I use CUPS, right now). It will give you plenty of info that could be used for a bug report.

Also, is your printer direct connected or networked? If it is networked, you probably need package cups-bjnp, or something closely related to it. I had to get it from a Launchpad PPA.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

@ratcheer - How do I get to the main CUPS web interface page? I tried http://localhost:631 but I don't see anything about logs on that page.

My printer is networked. I saw the suggestion you had posted earlier re: cups-bjnp. I tried adding that PPA but I got an error to the effect of "not found" (don't remember exactly as that was last night).

ETA: Just tried it again. I had misspelled "robbiew". The PPA added but when I tried "sudo apt-get install cups-bjnp" I get "E: Unable to locate package cups-bjnp"

I downloaded a Linux driver from Canon. It is in the RPM package format. I installed a package called alien to convert the RPMs to DEB format. Everything seems to go smoothly - Find network printer finds and correctly identifies the printer (Canon-MF8050), and find driver finds and correctly identifies the driver (Canon-MF8000-UFRII-LT). I am able to ping the printer and get a reply. But when I click Print Test Page, Printer State changes from "Idle" to "Idle - /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoufr2cpca failed".
    Last edited by kf7nnz; August 5th, 2012 at 11:17 PM.

Beans

Red face Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Quote Originally Posted by kf7nnz View Post
    @ratcheer - How do I get to the main CUPS web interface page? I tried http://localhost:631 but I don't see anything about logs on that page.
    Sorry, like I said, I was not at my PC that uses CUPS when I wrote that message.

From the page you referenced, click on the Administration tab. Then in the upper right area of the screen, there should be a button labeled "View error log".

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

There is a printing problem, since the latest updates in Ubuntu 12.04. My Canon Printer MP 270 and now since a few days it only prints incomplete pages (half of it). This also applies for testpage printing. Same of the updates do not work.
    Printing was working now for me since Ubuntu 10.10 (always same printer).
    Printer is OK works under Win 7.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast