Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

After doing an upgrade to 12.10 and trying to use my Windows network printer accessed via Samba, I just get the reply 'filter failed'.
    The printer is a Lexmark X1150.
    What's going on here, this printer has worked for years with previous versions, it really shouldn't be a problem?

Beans

Agree. Cups seesm broken on 12.04 LTS.

Upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS a week ago, cannot print to HP color LasorJet 5550 since then. Was printing fine with Ubuntu 10.04!

I've seen all the big name printers are not working on this forum under CUPS on Ubuntu 12.04 and were all working fine under previous version.
    Canon, Lexmark, Brother, HP... you name it.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS stable version should not be released with such a big issue!

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

CUPS is broken for me too...

My setup:

12.04LTS server (64 bit) with a Brother HL-2140 connected to it directly through a USB cable.

The server itself can print to the printer, and the printer is visible from the CUPS administration web page. (localhost:631)

My other ubuntu boxes that are all 12.04LTS workstations can see the printer share through CUPS but when I issue a print job or test page I get the error message that the printer is "not responding".

I've googled and googled... my only suspicion is that it's an apparmor problem - even though I have configured apparmor to just "complain" about CUPS problems.

Whether apparmor is in "enforce" or "complain" mode for the the server doesn't seem to affect local printing from the server. The server can always print - the client computers have never been able to print.

This all worked under 11.10 and earlier versions.

In addition - I have a raspberry pi that is running debian with the same version of CUPS and everything works. Local shares, remote shares, everything. I'm about to punt and just use the PI for printing but I shouldn't have to...

HELP!

Beans
    Hidden!

Bump

Beans
    Hidden!

Anyone?

In summary:

(1) I can print locally from the server.
    (2) I can find / install the printer from the clients (12.04LTS desktops)
    (3) Attempts to print from the clients results in "Processing - The printer is not responding." messages.

Otherwise the printer shows as being "IDLE" after I clear the print queue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hello jon_herr,

You are not alone. I am running 12.04.2 LTS (in classic mode) and can not get my Epson DX 5050 to run. Using simplescan it will scan into the computer but it will not print.
    However I just plugged in my older Epson R200 and it just printed as though it had never been unplugged for four years or more.
    There does seem to be what is known as "A noisey silence" about the matter. Even an enormous update of a couple of days ago included nothing that has made any difference.

HELP

Beans

Hello,

just postet about an year ago that my printer Canon i560 was not able to print.
    However he hase gone over the edge now
    So I bought a new one Canon Pixma MG6250
    Here are no problems with printing.
    Cups works finde and the printer works also really good.
    Installing was not difficult. Also via WiFi priniting is possible.

So I think maybe it dont work with old printers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I have found out what my problem was.
    Even though 12.04 recognises the printer it is still necessary to tell the bloody stupid thing to use it by turning it on though system settings.
    Is this common or just my copy???

Beans

I've had similar issues with CUPS under 12.04. My Canon iP4200 which works fine under Ubuntu 11.10 or 12.10 fails to print grayscale under 12.04.

I've been able to work around the issue in two ways: install 5.0.1 driver from openprinting.org, or manually build and install libgutenprint.so.3.0.0 from gutenprint 5.2.8 (see Bug #1151207 @ Launchpad for more details).

My impression is that the problem is that Ubuntu 12.04 is delivered with GutenPrint 5.2.8-pre1, earlier and later versions of GutenPrint appear to be more stable.

Is there a supported way to upgrade Ubuntu 12.04 from gutenprint 5.2.8-pre1 to 5.2.8 (or 5.2.9)?

Thanks,
    Alistair

Beans
    Hidden!

Thumbs down Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

My symptoms are different...

I CAN print locally on the server through CUPS to my Brother printer as described.

I cannot print remotely either through CUPS or SAMBA.

* CUPS jobs from remote clients are denied - yes they have legit accounts and passwords.
    * Jobs from samba make it in to the samba inbox but never print.

Both of these methods worked in 10.04LTS

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast