Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Just wanted to mention that I seem to have the a similar problem with a Toshiba 3540 (Office MFP).

It prints the test page, but no the Ubuntu test page; a page with an error: "PS error: invalidaccess".
    After updating to 12.04 it worked fine on PDF documents and pictures, but anything with text (documents or excel sheets, etc) would come up with the above error.
    Now nothing works and I only are able to print a first time after reinstalling, afterwards the printer seems to be offline or out of paper, evenso this isn't the case.

I've tried removing cups, removing the printer driver, trying different drivers, updating cups (unsucessfully) to 1.5.3 and many combinations of them all.

This is our office printer and I require is all the time. My solution meanwhile is asking colleagues to print documents or to transfer the file on a spare windows laptop.

I'm not hoping to get any solutions from here, but just to mention my problem.

Jah bless!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by old_dog View Post
    A lot of people seem to be having a problem with 12.04 and in particular Canon printers. Can we expect a solution to be forthcoming? the reason I ask is that I have been sitting on my hands waiting.
    Do I start attempting some hare-brained scheme of my own that I know will end in disaster and a complete re-install.
    Cheers old_dog
    Just use a VM to print until it's resolved. Install Kubuntu or another KDE distro in VBox. Then spend the time you save by not re-installing learning the how CUPS works so you can troubleshoot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NLinTKO View Post
    It looks like those are for network printing. My problem is exists for USB attached as well.

When I get some time, I'm going to dive under the hood, and figure this out, you'll see

Fortunately I have KDE installed as well, so I have lost much time because of it.

Beans

Hope CUPS 1.5.3 will resolve this situation. Does anybody know when it could be expected?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I recently upgraded from 10.10 to 12.04, where cups-pdf was working perfectly fine but now it's useless because of of a bug where it is converting all text to images than embedding them as text. All the text printed to PDF is bloody useless as it can't be copied it is like having paper.

The bug seems to reported here, as usual it has been marked as wishlist for 11.10.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...df/+bug/820820
    It has to do with cups doing an unnecessary conversion in the middle.

I have also created another bug report for 12.04.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...f/+bug/1003883
    Last edited by pt123; May 24th, 2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: bug url fixed

Beans

I originally posted to this forum:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1971177

Here is my modified repost:
    I also have a system issue using my new install of Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit with my HP 4050TN, which is connected via parallel port. I can print from Libre Office, but not Thunderbird email or FireFox as it prints the email header and then only the first four lines. Then I get three vertical lines on the left and a new boxed error page that reports this:

HP LaserJet 4050 Series
    2014.116 0

I also need this printer with my system and this seems to be a bug. I see some people don't see an issue with KDE, but I have had an issue for quite some time. Can some one take action as this seems quite serious?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DrDee View Post
    I originally posted to this forum:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1971177

Here is my modified repost:
    I also have a system issue using my new install of Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit with my HP 4050TN, which is connected via parallel port. I can print from Libre Office, but not Thunderbird email or FireFox as it prints the email header and then only the first four lines. Then I get three vertical lines on the left and a new boxed error page that reports this:

HP LaserJet 4050 Series
    2014.116 0

I also need this printer with my system and this seems to be a bug. I see some people don't see an issue with KDE, but I have had an issue for quite some time. Can some one take action as this seems quite serious?

I don't have any problems in KDE, but this appears to be a different bug from what I'm experiencing. I can't print from any application.

I haven't tried firefox or t-bird under kde though, because I never use them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jitro72 View Post
    Hope CUPS 1.5.3 will resolve this situation. Does anybody know when it could be expected?
    This may be slightly off topic, but I can report that I have gotten my Canon MP620 working in Siduction 12.1 (a derivative of Debian sid), which is using CUPS 1.5.3. It was not easy, because CUPS detected the printer, but not its address. So I followed some instructions in the CUPS doc to add the printer to my hosts file and add its MAC address and IP address to dhcpd.conf. Viola!

I find it mildly amusing that this offshoot of Debian testing running the very latest 3.4 Linux kernel allows me to use my printer while the "thoroughly tested" Ubuntu LTS does not.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Post Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

CUPS 1.5.3 is now in proposed release status for Precise, as of about 14 hours ago.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...1.5.3-0ubuntu1

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

I have managed to solve my 12.04 printing problems with things from two PPA's.

First, I found package cups-bjnp (which seems to stand for "bubble jet network printer") in Robbie Williamson's PPA. After installing it, I was able to setup and use my printer with a CUPS driver named "CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.8-pre".

Then, I came across an answer on AskUbuntu that led me to take a closer look at Michael Gruz's PPA's. One of them had been recommended to me previously, but when I tried to install from it, apt-get failed. But today, I dug into his page and found that he has several PPA's, one of which is named "Canon printer driver daily". It has some drivers for Precise. So, I loaded that PPA and was able to find and install driver "Canon MP630 series Ver.3.00". The package name is "cnijfilter-mp630series". And it works, too.

So, I have been wrong about 12.04 and CUPS 1.5.2. They can be made to work, although certainly not "out of the box".

Tim

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast