Thread: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Hello,

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for my venerable father, (87 years!) Cups unfortunately seems clearly broken on this OS release, and I was not able to setup functionally his Canon i-SENSYS mf4270 network printer. Meanwhile I've choose a Dell 3110cn also available on our network which works perfectly under this OS. (With 10.04 LTS Ubuntu version, Cups correctly handles this Canon printer...)

Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you!

Regards,
    Palmer.

PS:

I have not either unfortunately found a plugin for GKrellM for a Dell Vostro 410 for this OS vesion...
    Last edited by Palmer Eldritch; May 3rd, 2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Restored default font size. Please use defaults

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

During the past five months I have seen any number of updates for CUPS come through in 12.04. A lot work has been done. Too much for it to be written off as broken, just like that.

Perhaps you need a driver. I have seen libraries for HP and Brother printers listed in Synaptic but nothing for Canon.

here is a link to their page.

http://www.canon-europe.com/support/software/linux/

The last version of Ubuntu that Canon tested their Linux driver with was 7.04. Perhaps it is more accurate to say that Canon is broken in Linux.

Regards

P.S. Here is a link to a driver that might work:

https://launchpad.net/~michael-gruz/+archive/canon
    Last edited by grahammechanical; April 28th, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

for me, my Canon iP4600 stopped working reliably after the upgrade to 12.04. And I tried now for hours to get it to work.... without success.

12.04 recognizes the printer and installs a driver. Also I can print test-pages. But otherwise print-jobs just hang or never execute about 50% of the time.

Something seems totally broken here.

Does anyone know how to do a clean reinstall of CUPS?

Beans

Hello,

Thank you Grahammechanical for your response, but I am not exaggerating by saying Cups seems broken in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as it is clearly the case, we have to call a spade a spade!

This does not seems specific to Ubuntu, but also affects other distributions of Linux, this is clearly the latest version of Cups which seems to be the cause.

On our home network we have two other PCs with ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and this network Canon printer works perfectly with the Cups driver from the Canon website.

As reported by Barri, the print test fails with the following error message: “Inactive - File ‘/ usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoufr2cpca’ not available: No such file or directory"; I tried to add the file from an installation of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, but it does not solve the problem…

In my opinion it is a very serious problem for an LTS release, Canon is not an exotic brand, there was a lot of Canon printers sold worldwide!

Regards
    Palmer.
    Last edited by Palmer Eldritch; April 29th, 2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Restored default font size.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by barri View Post
    for me, my Canon iP4600 stopped working reliably after the upgrade to 12.04. And I tried now for hours to get it to work.... without success.

12.04 recognizes the printer and installs a driver. Also I can print test-pages. But otherwise print-jobs just hang or never execute about 50% of the time.

Something seems totally broken here.

Does anyone know how to do a clean reinstall of CUPS?
    Hello,

I didn’t even succeed to print a page test, but you ask the right question!

Regards,
    Palmer.
    Last edited by coffeecat; April 29th, 2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Restored default font size.

Beans

Hello,

On the North American Canon website there is a newer version of the driver:

- Canon UFR II Printer Driver for Linux Version 2.40 (Direct link)

It seems to have been tested in Ubuntu version 11.04, maybe someone had installed this version?

I will also try to reinstall cups-client_1.5.2-9ubuntu1_i386.deb ...

This may be perhaps a solution?

Regards,
    Palmer.

Beans

Hello all

I have also strong opinion that something is broken - printing to two printers (HP p2015d, WM20i) stopped to work after upgrade to 12.04.

I have error messages cups-ipp-missing-printer-state-reasons and cups-ipp-missing-validate-jod. Perhaps relevant to http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+so...ps/+bug/945028

Is it possible to downgrade cups to the Ubuntu version 10.10 ?

Thanks.
    Robert

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer Eldritch View Post
    Hello,

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for my venerable father, (87 years!) Cups unfortunately seems clearly broken on this OS release, and I was not able to setup functionally his Canon i-SENSYS mf4270 network printer. Meanwhile I've choose a Dell 3110cn also available on our network which works perfectly under this OS. (With 10.04 LTS Ubuntu version, Cups correctly handles this Canon printer...)

Does anyone have a solution?
    I don't know a solution, but I AGREE with you. 12.04 broke printing!

I have had zero problems with my printers using 10.04. But when I installed 12.04 I have not been able to get any of the printers to print.
    Idea #26902: Give users "global control" over applications' outgoing internet connections
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26902

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I found this on another thread and it worked to fix my printer problem.
    From the terminal run "sudo system-config-printer" then select the correct driver for your printer.
    Here is the link to the other thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1999536