Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

My HP LaserJet 2100M - which previously worked reliably on ubuntu 10.10 - and windows in dual boot - is now not even seen by ubuntu 12.04.1 (installed via upgrades).

"no local printers found" in printers.

I also want to add Canon ip2600 as a second printer (not available today for testing). I've added this in case Canon ip2600 is also not found.

https://launchpad.net/~michael-gruz/...ve/canon-trunk

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:michael-gruz/canon-trunk

Printers are attached via USB port

Is there any workaround?

[Edit]

I installed HPLIP
    HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.2)
    Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

and this utility reports .

error: No devices found on bus: usb
    Last edited by dragonfly41; October 12th, 2012 at 10:19 PM.

Beans

This just isn't supposed to be so effing hard. It's a testament to how much I hate Windows that I'm willing to put so much time trying to figure this out. Newbie - I'm not stupid, I'm not impatient and I'm not afraid to try things out but everyone here is speaking another language, it's immensely frustrating. I think it's ironic that something that purports to be Open Source can be so closed to the vast majority of computer users out there. I suppose that's the price we paid for allowing Microsoft and Apple to spoon feed us all these years. Apologies for the rant but it's been 3 weeks dicking around trying to get the most basic levels of functionality - wireless access to the web, print my documents, play my games, watch my movies.

Ubuntu 12.04 - Canon Pixma 4200 - finally got drivers to at least recognize printer and print a test page. Nothing else will print it just hangs in Processing. I've tried most of the proposed fixes, at least the ones I understood, without luck. It appears that I might just have to dump the Canon and go to an HP printer. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I believed it would actually solve the problem but to say I'm a little gun shy would be a massive understatement. Help a brother out, all I want to do is print my documents they way I've always been able to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@ dragonfly

After adding the canon-trunk ppa..
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-ip2600series

Do you have synaptic package manager installed or are you using the software centre ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by alaphonse View Post
    This just isn't supposed to be so effing hard. It's a testament to how much I hate Windows that I'm willing to put so much time trying to figure this out. Newbie - I'm not stupid, I'm not impatient and I'm not afraid to try things out but everyone here is speaking another language, it's immensely frustrating. I think it's ironic that something that purports to be Open Source can be so closed to the vast majority of computer users out there. I suppose that's the price we paid for allowing Microsoft and Apple to spoon feed us all these years. Apologies for the rant but it's been 3 weeks dicking around trying to get the most basic levels of functionality - wireless access to the web, print my documents, play my games, watch my movies.

Ubuntu 12.04 - Canon Pixma 4200 - finally got drivers to at least recognize printer and print a test page. Nothing else will print it just hangs in Processing. I've tried most of the proposed fixes, at least the ones I understood, without luck. It appears that I might just have to dump the Canon and go to an HP printer. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I believed it would actually solve the problem but to say I'm a little gun shy would be a massive understatement. Help a brother out, all I want to do is print my documents they way I've always been able to.
    it isn't supposed to be that hard. but somehow, for some reason, Canon makes it a nightmare -- believe me, I've wasted hours trying to make my old MP530 work, and now it prints about one in five times. it's a cryin shame, because they make good printers.

I will never buy a Canon printer again. HP support is really good, for regular B&W printing I have a Deskjet1300 that has good Linux drivers. For color printing, I saved up to get a Brother MFC-J835DW and while it doesn't do everything I want it to do (print to hard 8x10 stock) it works very well and the Linux support is good -- an added bonus is ink is significantly cheaper than other inkjets.

It can be frustrating to deal with manufacturers like Canon and NVidia in the Ubuntu world, but don't let them sour your experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have had 2 canon printers over some years worked well with ubuntu 10.04 up to 12.04..
    I think the canon drivers are very good, much nicer interface than windows version.
    One of the printers is model mp272.

Printer sharing over network with CUPS works well after you get a handle on the different printer "icons" & their meanings.

The HP driver (on my old HP DJ) works but is as slow as a pig in mud.

I've used nVidia in all my PCs except netbook, never had a problem that wasn't my own making.
    Last edited by BicyclerBoy; November 19th, 2012 at 08:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Similar issue here: my HP OfficeJet suddenly refuses to print. It did for some time after the upgrade to 12.04 but since yesterday evening it's no longer printing.
    So next step was remove printer and set it up again.
    Removal was successful but set up was not
    The printer is seen but if i then select it and click "add" the printer install window disappears after a while with no printer installed.
    "What do you want?"
    "Sex, drugs and rock & roll, but since that's not what you meant, i'll take a cappucino..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

And then reinstalling it via the HPLIP toolbox does the trick, i can print again.
    What is confusing is that the HPLIP fax utility is under the Applications->Office menu, while the HPLIP toolbox is under Applications->System Tools->Preferences (still using Gnome, not a great fan of Unity on my normal workstation)

Beans

Unhappy Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

It doesn't SEEM broken, it IS broken and it has been broken for months now without any fix in sight.

I am printing by shifting over to Windows... and my Ubuntu which has worked well for me for most of the past decade, is almost useless.

What is being done I have no idea, but this problem has to be corrected.

I'll have to move to a different linux release, and SOON, because I can't use a system that can't even print to a damned network printer. Concentrating on UNITY which I have given months to try to get used to, is a mistake IMHO, when an LTS release shows up the BASICS are the things that have to work, and there isn't much that is as basic as this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Same problems here. But unlike zandman doing remove and add with HPLIP or expunging cups and reinatll does not do the trck, still screws up.
    My desktop however has not experieced the same issues, even tough they are both Ubuntu. Desktop conyinued to work after upgrade to 12.04 and after upgrade to 12.10 (don't recommend 12.10 to much stuff broken!!!!) but rpinting still works. So something in upgrade process jacked up the system but what is the isssue. May need to do fresh install of some OS. Have windows several versions need to use them I suppose till then.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

I have a Canon iP4600 and have had problems getting it working under Ubuntu before - see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=ip4600&page=3. I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 today and, after a lot of problems and several hours hard work, my printer is now working. The key actions seem to have been:

1. Download the driver from http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/printers/InkJet/PIXMA_iP_series/PIXMA_iP4600.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:13-738716&page=1&type=download
    2. cd to the download directory and then enter: tar xf iP4600_debian_printer.tar
    3. Install libcupsys2: sudo apt-get install libcupsys2 and ignore the unresolved dependencies. This didn't seem to do anything, but may have been necessary.
    4. Install the basic Canon filter: sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb and ignore the unresolved dependencies. After this step, the printer seemed to be working, but in a strange way.
    5. Install the iP4600 specific filter: sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-ip4600series_3.00-1_i386.deb and ignore the unresolved dependencies.
    6. Delete the printer using the Ubuntu Printer manager (from the menu attached to the button on the top right)
    7. Add the printer using the Ubuntu Printer manager.
    8. Check the printer options carefully and adjust as necessary. Some were set to strange values, including the manual paper feed as the default ! (Accessed by right-clicking the printer icon and selecting properties).

The following commands were also run at various times, but I don't think they were necessary (and hopefully haven't damaged anything ):
    <ul>sudo apt-get -f install
    sudo apt-get install libpopt0
    Some commands were run with the file multiarch in /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d removed (see the release notes for Ubuntu 12.04 which indicate that this may be necessary to make aptitude work properly!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast