Thread: Questions about updating

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Questions about updating

Hi, I noticed 12.04 is now available. I would like to ask some questions regarding upgrades through update manager, and whether there are any issues I should be aware of.

First, I have an encrypted home directory. Will this affect upgrading? I will backup all my files just in case, but I'm asking, will it keep my files encrypted, or will it decrypt them? It'd be nice if I have an unencrypted swap so I don't have to worry about hibernate.

Secondly, I have two users on the computer. Will the users remain the same?

Third, I have multiple interfaces installed. I prefer Gnome 3.2 or 3.4 over Unity. Will I have to reinstall these interfaces?

Fourth, settings. Will my settings be kept?

Finally, programs. Will I keep the programs I have installed? What about external repositories?

Any answers would be appreciated.
    Read my technology blog at: http://penguincampaigner.wordpress.com

Beans

Re: Questions about updating

all ill say is wait a month for little niggles to be ironed out, thenm upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Has anyone ever used update manager to upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu?
    Read my technology blog at: http://penguincampaigner.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by 0011235813 View Post
    First, I have an encrypted home directory. Will this affect upgrading? I will backup all my files just in case, but I'm asking, will it keep my files encrypted, or will it decrypt them? It'd be nice if I have an unencrypted swap so I don't have to worry about hibernate.
    It will stay encrypted, won't change

Secondly, I have two users on the computer. Will the users remain the same?
    Users will remain the same

Third, I have multiple interfaces installed. I prefer Gnome 3.2 or 3.4 over Unity. Will I have to reinstall these interfaces?
    Gnome-shell should stay there. The upgrade process will tell you what packages it intends to remove and you can look the the list before committing to the upgrade to double check.

Fourth, settings. Will my settings be kept?
    Kind of, some preferences my change if they are depreciated etc.... For instance my backgrounds changed, a few other misc settings changed.

Finally, programs. Will I keep the programs I have installed? What about external repositories?
    All external repos will be disabled, all programs will be kept except the ones included in the list of packages that need to be removed as mentioned earlier.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When upgrading, Ubuntu will try to keep your old settings intact.

This has PROS and COS.

The PRO is that you keep your old settings, so there is nothing that you might dislike.

The CONS is that perhaps, the old configuration is not ¨adequate¨ or interferes with the new version of a program. (File, configuration corruption).

How successful your upgrade will be depends on your hardware and the mix of software that you have installed. So the mileage varies.

See:

Ubuntu 10.04 – 12.04 Upgrade – How Well Does it Go?