Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Talking Re: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

Worked fine for me in Lenovo G560 with Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01)

Beans

Re: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

I'm having a fair amount of difficulty even with the above tips. I, too, have [14e4:4727].

I performed the steps including the modprobe that returned no errors, but I get the following symptoms.

The wireless detects the network, but seems to get stuck on the password step.
    The wireless can at times connect, but then the computer won't shut down properly.
    The most frequent behavior is that the computer hangs when trying to shake hands with the router. Again, I can see that the computer can see the wireless network and I know it has the password embedded already. The computer hangs and needs a cold shut-off with the power button.

I also tried going into settings, drivers, and removing the Broadcom wireless driver, and then performing the above-mentioned steps again (reinstall etc.)

This pertains to an Aspire One 722.

On my 1001PXD, no problems at all with 11 or 12 Ubuntu, wireless or otherwise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

Please try:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r wl
    sudo modprobe -r bcma
    sudo modprobe brcmsmac
    How does it work now? If it improves, we'll tweak a couple of files and make it persistent.
    I, too, have [14e4:4727].
    Did you see above where I said:
    Note to searchers: If your pci.id is not 14e4:4358, then this may not work for you. Start a new thread or search for your specific pci.id.
    I guess the gremlin bit your nose!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Someone mentioned 4727, so I thought I'd mention my trouble there.

I did the steps you suggested just above, and immediately it found the network even though I had the ethernet in, so I thought I'd tempt fate (or gremlins) and try for a shutdown, but it has hanged again. Three red dots, two white, no-go.

Now I'm rebooting after a cold power-off. As an experiment, I have the ethernet unplugged. Let's see what it does.

The triangle is blank, it's not searching out the wireless. I click the triangle, and go to edit connections. Under wireless, I see my wireless network named there. I try the function-wireless-on-off button, no change.

Now I delete the wireless network from the AO722. (I'm using the PXD for this post.) Now under system settings and drivers, I see that the Broadcom STA wireless driver is not activated.

sudo modprobe wl = no answer. So there seems to be a driver working, correct?

Now I do these three again:
    sudo modprobe -r wl
    sudo modprobe -r bcma
    sudo modprobe brcmsmac

No evident response. Under settings and network, I see that it considers that there is no wireless network available. The wireless has a hardware address, but it says that wireless is unavailable.

The AO722 is able to shutdown and reboot normally at this time.

Beans
    Distro

As soon as you reboot, the changes I suggested go away. We are trying to find a working driver and suspect a driver conflict, so I don't understand why, after you removed wl here:
    sudo modprobe -r wl
    ...then the first thing you do is load it up again:
    sudo modprobe wl = no answer.
    Please do the following and no more:
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo "blacklist wl" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    echo "blacklist bcma" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    echo brcmsmac >> /etc/modules
    exit
    Detach the ethernet cable and reboot without ethernet. When the computer comes up, run:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep -e wl -e bcma -e brcmsmac
    We hope that all we see is brcmsmac. If you see anything else, report it here.

I suspect this hanging behavior is symptomatic of a bigger problem. Many posters here have missing or conflicting drivers and no hangs; their wireless simply doesn't work.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Thanks for your help! Let's see, I did the steps involving echo, and removed the ethernet cable, rebooted. At the moment there is no apparent connection, and no attempt to find one.

the lsmod command yields five lines of output.

Code:
    brcmsmac  540875  0
    mac80211  436455  1  brcmsmac
    brcmutil  14675  1  brcmsmac
    cfg80211  178679  2  brcmsmac,mac80211
    crc8  12781  1  brcmsmac
    cordic  12487  1  brcmsmac

Beans
    Distro

Excellent so far. Let's see:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -e brcm -e wlan
    iwconfig
    rfkill list all
    Thanks.

Beans

I had shut the computer off. I'll leave it on now, for the rest of our experiments. Sorry.

I just turned it on, without the ethernet cable. The desktop showed a balloon saying, "Wireless Networks Available", and now the computer is hanging. No mouse movement, tab and enter do nothing. Cold shut-off, and I'll reboot with ethernet.

Rebooted, everything normal. Open terminal. I'll go back a few steps.

sudo su
    exit

Then

lsmod | grep -e wl -e bcma -e brcmsmac

gives the identical readout from before. At this juncture, "System settings" "additional drivers" shows that the Broadcom STA wireless driver is not activated. "System settings" "network" shows "Wireless" "disconnected" and a hardware address. Airplane mode is off, Wireless is on. Under the drop-down menu I see the computer has detected two wireless networks that I recognize.

Here is the next readout.

Code:
    dmesg | grep -e brcm -e wlan
    [   13.266731] brcmsmac 0000:07:00.0: bus 7 slot 0 func 0 irq 11
    [   13.266830] brcmsmac 0000:07:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
    [   13.266845] brcmsmac 0000:07:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    [   14.880146] ieee80211 phy0: brcms_ops_config: change monitor mode: false (implement)
    [   14.880216] ieee80211 phy0: brcms_ops_config: change power-save mode: false (implement)
    [   14.881291] ieee80211 phy0: brcms_ops_bss_info_changed: qos enabled: false (implement)
    [   14.881921] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [   14.882963] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=19 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:off

eth0      no wireless extensions.

rfkill list all
    0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
    I'll leave the computer on now. Ethernet is plugged in for this whole experiment. Thank you very much.

Beans
    Distro

sudo su
    exit
    These steps needn't be done more than once. Once it's done, it's done. Those are permanent modifications to a system file.
    "additional drivers" shows that the Broadcom STA wireless driver is not activated.
    I believe we've already established that the STA driver doesn't effectively drive your wireless card.

As I said, I think your freeze is unrelated to wireless. You might look in the system logs for errors or warnings:
    Code:
    sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i error
    sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i warn
    You can Google the message and get some clues as to its origin.

Beans

The grep -i error gives many entries stating

real_update_permament_hw_address(): (eth1): unable to read permanent MAC address (error 0)

Later there are some that state

error adding interface: wpa_supplicant couldn't grab this interface

relating to NetworkManager.

The grep -i warn gives entries from NetworkManager. About 2/3 of these are "failed to allocate link cache". Some say "Trying to remove a non-existant call id." There are a couple from dnsmasq stating "warning: no upstream servers configured"
    Last edited by WVPARN; May 2nd, 2012 at 02:01 AM.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast