Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by stryk9 View Post
    on top of that, attempting to run the command:

sudo modprobe w1

returns an error as well stating "FATAL: Module w1 not found." I'm clueless what to do at this point as I've been able to get it to work on my own prior to coming to this forum but with the same issue of my wifi disappearing right after reboot. Really hope you can help me out. Thank you.
    First, the name of the module is wl with an L, not w1 with a one. Please try:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    Does your wireless spring to life? If so, let's get it to load automatically on boot:
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo wl >> /etc/modules
    exit
    If there are other warnings or errors, post back; I'll be happy to help.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Re: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

LoL! Can't believe I didn't notice the l vs 1 haha... Well, afterall, they do look pretty damn the same! Everything seems fine ! sudo modprobe wl functioned with no errors, and also entered your commands to make it automatically run at startup. Wow, you're amazing! Thank you so much! You're the guru!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stryk9 View Post
    LoL! Can't believe I didn't notice the l vs 1 haha... Well, afterall, they do look pretty damn the same! Everything seems fine ! sudo modprobe wl functioned with no errors, and also entered your commands to make it automatically run at startup. Wow, you're amazing! Thank you so much! You're the guru!
    Glad it's working and thanks for your kind comments.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I am very new to ubuntu and the wireless is not working. I tried the sudo modprobe wl command. But nothing happens after I run it. The terminal just sort of hangs. I have ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS and a very old hp compaq laptop. I am sorry but I have no idea which wireless adapter is in this system.

Next step - blacklisted.

Command: lsmod | grep -e wl -e bcma -e brcmsmac
    Output:
    brcmsmac 540923 0
    mac80211 436493 1 brcmsmac
    brcmutil 14675 1 brcmsmac
    cfg80211 178877 2 brcmsmac, mac80211
    crc8 12781 1 brcmsmac
    cordic 12518 1 brcmsmac

Next step
    dmesg | grep -e brcm -e wlan
    iwconfig

Output
    lo no wireless extensions

Next:
    rfkill list all

Output:
    0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no
    1: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
    Soft blocked: yes
    Hard blocked: no

What should be my next steps?
    Last edited by sausi007; February 24th, 2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added steps

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sausi007 View Post
    I am very new to ubuntu and the wireless is not working.

What should be my next steps?
    Would you please start your own new thread instead of adding on to this moldy oldy? Please add this information from the terminal:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    Thanks.

Beans

modprobe wl says

FATAL: module wl not found

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sureshvv View Post
    modprobe wl says

FATAL: module wl not found
    Would you please start your own new thread instead of adding on to this moldy oldy? Please add this information from the terminal:

Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    In a 160+ post thread going back almost a year, that is my answer.

Beans

Hello

chill555, I have the exact same laptop as the person who created this thread, and I followed your steps, however after doing the reinstall of bcmwl-kernel-source I get the following error:

Code:
    ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-3.5.0-23-generic is not supported
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.5.0-23-generic (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.100.82.38+bdcom/build/make.log for more information.
    and when doing the sudo modprobe wl command I get the following error:

Code:
    FATAL: Module wl not found.
    Any idea what the problem could be? All the information matches that of the topic creator, yet for some reason your solution doesn't work for me

Beans
    Distro

ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-3.5.0-23-generic is not supported
    Please try this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-generic
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-`uname -r`
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source
    sudo modprobe wl
    Those tickmarks are on the left side of my US keyboard on the same key with ~.

Any improvement?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Please try this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-`uname -r`
    After doing that part of the commands you advised, I get this error:

Code:
    Reinstallation of linux-headers-3.5.0-23-generic is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
    Carrying on with the rest, will update my post with how it goes.

edit: It hasn't seemed to work, still the same previous errors, pasted below:

Code:
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.5.0-23-generic (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.100.82.38+bdcom/build/make.log for more information.
    and

Code:
    FATAL: Module wl not found.
    So no improvements
    Last edited by Nerph; May 1st, 2013 at 01:17 AM.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast