Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fav Vector Drawing App? Why?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.06

Re: Fav Vector Drawing App? Why?

Inkscape has thrown tantrums up on me too many times.
    Illustrator is my fav at the moment, but I wouldnt mind seeing corel draw come to linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by buggzero
    Inkscape has thrown tantrums up on me too many times.
    Illustrator is my fav at the moment, but I wouldnt mind seeing corel draw come to linux
    I heard a rumor about Corel Draw being ported to Linux about two years ago and being the Corel fan that I was, I sent an email to Corel's Beta Testing asking to test it if and when it became available. My reply was that there was no such port in the works. Heh.

Inkscape takes some getting used to. I am slowing trying to get into it. I am going to attempt to create a brochure for a large hospital using Inkscape, Gimp, and Scribus as I would use Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign/Quark.

Wish me luck
    out of all the distros in teh world. i find ubuntu.
    registered linux user #386074

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by alphaomega
    I am going to attempt to create a brochure for a large hospital using Inkscape, Gimp, and Scribus as I would use Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign/Quark.

Wish me luck
    Good luck on that! I'll be interested in hearing what worked and what was frustrating.

So, it looks like I'll install both Inkscape and Xara for her, and she'll be able to test out both and see which works best.

Thanks to everyone who's responded to this thread!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Smile Re: Fav Vector Drawing App? Why?

To be honest though, if you can use Inkscape, you can use Xara.
    The interfaces and such are almost exactly the same (the copy and paste shortcuts are different and they have a few different tools, but how the interface works generally is the same).
    In the end, it comes down to which better suits your needs (if you need feathering and neater drop shadows, Xara is better, but it's still classed as unstable and has issues the last time I imported a .png).

Beans

Xara LX

Beans
    Hidden!

Here's my 2 cents, coming from a graphics design/tech student...

Inkscape is great. It's not as powerful as Illustrator, but it's the best option IMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thumbs down Re: Fav Vector Drawing App? Why?

IMHO Inkscape without doubt,inkscape to each day that passes is being better, still a little slow but the best option .
    Xara not yet 100%.
    My Galery Inkscape 99,9% with inkscape.
    http://xterminador.deviantart.com/
    Last edited by Xterminator; July 5th, 2006 at 03:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Definitely Inkscape... I've been using it for a couple years and enjoy it so much that I joined in on development. I use it for my personal art as well as at the firm I work for to produce marketing materials.

As for the why... Inkscape is much less restrictive than any other vector app I've used. I find my workflow to be much smoother and faster in Inkscape than it ever was in Illustrator (that was 10 years of Illustrator too).

For note, we do have a bunch of features that other apps lack, but we have no problem admitting that we do lack some basic ones that others have. Luckily though we're starting work on getting SVG filters in, so there will be more "effects" you can apply in the near future (thanks to Google and the Summer of Code).

Here are examples of my art that were all done in Inkscape (excluding the very last thumbnail in there). http://scislac.deviantart.com/galler...talart/vector/

Beans

Yeah Inkscape is excellent, Sodipodi a VERY close second.. But Im sorely missing a vector app that will save to F11 format (macromedia/adobe Freehand format).
    Any suggestions?
    Angels may soar; But demons dont get sucked into jet engines..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nuvo View Post
    Xara hasn't crashed on me yet.
    If you put Xara and Inkscape side by side, they are pretty similar, but Xara has a shadow tool and feathering.
    Inkscape is much better in terms of transparency and colour handling in my opinion as it works with HEX values relatively easily and alpha transparency is part of the colouring rather than another tool you need to tinker with (HEX values in Inkscape carry two extra characters at the end which control the alpha transparency of the object).
    I would like Inkscape with feathering as it'd make drop shadows much easier to do well, but as it stands, it's still the most competant Linux vector tool, or indeeed the best free vectoring tool I've used (Fireworks MX has some features I miss, but at least I'm not paying over the odds under Linux).
    Inkscape only lacks some more fancy features because of the SVG format and many are easy to mimic.
    Inkscape now supports vector feathering(blur) in 0.45.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast