Thread: Ubuntu stuck at start up

Beans

Cool Ubuntu stuck at start up

Hi Folks
    I can't start Ubuntu. I installed 11.10 (32-bit) a few months ago alongside Win7. I've learnt some of the simple commands in the Terminal, and removed a couple of packages. There's no reason to think that caused a problem, but it 'feels' like it did. After that, I couldn't shut Ubuntu down or log off properly, so I finally turned it off with the power button. Now, at start up, I get the default 11.10 screen and the login box, which I wouldn't normally. When I enter my password, the screen goes blank for a few seconds, and then I'm back at the same default screen with login box. The screen that I get at start up doesn't allow me to choose between 2D/3D/Gnome.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ubuntu stuck at start up

Quote Originally Posted by seeker.k3 View Post
    Hi Folks
    I can't start Ubuntu. I installed 11.10 (32-bit) a few months ago alongside Win7. I've learnt some of the simple commands in the Terminal, and removed a couple of packages. There's no reason to think that caused a problem, but it 'feels' like it did. After that, I couldn't shut Ubuntu down or log off properly, so I finally turned it off with the power button. Now, at start up, I get the default 11.10 screen and the login box, which I wouldn't normally. When I enter my password, the screen goes blank for a few seconds, and then I'm back at the same default screen with login box. The screen that I get at start up doesn't allow me to choose between 2D/3D/Gnome.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
    okey dokey. Seems liek you removed a package to do with unity...

at the login screen hit:

Code:
    ctrl alt F1
    it will bring up a blank screen saying:

Code:
    ComputerName: Login:
    type your username, hit enter, then your password, hit enter

now your in! then do:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    then

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
    then

Code:
    sudo apt-get install unity
    and that should re-install unity for you.. then it SHOULD work..
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans

Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately, it has worked for me. I got up to the bit about the blank screen. That's not to suggest it wouldn't work, but blank screens are a feature of my computer. I can't see the boot menu either, but I can still blindly use my arrow keys, and it works fine. (I've never actually seen the boot menu, but I use it all the time.)

Is there any way I can execute your instructions from a Ubuntu CD? Is there someway I can add the path?

Thank you once again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think you might have miss understood.

When you get to the login screen don't login just ctrl alt F1 and follow the instructions.

Beans

When I get to the login screen, I can't go further. At that point, if I hit ctrl + alt + F1, the screen goes blank. The end.

Thanks for your comments.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by seeker.k3 View Post
    When I get to the login screen, I can't go further. At that point, if I hit ctrl + alt + F1, the screen goes blank. The end.

Thanks for your comments.
    no prompt on the top left?

try just typing your username and password as if there was a prompt. Then hit enter a few times...

so if the screen is off the top it should come down into view...

aside from tht, i have no ideas...
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans

Try pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 through F6 and see if any of those work.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Ubuntu stuck at start up

Wait, wait, wait, if it shows the login screen but does not work if you press CTRL-ALT-F1,then you have got a broken Ubuntu!
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu stuck at start up

Thanks for all your comments and helpful advice.
    Ctl Alt F1 (or F2, F3....) just sends me to a blank screen. It's probably working, but I often can't see things like that on this computer. It's hard to image that Ubuntu broke so easily. I really just think it's something minor; something with Unity. I wouldn't mind trying a different install anyway, so I won't waste anymore time on this. I'm glad to have learnt the ctl alt F1 sequence, and I'll practice it so that I'm ready next time.
    Thank you.