Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.04 - poor sound quality

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 12.04 - poor sound quality

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeland View Post
    I'll be glad when pulseaudio gets displaced by something better as the default.
    Lubuntu might be worth trying if you don't like Pulseaudio.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My apologies for going off subject...

I've stayed with Ubuntu but I've toyed with xfce and lxde. Gnome3 is reason to visit the others again so I did.
    On this partition I started with lubuntu but put gnome on and can select which DE I use.
    But...
    ps -el | grep pulse
    in lubuntu shows pulseaudio is still up and running. Maybe it's pollution from the gnome option. Would virgin lubuntu not have pulse?
    I haven't ruled out lxde and xfce I just haven't spent the time to learn how to customize which icons on the panels and what the desktop shows.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've penciled lubuntu in as a this winter project.
    I'm posting this while in Lubuntu.
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - AMD Phenom II x3 720 - 8 GB RAM - 2009 - My first PC from parts!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The command
    Code:
    ps -el | grep pulse
    does not return anything on my computer (clean install of Lubuntu 12.04).
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

If I may - I tried the suggestions, and they didn't seem to work. I had this problem initially, after upgrading to 12.04, then suddenly, it started working again. Then I loaded a 3D shooter - Sauerbraten to try out - ended up deleting it, and the sound quality was bad again.

I tried .wav and .mp3 - both very bad. Then I played an mp4 video - sound was fine, then I tried a wav - great, mp3 as well.

Sounds wierd, but it seems like playing an mp4 kicked it in the pants and got it working again.

Apologies for the not so technical description of events.

Best of Luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Alan.Brown View Post

I had always run VLC with the audio volume set at 200% and controlled it through the system. I reduced the VLC volume setting to 100% and got a perfect result.
    This general solution worked for me also. At first I (somewhat stupidly) couldn't understand why vlc (actually cvlc run via EMACS!) was fine on my netbook and distorted on my desktop. It is, of course, quite obviously dependent on the specific sound card. 100% is fine on my netbook but I had to go down to about 90% on my desktop. So there is some fine tuning required, but it's definitely the answer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12