Thread: Blu-ray increasingly easy to watch - but what about bd+?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Blu-ray increasingly easy to watch - but what about bd+?

I just installed precise and decided to see how easy it would be to playback a blu-ray disc. I was actually surprised by just how easy it was. All I had to do was

1) install VLC
    2) download the KEYDB.cfg file from http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/
    3) place the KEYDB.cfg file in ~/.config/aacs/
    4) load the blu-ray in vlc, making sure to chech the no menue checkbox as VLC will most likely choke on menues
    5) enjoy your blu-ray (unless it is protected by bd+).

This worked great on my computer. The only downside is that this only works with discs that only use aacs encryption. Any disc with BD+ will choke, and here comes my question. Is there anyway of watching a BD+ encrypted disc using VLC without having to rip the movie first? Is there a libbdplus library being worked on?

For those watching blu-rays in vlc, bear in mind that you need to update the KEYDB.cfg file on a regular basis for it to be compatible with your newest discs. The current KEYDB.cfg file is only about a week old, so the site seems to be up to date. I tested it on two of my discs (2001 and total recall) and both worked well.
    Last edited by ubuntukid; April 28th, 2012 at 06:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Blu-ray increasingly easy to watch - but what about bd+?

Well I seem to have found the answer to my question already. I thought I'd post it for others to see. On the VLC forum there is a post which basically says that the bd+ encryption problem is currently not solvable. I guess I'll just have to enjoy my bd+-free movies for the time beeing.

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=100453

Beans

Thanks for the notification that there was a new KEYDB.cfg file available, an important warning is that is still a somewhat grey legal area (although I have no issue with being able to play the bluray titles I have purchased on my Linux computer!). You be interested to know that makemkv can access many bd+ blurays and has an option to stream the movie for either vlc or MPlayer to pick up. Also an option to dump the movie to HDD if you wish...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Hi,
    i use Mythbuntu 12.04 and the way you describe for bluray dosnt work.
    The folder aacs dosnt exist on my system. so i created it. but im not sure the file ist loaded.
    VLC was already installed in version 2.0.1

The Errormessage in VLC is:
    Blu-Ray Fehler:
    Path doesn't appear to be a bluray
    Ihre Eingabe konnte nicht geöffnet werden:
    VLC kann die MRL "bluray:///dev/dvd #5" nicht öffnen. Sehen Sie für Details im Fehlerprotokoll nach.

My translation to English:
    Blu-Ray Error:
    Path doesn't appear to be a bluray
    Your input could not be opened:
    VLC could not open MRL "bluray:///dev/dvd #5". For Details see Errorlog.

Do you have any hint for me?
    Thank you