Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No startup sound in Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

No startup sound in Ubuntu 12.04

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 yesterday on two different systems (32 & 64 bit) but none of them have startup (login) sound!!. Of course its beta 2 version didn't have startup sound neither. is it a bug or what is the problem?

I solved the problem by adding this startup item to the startup applications and now it works. I hope it can be useful for those who have the same problem.

Name: GNOME Login Sound
    Command: /usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"
    Comment: Plays a sound whenever you log in

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: No startup sound in Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by mgt2000 View Post
    I installed Ubuntu 12.04 yesterday on two different systems (32 & 64 bit) but none of them have startup (login) sound!!. Of course its beta 2 version didn't have startup sound neither. is it a bug or what is the problem?

I solved the problem by adding this startup item to the startup applications and now it works. I hope it can be useful for those who have the same problem.

Command: /usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"
    I have the same problem on 12.04 x64, dunno what it is, but I will try your solution. Thx
    Sony Vaio VPCEB1S1E/BJ <--> Core i5-430M 2.533 MHz <--> Chipset Intel HM55 <--> ATI Radeon HD 5650 1GB Dedicated (Madison) <--> 8 GB RAM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mgt2000 View Post

Yep. I too had the same problem. There was no startup sound and when i checked the startup applications, there was no entry regarding Login Sounds. Will try your fix though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It does work indeed like a charm, my favorite sound is back Thanks man!!!
    Sony Vaio VPCEB1S1E/BJ <--> Core i5-430M 2.533 MHz <--> Chipset Intel HM55 <--> ATI Radeon HD 5650 1GB Dedicated (Madison) <--> 8 GB RAM

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you --- worked for me also

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madnag4u View Post
    Yep. I too had the same problem. There was no startup sound and when i checked the startup applications, there was no entry regarding Login Sounds. Will try your fix though.
    You can use this command to show up all startup application again:

sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes it worked for me too...and the 'drum roll' is back also! Havin' a ball with Precise...it is brilliant! And well named
    Toshiba Satellite L300
    'Keeping on trying is not so trying after all'

Beans

Looks like the login sound was removed by default:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/u...ed-by-default/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

THX kadrilica, nice nice to know, thought it was was mistake made!

Beans

Ha ha ha, I was wondering about that too. Apparently it's supposed to be faster, eh? I haven't really noticed a difference, tbh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast