Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    2. Add the following line at the end of blacklist.conf document:

Code:
    blacklist b43
    Save the document and close it.

3. Remove needless Broadcom drivers by the following two terminal commands:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source bcmwl-kernel-source
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
    4. Restart the computer

5. Install the appropriate drivers for the 12.04 system by typing

Code:
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
    6. Remove this line at the end of sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Code:
    blacklist b43
    Save the document and close it

7. Restart the computer

8. Open the following settings by typing

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    9. Add the following short line at the end of the document:

Code:
    b43

Let us know if these steps were useful.
    This worked perfectly! I recently upgraded to 12.04 and my wireless stopped working. I have the Broadcom 4318 card. Thanks for such clear steps. I had tried many other solutions from the forum, but only this one worked. Thanks again. Cheers!

Beans

Re: Installation of 12.04 stopped by missing Broadcom driver

Great tuto. I got mad about this issue with an old Toshiba Satellite Pro 6110 and Lubuntu 12.04. Now it's all running fine.
    Thnx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello. This is my first post at ubuntuforums. I posted in another ubuntu forum before but this one seems much better organized and populated. I cam to this thread from a referral by http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1974496, which was created because a 12.04 user got an error when issuing
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    . I get the same error on my 12.04 Acer netbook with broadcom WiFi. I followed the instructions on this thread and now I am unable to connect to WiFi. The WiFi antenna/signal icon on the upper dock now shows 'empty', and issuing
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    returns the same error as before.

My question is, should I try to reverse the process outlined in this thread in order to reverse its effects? Or is there something else I need to do to get my WiFi working again? I would like my WiFi card to identify correctly but that is secondary to it actually functioning to connect to my network.

Also, since the instructions here didn't work for me, is there another technique for getting my broadcom card to be 'recognied' (I've only been using Linux for about a year or so so my terminology, and just regular knowledge, is still coming).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thread moved to Networking and Wireless.

@KittyCatHerder. Welcome to the forums

I would start a new thread in the Networking and Wireless subforum stating your problem and referencing this thread (put a link to this thread in your new thread)

This thread has been marked as solved and was started in April 2012, so it may not be looked at by people who could help you.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Thread moved to Networking and Wireless.

@KittyCatHerder. Welcome to the forums

I would start a new thread in the Networking and Wireless subforum stating your problem and referencing this thread (put a link to this thread in your new thread)

This thread has been marked as solved and was started in April 2012, so it may not be looked at by people who could help you.
    Thanks, matt_symes. I will do that. I thought I should post here since I've read a few threads which other members don't seem to appreciate due to the issue cited having already been addressed. I will go now and post a new thread. I miss Ubuntu! Using Windows sort of feels like walking through a history museum after being on Ubuntu.

Beans

When I try to install firmware-b43-installer, I get:

firmware-b43-installer: Depends b43-fwcutter (>= 1:015-9) but it is not going to be installed

How do I get around this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by sureshvv View Post
    When I try to install firmware-b43-installer, I get:

firmware-b43-installer: Depends b43-fwcutter (>= 1:015-9) but it is not going to be installed

How do I get around this?
    On another thread, you are having trouble installing the STA driver. They are not interchangeable and not for the same devices. Please start your own new thread and include:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Red face Re: Installation of 12.04 stopped by missing Broadcom driver

Quote Originally Posted by gefalu2008 View Post
    If a missing Broadcom driver prevents you from launching your
    computer, you can proceed as follows:

1. Type or copy the following command into the terminal:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    2. Add the following line at the end of blacklist.conf document:

Code:
    blacklist b43

3. Remove needless Broadcom drivers by the following two terminal commands:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source bcmwl-kernel-source
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
    4. Restart the computer

5. Install the appropriate drivers for the 12.04 system by typing

Code:
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
    6. Remove this line at the end of sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Code:
    blacklist b43
    Save the document and close it

7. Restart the computer

8. Open the following settings by typing

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    9. Add the following short line at the end of the document:

Code:
    b43

Let us know if these steps were useful.
    Excellent, well-detailed procedure. It would be nice if everyone posted clear explanations like this one.
    While my computer (Dell Latitude D610) was working fine, I couldn't get the wireless to run. After trying several other suggestions found in searches, this one worked like and charm and got the wifi up and running.
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by ottabaub; May 28th, 2013 at 02:40 AM.

Beans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9PJYIfEpSw&hd=1#t=24
    This is for those who like a visual hands on demo of a quick driver load without the ndis wrapper Bovine Sovereinity.
    This worked like a champ on a Dell latitude d630 with a broadcom 3905 mini card using a bcm4311 chip. Ubuntu 12.04

This video explains a real easy install and a manual startup probe command.

Keep in mind most people are blacklisting the b43, Mine would NOT run without it. As a matter fact I ran the exclusive b43 drivers explained in the video.
    This methoud from what I can see does not use a blacklist file.

Downside; This does not automatically start when booting up you have to involk a sudo command to fire up your wifi card, however a quick search on google brought me to a site that shows you how to edit one line in your rc.local file in the etc folder witch will execute the probe command on start up. This is by far the neatest, quickest and easy way to fire up a peace of combative hardware. The b43.zip file for ubuntu [google it] did the trick placed extracted files in the \lib\firmware folder. then run the command sudo modprobe -v b43

My internal broadcom wifi fired up. Now if it works [this is important to test first in a terminal]. Add the line " modprobe -v b43 " in the etc\rc.local file use gedit in sudo mode to do this. [no quotes]. make sure the line exit 0 is the last line in your rc.local file or you will through a handfull of evil flying monkeys into your OS deeming it quite useless after that.
    DO NOT use the expression " sudo " in a rc.local file.

One last thing, I am an amature, a puts, a tinkerer and a net technician, so blowing my stuff up is a fun experience, for some of you it's a disaster, so keep in mind, I tried other things before this and failed. For instance I apt-get installed a wrapper driver that did not work, however did this combination of events lead to my sucess? We don't know, I am under the impression the previous attempts did not do squat, and another note, this is basically a "Firmware" driver similar to a "Chipset" driver in Windoze, moreso on a hardware level.
    Maybe the combination of this and the previous apt-get installs worked together. It's a damn shame I did not do a clean wipe and remove before trying this DO THIS AT YOUR RISK.
    It's not idiot proof and I am just the idiot to prove it.
    Last edited by Ultra Cronic; March 15th, 2014 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Not the best genes I have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12