Thread: Value of adding XBMC to MythTV?

Beans

Value of adding XBMC to MythTV?

I'm sure this is out there somewhere, but the recent XBMC integration post had me wondering what XBMC might do better (or beyond) what MythTV does. I started using it about a year ago and didn't find any added value.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Value of adding XBMC to MythTV?

I have both installed on my computer. I use xbmc for things like the free cable tv plugin and some other things I find easier to use in xbmc. I use to use Boxee but since they moved away from PC so I switched to xbmc and it works very well.

Beans

Lots of good plugins, good metadata handling, good if you don't want to have to scan for videos before you play something you recently downloaded, good youtube plugin.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by azmyth View Post
    I have both installed on my computer. I use xbmc for things like the free cable tv plugin and some other things I find easier to use in xbmc. I use to use Boxee but since they moved away from PC so I switched to xbmc and it works very well.
    That's why I use it, as well.

Beans

Also I find the unofficial XBMC Hulu addon considerably superior to the annoying Huludesktop, which I've since removed from all my mythtv frontends. I also like the Freecable addon, and use several of the other video and music addons.

In fact, I've found that I like XBMC sufficiently that nowadays I use Mythtv proper only as a DVR and Live TV app. Everything else gets funneled through XBMC.

Beans

klc555

The Mythbox plugin for the XBMC is a very nice frontend for mythtv. But I am not sure if it supports 0.25 as of now. I use XBMC+Mythbox as my frontend and 0.24+fixes as my backend. I never run mythfrontend on my HTPC.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mwahal View Post
    klc555

The Mythbox plugin for the XBMC is a very nice frontend for mythtv. But I am not sure if it supports 0.25 as of now. I use XBMC+Mythbox as my frontend and 0.24+fixes as my backend. I never run mythfrontend on my HTPC.
    Mythtv 0.25 support was not ready when XBMC 11.0 came out. Some increasing degree of 0.25 support in XBMC is supposedly available via fixes which have appeared since 11.0 (I certainly haven't tried them yet). But the currentmost state of affairs will have to be gotten from the XBMC forums.

As to my own personal whims, I find the mythbox addon a bit too resource-hungry for everyday use on most of my machines. I'm also a dinosaur who dislikes horizontal menu structures (which is why I have never been able to stand Mythtv's default Terra theme, for example) Minor quibbles to be sure, but I still use mythfrontend as my preferred shell with XBMC as a menu option to handle everything that is not strictly TV recording and playback, rather than just using XBMC for everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by klc5555 View Post
    Mythtv 0.25 support was not ready when XBMC 11.0 came out. Some increasing degree of 0.25 support in XBMC is supposedly available via fixes which have appeared since 11.0 (I certainly haven't tried them yet). But the currentmost state of affairs will have to be gotten from the XBMC forums.

As to my own personal whims, I find the mythbox addon a bit too resource-hungry for everyday use on most of my machines. I'm also a dinosaur who dislikes horizontal menu structures (which is why I have never been able to stand Mythtv's default Terra theme, for example) Minor quibbles to be sure, but I still use mythfrontend as my preferred shell with XBMC as a menu option to handle everything that is not strictly TV recording and playback, rather than just using XBMC for everything.
    Providing the XBMC developers are doing it right, there shouldn't be any more "we haven't updated this for the current version of MythTV" after they fix it for 0.25.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?