Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to 12.04 kills gnome-shell.

Beans

Upgrade to 12.04 kills gnome-shell.

So Unity kills my PC. Never knew why, but it didn't really bother me, because I didn't like the interface. So I opted for gnome-shell.

And I upgraded to 12.04 today, and now gnome shell no longer works.
    It logged me into the environment, but I was unable to type the password for the keyring, and the environment itself didn't seem to load. I had basic desktop access, and whatnot, but not enough to do anything with. I had to ctr+alt+f2 and killall -u me gnome-session to get it to log out, so I could log in via Unity to post this.

Anybody know what's going on? Yes, I uninstalled gnome-shell and reinstalled, still nothing.

I also ran sudo apt-get install -f
    (and sudo apt-get -f install just to make sure I remember right)
    and it didn't come up with anything, so I know they upgrade was good.

What do I need to get my gnome 3 back?

Beans

Re: Upgrade to 12.04 kills gnome-shell.

Hi, Yayramen.

I'm a pure Gnome-Shell user too. Removed Unity completely. I asked this forum a few days ago if anyone knew of any problems with upgrading to 12.04 from 11.10 with GNOME Shell only. The answer I got was reassuring at the time: No major problems, just some extensions that might not work.

I'll let you know what happens once I finish the upgrade, which is still in progress here.

Beans

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, thanks to low download speeds, and me torrenting and playing minecraft and all sorts of goofing around, my upgrade took me the better part of the day. But I too, was assured by threads all over that it would be a smooth transition. Unfortunately, it didn't go that way. I have gotten out of unity 2D, and am now in gnome classic, which is close, I suppose.

Another thing I should mention is the custom theme I had (nolo? the ics port for gnome) was compromised in the later parts of the install, with broken icons, and was the same during the upgrade, I had to switch to a different theme whilst booted into unity in order to get to the default ambiance theme.

I was hoping this would have been a smooth transotion >:

Beans

Here's my report on how the installation went here, and it's mixed:

1st, Good news: The install did *not* put Unity on my system. Yay! I didn't have it, had removed it, and I was wondering if it would suddenly become default. It didn't.

I rebooted right back into Gnome-Shell, the default, and all applications and documents are intact.

Now, the bad news: NO extensions work. That means all themes are broken too, until I update all my extensions.

Yayramen:

Is it possible that GNOME Shell is actually on your system, but that Unity has taken the default?

Did you check using terminal? If not, run this command:

Code:
    gnome-shell --version
    Output should read:

Code:
    :~$ gnome-shell --version
    GNOME Shell 3.4.1

Beans

Yayramen,

Your problem may be with conflicting extensions. Just happened to me, too. See this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966777

Reboot into Unity, then delete any extensions you may have in the two directories where they're stored:

(as root) /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions
    ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions

You don't need any terminal commands to do this. All extensions are self-contained javascripts.

Then reinstall what's available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try a fresh install of ubuntu 12.04.
    It will save you a lot of troubles, with outdated files
    an the system.
    Consider the short time time of making a fresh install compared to the woes
    of "flogging a dead horse" with outdated libraries!!!!

jackson from /Austria

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek1 View Post
    Here's my report on how the installation went here, and it's mixed:

1st, Good news: The install did *not* put Unity on my system. Yay! I didn't have it, had removed it, and I was wondering if it would suddenly become default. It didn't.

I rebooted right back into Gnome-Shell, the default, and all applications and documents are intact.

Now, the bad news: NO extensions work. That means all themes are broken too, until I update all my extensions.

Yayramen:

Is it possible that GNOME Shell is actually on your system, but that Unity has taken the default?

Did you check using terminal? If not, run this command:

Code:
    gnome-shell --version
    Output should read:

Code:
    :~$ gnome-shell --version
    GNOME Shell 3.4.1
    I know I've had Gnome Shell, it let me boot into it, and then I know I had it from the reinstall, so inputting this did spit out 3.4.1

Yayramen,

Your problem may be with conflicting extensions. Just happened to me, too. See this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966777

Reboot into Unity, then delete any extensions you may have in the two directories where they're stored:

(as root) /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions
    ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions

You don't need any terminal commands to do this. All extensions are self-contained javascripts.

Then reinstall what's available.
    Just deleted my extensions, and am about to relog right now, let's hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    Try a fresh install of ubuntu 12.04.
    It will save you a lot of troubles, with outdated files
    an the system.
    Consider the short time time of making a fresh install compared to the woes
    of "flogging a dead horse" with outdated libraries!!!!

jackson from /Austria
    I would try a fresh install, but I have a lot of stuff that isn't backed up. Granted the important stuff is on github or dropbox or my webservers, I just don't want to lose my filestructure, so the upgrade was the way to go.

UPDATE: After deleting my extensions, still the same problem. The shell itself doesn't seem to load [top bar, window border, etc], and I can't type in the password to unlock my keyring.
    Last edited by yayramen; April 27th, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

Beans

UPDATE: After deleting my extensions, still the same problem. The shell itself doesn't seem to load [top bar, window border, etc], and I can't type in the password to unlock my keyring.
    Are you seeing any alerts such as "Ubuntu 12.04 has experienced an internal error?"

When you say "keyring," do you mean to login to the system at the login screen?

A fresh install might be the best route for you. That's what I'd do if I still couldn't resolve the problem.

What are you login options on the login screen?

Mine have "GNOME Panel", "GNOME", "GNOME Classic," GNOME Classic No effects, and "User Defined Session."

You might need to create a login profile that leads to GNOME.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Since you're at the point of considering a fresh install try another DE, couldn't hurt.

http://complete-concrete-concise.com...e-lxde-desktop

Hopefully that will give you a functioning desktop so you can continue to work on rectifying your gnome-shell issues.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

Are you seeing any alerts such as "Ubuntu 12.04 has experienced an internal error?"

When you say "keyring," do you mean to login to the system at the login screen?

A fresh install might be the best route for you. That's what I'd do if I still couldn't resolve the problem.

What are you login options on the login screen?

Mine have "GNOME Panel", "GNOME", "GNOME Classic," GNOME Classic No effects, and "User Defined Session."

You might need to create a login profile that leads to GNOME.
    When I say 'keyring' I mean the prompt that comes up if you don't have it set to unlock the default gnome keyring automatically. "Please enter password to unlock keyring" or something.

And my options are
    GNOME
    GNOME Classic
    GNOME Classic (No Effects) < currently using
    Ubuntu
    Ubuntu 2D
    User Defined Session

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast