Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrade to 12.04 kills gnome-shell.

Beans

Re: Upgrade to 12.04 kills gnome-shell.

I just upgraded to 12.04 and gnome shell extensions have all stopped working. I have removed all the installed ones from both directories and logged in again, but when I go to extensions.gnome.org there are no extensions listed at all? so nothing to install.

<rant>
    I really think that Ubuntu is losing it. Every release is worse than the previous one. It used to be that I looked forward to updates to see what great new things were available. Now it is something I loath as it always breaks vital things. In this case I lost wifi and my desktop on a very common laptop - how can they seriously call this a LTS version?
    </rant>

Beans

Some further information! If I create a new user account on my system, then gnome extensions work fine! So it is something in my account??
    Any ideas where to look for gnome-shell settings that might be old?

Beans

I had never even though of making a new account. But, no it's odd. the two places listed are the only places I had ever found. I ended up just staying with 11.10 as it was MUCH MUCH snappier. Sorry I can't be of any more help, but I never did figure it out D:

Beans

not just an upgrade to 12.04 kills gnome-shell ... but even otherwise a clean install that i did ... is facing gnome failures ... my failure is more towards the gnome-shell-extensions ... i have been using ubuntu for the last 4-5 years ... and i hadn't explored much on desktop applications (unity, gnome, etc) ... now that i upgraded to 12.04 thru a clean install ... i was just aw-struck at unity being integrated into 12.04 ... i really liked the window key(super L) key and the 'left+alt' function of unity ... and somehow i got myself to install gnome3 on my 12.04 ... and i was aw-struck twice on a single day ... it was better and far superior than unity ... i was just sucked into this new world of Gnome 3 and the way the shell-extensions brought more value to the whole experience ...

but alas my experience was short lived ... after a couple of routine OS updates the shell-extensions tanked and i am left with the Gnome 3 Default extensions ... with no way to install or revive the so many great extensions i had set up ...

ITS SUCH A LET DOWN !!! ... a routine upgrade too can mess the whole Gnome 3 experience ...

If anybody is interested in helping ... just drop in a word ... and i'll provide readings out of my system to help diagnose the issue i faced ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi ..

Thanks for this valuable info. Now, I want to upgrade to 12.04 from 10.04. Any one could tell me please, how can I keep my gnome desktop settings such as, panels, icons, wallpaper, gconf settings etc.. ??
    I did upgrade 12.04 on another machine and after installing gnome-shell and gnome-session-fallback, it took me several hours to arrange my desktop the same it was from scratch.
    Also, I would like to use my 10.04 gdm screen too if possible. Is there a folder(s) that stores my old desktop settings so I can back it up and overwrite the new 12.04 one with it ??

Thanks so much

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123