Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

there's a setting for icon size in nautilus don't know if it would help

Beans

@kansasnoob

Thanks for the great set of instructions. I have used it to de-unity-ize 3 systems so far, and will be working on number four this afternoon.

You might want to add to your instructions:
    For folks that want to run Skype and other applications that want to have an icon in the "system tray" (in older ubuntu systems, that would be over near the logout, network, speaker, date/time, etc), make sure you add the "Notification Area" to your panel. I found all sorts of instructions for this out there, and this is the only one that worked.

Beans

1 Save this as a script.sh file.
    2 Then change the values as you wish.
    3 Run it <<
    Code:
    #Change To True or False as you like!
    gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier auto-launch true
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface menus-have-icons true
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface buttons-have-icons true
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop computer-icon-visible true
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop home-icon-visible true
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop network-icon-visible true
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop trash-icon-visible true
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop volumes-visible true
    #KeyBoard Shortcuts
    gconftool -s /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/switch_windows --type string '<Alt>Tab'
    gconftool -s /apps/metacity/window_keybindings/minimize --type string '<Alt>F9'
    gconftool -s /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/show_desktop --type string '<Ctrl><Alt>D'
    gconftool -s /apps/metacity/window_keybindings/close --type string '<Alt>F4'
    gconftool -s /apps/metacity/window_keybindings/activate_window_menu --type string '<Alt>space'
    gconftool -s /apps/metacity/window_keybindings/begin_move --type string '<Alt>F7'
    gconftool -s /apps/metacity/window_keybindings/begin_resize --type string '<Alt>F8'
    gconftool -s /apps/metacity/window_keybindings/maximize --type string '<Alt>F11'
    gconftool -s /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/unmaximize --type string '<Alt>F5'
    gconftool -s /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_main_menu --type string '<Alt>F1'
    gconftool -s /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog --type string '<Alt>F2'

Beans

[Solved] Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Just after sending my message, I found the solution in an earlier post.

This is a great tutorial and with only a little work my 12.04 works just about like my old gnome desktops.
    Last edited by gladgrind; October 4th, 2012 at 07:26 PM.

Beans

hi there,

i tried to search through this thread to find out about how to set the default gdm session to "Gnome session (No Effects)" but couldn't find it anywhere..?

does anyody have an idea? i remember it was possible in "Login Screen Settings" but i can't find it anywhere in 12.04..

-tm-

Beans

nice .....trit...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tuorzo View Post
    hi there,

i tried to search through this thread to find out about how to set the default gdm session to "Gnome session (No Effects)" but couldn't find it anywhere..?

does anyody have an idea? i remember it was possible in "Login Screen Settings" but i can't find it anywhere in 12.04..

-tm-
    GDM is not used by 12.04; it's lightdm instead. I'm not sure about the difference it makes, but the default session is shown in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

However, whatever you logged into last time is what in effect becomes the default, even if that lightdm.conf file is unchanged, as the previous session type will remain until you change it.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    GDM is not used by 12.04; it's lightdm instead. I'm not sure about the difference it makes, but the default session is shown in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

However, whatever you logged into last time is what in effect becomes the default, even if that lightdm.conf file is unchanged, as the previous session type will remain until you change it.
    Thanks ajgreeny. I hadn't had time to reply because I've been involved in Quantal final iso/upgrade testing

Beans

I've finally started piddling with Gnome classic (no effects) in Ubuntu Quantal and thought this would be as good a place as any to post about any differences I find.

So far I'm only aware of two window manager setting changes that effect steps #6 and #7. I'm not sure I have it completely figured out but ATM it seems like you still need to follow the steps for Precise and in addition:

Right side window buttons:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout :minimize,maximize,close
    Left side window buttons:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout close,minimize,maximize:
    Note: for some odd reason it may be necessary to change that twice to obtain the desired outcome

Window manager theme:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme Shiki-Colors-Metacity
    And of course some of the PPA's are not yet available for Quantal

A bit off topic but I'm actually finding that with Quantal it's much easier to begin with Ubuntu GNOME Remix which I posted briefly about here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2073181

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast