Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Beans

Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

So the update notification will show up in the panel? (With your command in Step 5 run, of course.)
    Yes.

I'm assuming then it will be minimized.
    Not sure what you mean, it just shows up in the panel, in either 'indicator-applet' or 'indicator-applet-complete'. I posted a comparison of those applets here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=12

Does it flash or blink or does it show the "!" character?
    No. It's just an applet that's orange for non-critical updates and red for security updates.

(I can't quite make it out in your screenshot).
    Is this better:

updates.png

more_updates.png

Beans

Apparently, having both a top and bottom panel crashes the darn thing?
    I think that's fixed (or very close to it):

gnome-panel (1:3.4.1-0ubuntu1.1) precise-proposed; urgency=low

* debian/patches/15_avoid_applet_loading_failures.patch:
    - Use on_bus_acquired instead of on_name_acquired.
    This helps prevent race conditions at session starts which can lead
    to panel applets failing to load. (lp: #727660)

-- Sebastien Bacher <seb128@ubuntu.com> Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:05:46 +0200
    I've been trying hard to follow up on bugs, not that I fix 'em, but I hound the devs until they do

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@ kansasnoob,

I don't want to get these two threads crossed or otherwise drift off-topic here, IOW I want to stay on topic here with DE stuff, as you requested in your OP, so my response to your post #104 here is in my http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=15 post

So let me make some response to what you said about DE here (I'll be starting off with the "second" question in my previous post.)

My suspicion is, that since Ubuntu hasn't played well with my graphics and Metacity is easy on my graphics, your "Classic (No effects) Tweaks will be better than Unity. Indeed, if Unity uses Compiz, I won't be surprised if it gives me problems right out of the gate (I'm going to play around with Unity at first.)

Actually, I guess that's all . . . everything else I think I absorbed. Thanks.
    Last edited by BobJam; July 21st, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
    BJ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BobJam View Post
    @ kansasnoob,

I don't want to get these two threads crossed or otherwise drift off-topic here, IOW I want to stay on topic here with DE stuff, as you requested in your OP, so my response to your post #104 here is in my http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=15 post

So let me make some response to what you said about DE here (I'll be starting off with the "second" question in my previous post.)

My suspicion is, that since Ubuntu hasn't played well with my graphics and Metacity is easy on my graphics, your "Classic (No effects) Tweaks will be better than Unity. Indeed, if Unity uses Compiz, I won't be surprised if it gives me problems right out of the gate (I'm going to play around with Unity at first.)

Actually, I guess that's all . . . everything else I think I absorbed. Thanks.
    Well clearly my recommendation is different than Paqman's.

Which do you prefer?

I'm not going to copy everything I said in post #104 to that other thread (I didn't even save the screenshots), but I'll add a link there if you wish.

At some point you have to decipher what info you've gathered and decide what to do. I personally don't recommend sharing a /home partition, but that's just my opinion based on personal experience

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Which do you prefer?
    As I said, having two separate homes seems to suit me better . . . it will allow me to build what I want in 12.04 (there may be some new bells and whistles that are better than what I have in 9.10) and at the same time allow me to flip back and forth to see how I had things in 9.10.

I'm not going to copy everything I said in post #104 to that other thread (I didn't even save the screenshots), but I'll add a link there if you wish.
    No, no, no . . . why would you think you need to do that? No need to repeat 104 . . . I've already done all the back-and-forth legwork. And if anybody in that other thread is curious, I gave a link to 104 in that other thread/post already.

I personally don't recommend sharing a /home partition, but that's just my opinion based on personal experience
    Maybe if these versions were closer together, I'd consider sharing homes. But having two separate homes in this case seems to make more sense. I'm pretty sure that's the way I'm going to go.
    BJ

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I manage 15 Ubuntu 12.04 classic no effects machines between home and our library. One thing is driving me crazy, the panels keep reverting to gray. I have them set to light blue. The way to fix temporarily- I alt+rt cl panel then background which shows light blue opaque solid color. I have to pick another color then select then go and repick the light blue. I want the library machines to all look alike and this issue really bugs me though it is a minor issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    I manage 15 Ubuntu 12.04 classic no effects machines between home and our library. One thing is driving me crazy, the panels keep reverting to gray. I have them set to light blue. The way to fix temporarily- I alt+rt cl panel then background which shows light blue opaque solid color. I have to pick another color then select then go and repick the light blue. I want the library machines to all look alike and this issue really bugs me though it is a minor issue.
    I seem to get along OK as long as I'm using Metacity and one of the Zukitwo themes but if I use Compiz or any of the Adwaita, Clearwaita, or new Clearlooks themes I run into trouble

Beans
    Distro

why would a different theme make the basic settings not work I love clearlooks and hate dark themes but the panels change color no matter what theme I try.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    why would a different theme make the basic settings not work I love clearlooks and hate dark themes but the panels change color no matter what theme I try.
    Have you tested this Clearlooks-Phenix?
    Personally, I love Clearlooks and GNOME 2, so much in fact, that I switched to Scientific Linux in order to keep using those until 2020 or so.
    Live long and prosper.
    And use lotsa Linux, BSD, and Emacs.

Beans
    Distro

Yes I am using clearlooks-Phenix on all the machines but have the above irritating problem with panels reverting to grey constantly

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast