Thread: 1st gen macbook

Beans

Question 1st gen macbook

I have a 1st gen 13' macbook I bought in 2008 here
    The original hard drive had to be replaced after the laptop took a fall. (also it is difficult to put in/take out CDs form the optical drive)
    Currently I am thinking of replacing it with this hard drive here and installing Ubuntu on it. However I do not have the original OSX boot up discs. I was told that I might be able to take it into an apple store and have it done for me for free; however, I was wondering If I would be able to boot Ubuntu without the OSX startup discs.
    My main goals with the laptop is to learn more about Ubuntu and other distros. I am slowly learning Python and how to use the command line. I will also be using this laptop for some school work, mostly research and typing papers.
    I currently have this thread saved that exaplains how to boot Ubuntu on a macbook and configure it.
    I saved this thread as well if I am having trouble booting Ubuntu from a CD.
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My last option would be to start investing in another laptop, although the cost would be an issue for a while.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: 1st gen macbook

Even if the orginal Mac Operating system is not on the mac book Ubuntu should still install-

I would be suspicious as to taking it to an Apple store at least about the 'free' part- -

If so; when you install Ubuntu the Ubuntu Installer should provide the GRUB 2 Bootloader and will boot up Ubuntu first. At start-up your computer should give you the option to choose which operating system you wish to mount.
    Use the arrow keys to do that but be fast about it or Ubuntu will load/boot first.
    Last edited by UltimateCat; February 21st, 2013 at 01:04 AM.
    -Check yourself before you wreck yourself-

Devuan, MX Linux, Debian 12 & Slackware 15

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

My main goals with the laptop is to learn more about Ubuntu and other distros.
    That's great!

Debian is a nice distro that uses the same utilities as Ubuntu.
    Linux Mint is very nice and if you already like Ubuntu you should like Linux Mint.
    Backtrack is a pretty cool distro too-

Fuduntu, Fedora, and Red Hat are nice and pretty much cutting edge but use Yum and Red Had Package Manager-

Arch Linux uses Pacman as it's utility and Slackware has it's own utilities-

Good luck with learning-
    -Check yourself before you wreck yourself-

Devuan, MX Linux, Debian 12 & Slackware 15

Beans

Thanks for the info!

I looked into Debian a little and thought about it, however I figured it would be better to start with Ubuntu since I'm still fairly new to Linux and eventually switch to Debian.