Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installer Freezes Immediately

Beans

Re: Installer Freezes Immediately

It is not working even if I try ubuntu before. Moreover, I am quite sure to set the nomodeset correctly and after I choose Install Ubuntu from the menu. Is there something special to do after ?

I believe that when the problem occurs, the installer checks the disks status and the existing partitions. So, maybe there is a problem with my partition table but I don't know what. I have a partition for Mac OS X, a swap space of the old version of ubuntu (11.10) and a free space formatted in Ext4 where I want to install ubuntu 12.04. I also have a SSD.

I found on the french ubuntu forum people with exactly the same problem : http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=897031

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan0912 View Post
    It is not working even if I try ubuntu before. Moreover, I am quite sure to set the nomodeset correctly and after I choose Install Ubuntu from the menu. Is there something special to do after ?

I believe that when the problem occurs, the installer checks the disks status and the existing partitions. So, maybe there is a problem with my partition table but I don't know what. I have a partition for Mac OS X, a swap space of the old version of ubuntu (11.10) and a free space formatted in Ext4 where I want to install ubuntu 12.04. I also have a SSD.

I found on the french ubuntu forum people with exactly the same problem : http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=897031
    Are you french too ? I have the same problem (with +mac or normal version, freeze when clicking on "continu"...) and I choose french langage. Maybe it is just related to language. Have you tried to make the installation in english ? I'm not at home, but I will try this tomorrow...

Edit : I've just read the french post, it seems more related to partition detection... I was too simple
    Last edited by pounsg; May 1st, 2012 at 09:03 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pounsg View Post
    Are you french too ? I have the same problem (with +mac or normal version, freeze when clicking on "continu"...) and I choose french langage. Maybe it is just related to language. Have you tried to make the installation in english ? I'm not at home, but I will try this tomorrow...

Edit : I've just read the french post, it seems more related to partition detection... I was too simple
    Yes, I am french too. I tried only with English language but I don't think the problem comes from here ...
    Apparently, from the log file (/var/log/syslog), the problem is due to the detection of mac os x partition. Indeed, there is this error message : "macosx-prober: debug: /dev/sda2 is an HFS+ partition".
    I succeed in unfreezing the installer by killing several times the "grub-mount" process. Nevertheless, the grub is not installed correctly at the end so it's not possible to boot on ubuntu from the refit menu.

Why ubuntu 12.04 64 bits hates the hfs+ partition so much ?
    Last edited by Ronan0912; May 1st, 2012 at 02:38 PM.

Beans

Hi there!

So this is how it worked for me in detail (I had to reinstall Ubuntu today):

MBP 17'' Mid 2009 Lion latest on Intel 2 Core Duo, Ubuntu 12.04

1) Place Ubuntu CD
    2) restart Mac OS X
    3) Press Alt (Opt) key
    4) Wait for the Ubuntu CD to load
    5) Choose the CD icon labeled "Window" make sure you pick the CD icon and not the HDD icon. You must choose "Window", the other CD icon choice did not work for me.
    6) When is loading press Fn->F6 at the same time i.e. F6 key. You will probably see a man and a keyboard but even if you don't keep Fn->F6 down and wait
    7) At this point you should see the Ubuntu install options and menu.
    8 ) Press Fn->F6 again and set the nomodeset option.
    9) At this point you can do whatever you want but I choose "Try Ubuntu".
    10) Once Ubuntu is running you can use the icon in the Desktop "Install Ubuntu"
    11) Make sure to choose carefully how much HDD space you use as two dialogs will overlap, there are two dialogs and one ends up on top of the other somehow. By mistake I ended with a 28GB big MBR partition which only requires 1MB very stupid default for installing Ubuntu alongside Mac OS X btw. I had no choice but reinstall Ubuntu and delete the BOOTCAMP partition explicitly otherwise the same issue would happen again of this wasted high amount of GB for the Ubuntu MBR partition.

I could not figure out how to have a smaller swap partition. It gets assigned automatically and since I have 4GB RAM it gets 4GB of SSD disk space and this is not cheap given the SSD space prices ... I'd prefer the swap to be at most 1GB and not 4GB.

That's it. I have done this above at least 3 times and it always works.

HTH,
    Best regards,
    Giovanni

Beans

Question Re: Installer Freezes Immediately

Quote Originally Posted by bravegag View Post
    Hi there!

So this is how it worked for me in detail (I had to reinstall Ubuntu today):

MBP 17'' Mid 2009 Lion latest on Intel 2 Core Duo, Ubuntu 12.04

1) Place Ubuntu CD
    11) Make sure to choose carefully how much HDD space you use as two dialogs will overlap, there are two dialogs and one ends up on top of the other somehow...
    Giovanni, make sure u carefully read this topic.
    IT FREEZES BEFORE YOU ABLE PARTITION HD!!!!!

BTW. Does anyone solve problem with partition on Macbook Pro 5,3? I have same problem, tried Ubuntu 12.10 amd64/amd64+mac, 12.04 x86/amd64... neither works )-:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12