Thread: Installer Freezes Immediately

Hybrid View

Beans

Installer Freezes Immediately

I have been trying to install Ubuntu (11.10, 12.04, 32 and 64-bit) on my Macbook Pro for a while, and every version gives me the same problem. I can boot into the CD or DVD just fine, and even run it live, install drivers, etc, just fine. The problem occurs when I try to install. When I hit continue on the first page (language page), it gives me the loading cursor and never gets past that screen. I haven't been able to find this issue online anywhere. Any help?

Macbook Pro 5,4
    Core 2 Duo
    8 GB RAM
    HDD in HDD bay (with my data)
    SSD in Optical bay (with my OS)
    Burning/Booting from USB optical drive

I'm trying to install onto some free space on my HDD.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Installer Freezes Immediately

Hi,
    I can't help you because I have exactly the same problem when trying to install 64bit 12.04 on a macbook pro 5,2. The installation stop on the "prepare to install" page. No debug information from ubiquity. 11.10, 11.04, 10.10 and 10.04 installation work on the same machine
    I try with the alternate CD and let you know...

Beans

Hi,

It's the same problem for me. Installation freezes when I hit the continue button (64bit 12.04). I have a macbook pro 8.1. I boot from a CD because I can't boot from a USB key (With the old version of ubuntu, it was necessary to boot with a USB key and a CD).

Anyone have an idea ?

Ronan

Beans

alternate cd is not a good option. grub-update silently fails and let you with a grub prompt at reboot. I have chrooted with a live CD, reinstall grub and make a grup-update with no luck. It doesn't boot. It stops on a purple screen. I'm burning a 11.10 CD

Beans

Apparently, it's a problem with the 64 bits release. A colleague said to me that he installed with success the 32 bits version on his macbook pro 6.2 (he had the same problem with the 64 bits version).

I think we will have to wait for the next iso .

Ronan
    Last edited by Ronan0912; April 27th, 2012 at 08:41 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan0912 View Post
    Apparently, it's a problem with the 64 bits release. A colleague said to me that he installed with success the 32 bits version on his macbook pro 6.2 (he had the same problem with the 64 bits version).

I think we will have to wait for the next iso .

Ronan
    I can't even get the 32 bit to work... but I might try a couple more.