Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to disable the update manager in ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How to disable the update manager in ubuntu 12.04

I want to disable it, I find it annoying and useless, Updating via the terminal is so much easier and faster so tell me how i might go about disabling it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How to disable the update manager in ubuntu 12.04

Hi sky5564.

There are seem to be several ways to accomplish this. These are what I think are the most simple:

First, to stop it from popping up: go to 'Startup Applications' and disable the 'Update Notifier'.

Then to avoid double work (the 'check' option that does apt-get update): open 'Update Manager' and press 'Settings'. There is section called 'Automatic Update'. There, change the field 'Check for updates' from 'Daily' to 'Never' (or uncheck the field on 10.04).

I hope that helps, and tell us how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sky5564 View Post
    I want to disable it, I find it annoying and useless, Updating via the terminal is so much easier and faster so tell me how i might go about disabling it?
    Yes, Startup Applications lists all of the programs running in the "tray" at login. Just disable whatever you don't want running in the background.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi sky5564.

There are seem to be several ways to accomplish this. These are what I think are the most simple:

First, to stop it from popping up: go to 'Startup Applications' and disable the 'Update Notifier'.

Then to avoid double work (the 'check' option that does apt-get update): open 'Update Manager' and press 'Settings'. There is section called 'Automatic Update'. There, change the field 'Check for updates' from 'Daily' to 'Never' (or uncheck the field on 10.04).

I hope that helps, and tell us how it goes.
    Regards.
    Well i went to startup applications but it was empty, But i went to the update manager and selected weekly updates instead of daily so maybe that will be good enough to stop the daily nagging lol.

Thanks guys this solved my problem.

Beans

Cut & paste this into the terminal:

sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop

After this, then reopen 'Startup Applications' and all will be good.

Enjoy.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Registered Linux User: #486660

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It's always a good idea to explain exactly what any suggested command line does, since it's so easy to destroy a system by giving out a malicious command. The one by kgarbutt is fine, and helpful -- I mean no criticism of his helpfulness, just a general suggestion to everyone.

Here's what it does: The *.desktop files in the /etc/xdg/autostart directory are the launchers for each listed process, and some but not all of them contain the line "NoDisplay=true" to prevent them from being displayed in the Autostart dialog. His command simply changes that line from "true" to "false" in any desktop file that contains it, so that all of the launchers appear in the dialog and can be enabled or disabled. It's a highly powerful technique!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kgarbutt View Post
    Much appreciated!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kgarbutt View Post
    Cut & paste this into the terminal:

After this, then reopen 'Startup Applications' and all will be good.

Enjoy.
    Sweet! Thanx for that!
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A related question from a Linux newbie.

I've been updating from the shell with apt-get update then apt-get upgrade. I recently did this right after the update manager prompted me to perform several upgrades. I moved to the shell instead.

I then re-opened the update manager to verify that the list of upgrades was indeed empty. To my amazement, it was not (after pushing the check button)... How can apt-get be missing updates scheduled in the update manager?

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by emagar; July 10th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Did you click the "Check" button in Update Manager after doing the update through the terminal? This should force the program to compare the latest version in the repository to those in your machine, and update its list of pending updates accordingly. It doesn't do that checking automatically...
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast