Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ubuntu 12.04 and my 2 cents

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

New Ubuntu 12.04 and my 2 cents

1) wireless does not work. unless i do this in terminal...
    sudo modprobe -r iwlagn
    sudo modprobe iwlagn bt_coex_active=0
    *internet is slow and this must be done each time i log in.

2) no easy way to change gtk/icon theme unless i download either gnome tweak tool or dconf-editor or who knows what else.

3) the dots on the login screen are just plain stupid. no way to edit the login (simple lightdm doesn't work) and neither does grub-customizer. ho-hum.

other than that, it looks descent. i'm still playing with it though. unity is nice and quick but how is this new release supposed to be easy or good for a noob when basic tools are lacking. i install ubuntu on friends computers because they don't want windows anymore, but i can't support this anymore it's getting harder to do stuff.

i'm done. anyone else have similar problems?
    Asus eeePC 1005ha Intel Atom N270 Intel Mobile 945GME Atheros AR9285 2g Crucial 250g hd Ubuntu Linux 10.10 and one big can of Rockstar! Ubuntu user #14514

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New Ubuntu 12.04 and my 2 cents

I've made quite a few threads here since I upgraded detailing the many problems I've had; ultimately, Ubuntu forgot to support my Nvidia drivers; the 173 drivers are out, yay. Now I'm stuck using Ubuntu 2D until Ubuntu releases a fix (if they ever do).
    That and the boot sound won't sound; when I checked "startup applications", it wasn't there....
    honestly this upgrade has done nothing but frustrate me; I kind of wish that I had waited to hear feedback before hitting the "upgrade button"...
    <(OO<) (^OO^) (>OO)>
    Do the Kirby dance...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

hmm, on login screen, make sure volume is turned up (look in upper right corner). mine was originally on mute. i have login sound now.

to see ALL of your startup applications, enter this in terminal and then open up 'startup applications.' works wonders.

#Get all programs and services back in Startup Applications
    sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop
    Asus eeePC 1005ha Intel Atom N270 Intel Mobile 945GME Atheros AR9285 2g Crucial 250g hd Ubuntu Linux 10.10 and one big can of Rockstar! Ubuntu user #14514

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    hmm, on login screen, make sure volume is turned up (look in upper right corner). mine was originally on mute. i have login sound now.

to see ALL of your startup applications, enter this in terminal and then open up 'startup applications.' works wonders.

Well, that showed a lot more applications in "Starup Application", but Gnome Boot Sound (or whatever it was called) isn't there....
    <(OO<) (^OO^) (>OO)>
    Do the Kirby dance...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eirreann View Post
    I've made quite a few threads here since I upgraded detailing the many problems I've had; ultimately, Ubuntu forgot to support my Nvidia drivers; the 173 drivers are out, yay. Now I'm stuck using Ubuntu 2D until Ubuntu releases a fix (if they ever do).
    That and the boot sound won't sound; when I checked "startup applications", it wasn't there....
    honestly this upgrade has done nothing but frustrate me; I kind of wish that I had waited to hear feedback before hitting the "upgrade button"...
    Here is what I suggest about the video card issue. Switch from LightDM to GDM manager, and then reinstall your propertary video driver. I bet you will find that the problem goes away. They will have a patch for LightDM and the video driver soon.

You can reenable the login sound theme if you want. It was ok, I guess.

What else do you need for right now?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

3) the dots on the login screen are just plain stupid. no way to edit the login (simple lightdm doesn't work) and neither does grub-customizer. ho-hum.
    then switch to gdm
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge lightdm;sudo apt-get install gdm
    other than that, it looks descent. i'm still playing with it though. unity is nice and quick but how is this new release supposed to be easy or good for a noob when basic tools are lacking. i install ubuntu on friends computers because they don't want windows anymore, but i can't support this anymore it's getting harder to do stuff.
    then try xubuntu or install mate-desktop with the below commands (neatly in one line)
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu $(lsb_release -cs) main";sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring mate-core mate-desktop-environment mate-indicator-applet
    if you want compiz in mate add this to startup applications you will need to configure compiz in ccsm before starting compiz just so you know
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    if [ 0`mate-session` -gt 0 ]; then
    killall marco
    compiz --replace &
    fi
    wireless does not work. unless i do this in terminal...
    sudo modprobe -r iwlagn
    sudo modprobe iwlagn bt_coex_active=0
    *internet is slow and this must be done each time i log in.
    try putting it in /etc/rc.local before the line exit
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; April 27th, 2012 at 02:38 AM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Sweet

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by techsupport View Post
    Here is what I suggest about the video card issue. Switch from LightDM to GDM manager, and then reinstall your propertary video driver. I bet you will find that the problem goes away. They will have a patch for LightDM and the video driver soon.
    ...I have no idea how on earth to do that....
    Sorry, I'm still new at this...
    <(OO<) (^OO^) (>OO)>
    Do the Kirby dance...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications

Click Add and use this information:

Code:

Name: GNOME Login Sound
    Command: /usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"
    Comment: Plays a sound whenever you log in

That should work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

sudo apt-get purge lightdm;sudo apt-get install gdm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast