Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR9227 causes Ubuntu 12.04 to freeze

Beans

Re: AR9227 causes Ubuntu 12.04 to freeze

Godspell, read your PM

For anyone running into the same issue, a thread here might help:
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=95395&p=2

Apparently the ath9k kernel module has problem with 802.11n network, so just run the network on G only, and everything should be stable. I just briefly changed my access point settings (about 15minutes ago), so far no kernel panic.

Not the ideal solution, but ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Godspell View Post
    No worries, wish I was more helpful.

Great to know Ubuntu still works with cable connection and wouln't crash until wireless is used. Had never tested it myself.

Jesus Christ! Holy Mother of God! Don't mind my geekgasm LOL
    You're an embedded software developer who HAS to use Linux at work!? In other words, you're an IT professional who uses Linux for like what...6, 7 hours a day in and out every weekday.

WOW and DAMN, what I wouldn't give to get a job like that heh. It's like a holy grail of IT jobs.
    I'm a University student and half of the guys in my class don't have any clue how to fix a PC or write a program.....or are even interested in to find out 'how things work'. The other half are too busy reading HCI theories and SDLC methodologies lol. On top of that, all of them don't seem to know the existence of Linux
    So you can probably imagine where my excitement comes from lol Amongst all of those bloody academics, I'm like an outcast.

Anyway, sorry for an unrelated-rant-outbreak.

Btw, if you have a 20M cable, you can probably wire it overhead. You can use the wall sticker clippers to manage it. That way it's a little more permanent. Besides, you don't wanna get your missus tripped over and booted to the couch, do you lol

Best regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by IwakiPingu View Post
    Godspell, read your PM

For anyone running into the same issue, a thread here might help:
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=95395&p=2

Apparently the ath9k kernel module has problem with 802.11n network, so just run the network on G only, and everything should be stable. I just briefly changed my access point settings (about 15minutes ago), so far no kernel panic.

Not the ideal solution, but ah well.
    My router is default O2 Thompson so doesn't have an editable option. But it works for you so it might be the same for others.
    If anyone else has tried this out, please let us know.
    Another thing that I've thought of is.....isn't there this thing called Ndiswrapper?? As far as I remember it's using Windows-compatible drivers on Linux. This was mainly for those devices that don't have opensource support. I really don't know much about it but I wonder if anybody has tried it before? Theoratically, the wireless card works flawlessly on Windows so using drivers from there on Ubuntu should do so, too.

Just my 5p worth
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Beans

I have the same problem

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 x86 with an i5-750 and a p55 motherboard. I also have a TP-LINK TL-WN851ND. The freezing only started when I put this card in my rig about a week ago after having to move my router (no wired connection anymore ).

I saw the solution above about putting the router back to b/g. This isn't a very good solution for me as there are a few other devices on my network a fair distance from the router. They are really taking advantage of n's MIMO technology.

Has anyone found a fix? Perhaps there are some bleeding edge drivers around that may resolve the issue....

Thanks
    Dingers

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dingers View Post
    I have the same problem

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 x86 with an i5-750 and a p55 motherboard. I also have a TP-LINK TL-WN851ND. The freezing only started when I put this card in my rig about a week ago after having to move my router (no wired connection anymore ).

I saw the solution above about putting the router back to b/g. This isn't a very good solution for me as there are a few other devices on my network a fair distance from the router. They are really taking advantage of n's MIMO technology.

Has anyone found a fix? Perhaps there are some bleeding edge drivers around that may resolve the issue....

Thanks
    Dingers
    So far, there is no fix for this (except to just use the G wireless like suggested above). I had to get a long cable for my PC to use LAN and disable the wireless. Either that or you're better off getting a new card. Personally, I'm not fond of that cause I use Windows 7 and the card works really good there.

So yeah, I'm afraid there's no fix at all.

Many thanks and regards.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Beans

Just installed this card (TL-WN851ND Wireless N PCI Adapter) in a PC which my son has built and were getting the same problem... Arggh.
    Worked fine when connected by cable but that means our router is not in the best place for all the other devices in the house.

The router is a Netgear DG834G running in mixed b/g mode (supporting an old Roku Soundbridge that only has 802.11b) - It does not support "n" so that's not the solution.

Symptoms
    Everything seems to be working fine - for anything between 30 minutes and 2 hours
    Sound seems to go into a loop for a few seconds
    Screen goes black
    Only way out is to hit the reset button.

Software
    Ubuntu 12.04 - All updates installed

Hardware
    AMD Athlon II X3 455
    Biostar TA890GXE Motherboard - built in graphics and audio.
    8GB RAM

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by praseodym View Post
    That page is German which means un-readable. Could you please make sure, for next time, that everything you post here is in English? So all of us can read it. Thank you.

For now, I've used Google Translate for it. Obviously, it's not all accurately translated but a little bit better than before. Here's the link:

http://translate.google.com/translat...584572&act=url

Many thanks and regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Found a similar one here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...do+update+grub

Sorry, for not translating

Beans

Hi everyone!

First post here

I recently purchased an HTPC and added it a TL-WN851ND Wireless N PCI Adapter... I installed XBMCbuntu and, of course... as soon as I try to connect to the wireless network, the system freezes.

Any solution since the last post?

I'm also a newcomer to linux, so please be kind..

Beans

Have AR928X, but froze after a day after latest update/grade Ubuntu 12.04.

sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart

Used this to start network manager and got connection again.

source:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/14817...24-generic-pae

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12