Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 lts Hp touchpad right click problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 lts Hp touchpad right click problem

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherMuggle View Post
    As promised I have attached my mouse driver patch for kernel 3.2.0-24-generic-pae. I am using this patch myself but I only just finished tinkering with it so I can't promise anything regarding reliability or whether the patch will work for other people. Hopefully it will help some people out!

1. Download the attached file to your computers desktop
    2. sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential
    3. cd ~/Desktop
    4. tar jxvf psmouse-3.2.0-24-generic-pae.tar.bz2
    5. sudo mv psmouse-3.2.0-24-generic-pae /usr/src
    6. cd /usr/src
    7. sudo chmod -R a+rx psmouse-3.2.0-24-generic-pae
    8. sudo dkms add -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae
    9. sudo dkms build -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae
    10. sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae
    11. sudo modprobe -r psmouse
    12. sudo modprobe psmouse
    13. sudo dkms status

The output of the last command should look similar to this (with no errors):
    "psmouse, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, i686: installed"

No need to restart the computer as the driver is now loaded and the mouse should be working, including the hardware right button.
    Fantastic!!!=D> Folio 13 user
    Last edited by howefield; June 17th, 2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: removed spam.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi incindre,

I think the first step you need to take is to completely remove the dkms module from your system as it is not compatible with your kernel. You are using a different kernel version and it is also 64 bit, either of these things, or both, could be causing the problem.

To remove the module, log in, open a terminal and run the following commands. Reboot the system and you should be back to square one... a working mouse but left click only.

Code:
    1. sudo dkms uninstall -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae
    2. sudo dkms remove -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae --all
    Let me know how you get on with that.

Regards,
    Tom
    That is what I was looking for. Thanks AnotherMuggle

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by earthwormgym View Post
    Hi, I'm not familiar with c programming but it wasn't too tricky to work out. I have attached a patch file of the changes I have made in case they are useful to any one else. This has the top 80% of the pad being left click with the bottom 20% being split in half for left and right click (no middle button)
    Perfect!!! This is exactly the change I was planning on making. Thanks

Beans

Hi, I'm a Folio 13 user, and after the patch everything works fine, left and right click, double-finger scrolling, but when i click with the left button and try to drag a selection with other finger it doesnt work. Does anybody using a Folio 13 had a similar problem? If yes, do you know how to fix it?

Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by azevedo View Post
    Hi, I'm a Folio 13 user, and after the patch everything works fine, left and right click, double-finger scrolling, but when i click with the left button and try to drag a selection with other finger it doesnt work. Does anybody using a Folio 13 had a similar problem? If yes, do you know how to fix it?

Cheers!
    When you click the left button, try placing the touch right on the bottom edge of the touch area. Does that help?

It might be because some of the coordinates are slightly different in the touchpad on that device and need tweaking in the source code.

Beans

As promised I have attached my mouse driver patch for kernel 3.2.0-24-generic-pae. I am using this patch myself but I only just finished tinkering with it so I can't promise anything regarding reliability or whether the patch will work for other people. Hopefully it will help some people out!

3. cd ~/Desktop
    6. cd /usr/src
    13. sudo dkms status

No need to restart the computer as the driver is now loaded and the mouse should be working, including the hardware right button.
    Thank You so much. That perfectly works. I just changed the kernel version with mine.

Beans

When you click the left button, try placing the touch right on the bottom edge of the touch area. Does that help?

It might be because some of the coordinates are slightly different in the touchpad on that device and need tweaking in the source code.
    Hi, it's weird, but after restarting the computer, now it's actually working, not very properly though. depending on how i click on the left button, im able to drag or not. I still havent figured out exactly what is the best way to do it. But as im usually use an usb mouse I wont take it too seriously. Thanks for the attention, by the way.

Beans
    Distro

3. cd ~/Desktop
    6. cd /usr/src
    13. sudo dkms status

At step 11, X is crashing and I'm being returned to the initial login window without any use of the touchpad at all.

This problem has been re-occurring for so long, if I can't fix this soon, I'm probably going to move this machine to the new iteration of Fedora Core, which does not seem to have any issues with my Mini 210's hardware in my live-distro tests. I'm quite happy with how 12.04 is working on my full-size laptop (which has been running Ubuntu since 6.10), but on this netbook, Ubuntu has been somewhat of a pig for the last few upgrade cycles because of this and several other hardware issues. Has anyone else had this level of frustration with their HP Mini's, or is mine just special?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaflow View Post
    At step 11, X is crashing and I'm being returned to the initial login window without any use of the touchpad at all.

This problem has been re-occurring for so long, if I can't fix this soon, I'm probably going to move this machine to the new iteration of Fedora Core, which does not seem to have any issues with my Mini 210's hardware in my live-distro tests. I'm quite happy with how 12.04 is working on my full-size laptop (which has been running Ubuntu since 6.10), but on this netbook, Ubuntu has been somewhat of a pig for the last few upgrade cycles because of this and several other hardware issues. Has anyone else had this level of frustration with their HP Mini's, or is mine just special?
    The touchpad has been my main cause of problems with Ubuntu on my Mini 210. I have tried other distro's and been faced with the same problems. It's interesting that you say Fedora doesn't have the same issue, they must be applying a patch themselves or using a different driver for touchpad support.

Beans

3. cd ~/Desktop
    6. cd /usr/src
    13. sudo dkms status

Will this work with kernel version 3.2.0-26? If not I have coded a bit in c++ and could try to patch the patch for this version, but just wanted to see if it would work before I break my kernel. Thanks!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast