Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 lts Hp touchpad right click problem

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu 12.04 lts Hp touchpad right click problem[SOLVED]

Hi all,

I've just downloaded ubuntu 12.04 lts and It was pretty good experience until i realize to my touchpad problem.

It was same nightmare just like ubuntu 11.10, i can not use my right click function.

I tried this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/83590...p-pavilion-dv6 but it didn't work, I'm waiting for your help.

ps: I've Hp Probook

SOLVED: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=18
    Thank you Tomkear2006
    Last edited by emirwashere; May 16th, 2012 at 05:56 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 lts Hp touchpad right click problem

I believe I'm having the same issue. Right click is not working (it is being treated as a left click). I'm using a HP Pavillion dv7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This is a very old, old problem that was supposed to be fixed in 12.04. I just blew away my working 11.10 config on my HP Mini 2102 because this was supposed to be working now. I have struggling with this since 10.10 and only help from the community to create hacks has helped.

My only reason to upgrade was that this was supposed to be working. Time to load the backup and get back to 11.10 or finally move to SUSE which has this simple problem fixed.

Very disappointed again. Ubuntu just seems to be a bag of hurt on netbooks.

Beans
    Distro

After searching I found one useful tip to reenable the right click but even with that 12.04 is a major step backward from where I was with the patched driver.

Here is what I did:

1. Create 51-clickpad.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory. Note that xorg.conf.d directory did not exist for me on 12.04 as it did in previous versions so I had to make the directory.
    2. Put the following lines in 51-clickpad.conf
    Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "Default clickpad buttons"
    MatchDriver "synaptics"
    Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"

#Next 3 items added just for the HP Mini to better control the clickpad
    Option "LockedDrags" "1"
    Option "BottomEdge" "4000"
    Option "AreaBottomEdge" "4445"

EndSection
    3. Logout / Login for changes to take effect.

The SoftButtonAreas fixes the right click. The BottomEdge items mask off the bottom of the clickpad so the button will not act like the rest of the clickpad when dragging your finger on it.

I had to add LockedDrags which I hate, because I can no longer left click with my thumb and drag with pointer finger. The sensitivity is all messed up so locked drags is my only solution if I stay with Ubuntu. I keep threating to change to SUSE but I like all the rest of Ubuntu better. The hardware support for Netbooks and laptops with clickpads has been bad for years now.

Beans

I've had this problem for ages with my Pavilion DV6, but I can get the right click action on 12.04 (running live as I type) by tapping the lower right corner of the touchpad. And by that I mean the lower right corner of the space where you would tap to click in the lower right space (if that makes sense).
    EeePC 701 - Ubuntu 10.04 | | HP DV6 - Linux Mint 13 MATE Edition
    My Eee Blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by barrieluv View Post
    I've had this problem for ages with my Pavilion DV6, but I can get the right click action on 12.04 (running live as I type) by tapping the lower right corner of the touchpad. And by that I mean the lower right corner of the space where you would tap to click in the lower right space (if that makes sense).
    Yes that works because by default RTCornerButton = 2. Which means when you tap the lower right corner treat it as a Right Click. 1=Left, 2 =Right, 3=Middle if HW supports.

For those that are interested in your runtime settings, go to Terminal and type synclient -l That is a lower case "L". You can change runtime parameters by typing syclient RTCornerButton=1 for example. This will make the right corner a Left click instead for a test. All changes revert back after logout / login or restart X server.

To remain persistent you have to put them in any file with a .conf extension in the xorg.conf.d directory.

Manpages for this are here http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...naptics.4.html

I have spent way too many hours messing with this since Maverick.

Good luck.

Beans

Hi,

Got same problem on HP Mini 210 2001sa.

Looks like right button on clickpad is not being detected:

Code:
    xinput list-props "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" | grep Capabilities
    gives

Code:
    Synaptics Capabilities (297):   1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1
    Still got jumpy 'left click + drag', but its soooo close to being fixed! Multitouch etc. all seems to work well.

(update) - As VideoRoy and ufuntoo pointed out that single button detection is probably correct. Instead, when button a is pressed, the driver uses the position of the finger to determine if a left/(middle)/right click took place.
    Last edited by lim1t; April 28th, 2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Possibly misleading

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lim1t View Post
    Hi,

Got same problem on HP Mini 210 2001sa.

Looks like right button on clickpad is not being detected:

Code:
    xinput list-props "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" | grep Capabilities
    gives

Code:
    Synaptics Capabilities (297):   1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1
    Still got jumpy 'left click + drag', but its soooo close to being fixed! Multitouch etc. all seems to work well.
    I am on the Mini 2102 basically the business model of the 210. If you use the settings I have above Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0" it will give you back the right click.

This was a work around until they fix it in 12.10.

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu 12.04 lts Hp touchpad right click problem

Quote Originally Posted by VideoRoy View Post
    I am on the Mini 2102 basically the business model of the 210. If you use the settings I have above Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0" it will give you back the right click.

This was a work around until they fix it in 12.10.
    It Works!

Thanks VR, that really is a good workable setup.

Beans

So, I have an HP clickpad as well (same SynPS/2 as above). By accident I determined that the clickpad seems to not distinguish between mechanical buttons. Instead it uses a 1 finger click as a left click and a 2 finger click as a right click. Its not intuitive at the start but I personally think it may grow on me.
    Last edited by ufuntoo; April 28th, 2012 at 04:02 AM.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast