Thread: Kaffeine & Amarok keep crashing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Red face Kaffeine & Amarok keep crashing

I recently updated my Kubuntu with a fresh install of Trinity (KDE3), v. 10.10. I was attempting to get Kaffeine to play WMA's, so I installed the kubuntu-restricted-extras package (from one of the documentation posts in this forum).

It seemed to work OK until I tried to add another song to my (existing) playlist, then it crashed. Now every time I open Kaffeine and either click "Play Playlist" or try to open a file, it crashes. The "Backtrace" tab states "Unable to create a valid backtrace."

Amarok suffers from the same trouble, and it doesn't give me any useful debugging information either.

I tried purging and reinstalling Kaffeine, with no luck.

Any ideas what I might have broken? Do I need to uninstall the kubuntu-restricted-extras? If so, then how would I make Kaffeine play wma files?

Thanks!

Update: I should add that I installed this same Kubuntu on my older laptop a while ago. Kaffeine will run on that one (though it does crash fairly frequently).
    Last edited by chellrose; April 26th, 2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: additional info
    int main() {
    User chellrose;
    chellrose.insert_clever_signature();
    return 0;}