Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 Unity Bar Auto-Hide feature bug

Beans

Re: 12.04 Unity Bar Auto-Hide feature bug

Just for my information, does anyone know how to report a bug directly to the developers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I suspect all problems with unity are because of the nvidia graphics cards or the drivers installed.

If you are running the Nvidia-current 295.40 it may need to be rolled back to 295.33 or earlier. I have heard that 280 doesn't work and 173 is not compatible with Xserver 1.11
    Last edited by NoNameWill; April 27th, 2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: The word "may"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxABillion View Post
    Just for my information, does anyone know how to report a bug directly to the developers?
    http://launchpad.net/
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by NoNameWill View Post
    I suspect all problems with unity are because of the nvidia graphics cards or the drivers installed.

If you are running the Nvidia-current 295.40 it need to be rolled back to 295.33 or earlier. I have heard that 280 doesn't work and 173 is not compatible with Xserver 1.11
    Yeah, with Ubuntu 11.10 I was running the 173 drivers; so how do i upgrade/downgrade?
    <(OO<) (^OO^) (>OO)>
    Do the Kirby dance...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Eirreann View Post
    Yeah, with Ubuntu 11.10 I was running the 173 drivers; so how do i upgrade/downgrade?

Well I don't think you can as the xserver 1.11 is not compatible with that driver.

You could install the driver by downloading it from nvidia. However that may make things worse. This would be ill advised.

To install a earlier driver this is one way.
    Do this through tty (ctrl+alt+f2)
    Code:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*

cd path/to/nvidia_driver 

sudo service lightdm stop 

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-YOURDRIVER.run 			

Beans

I want to report this bug but i'm such a newb to launchpad that i'm just going to wait and hope that it gets fixed.

Beans
    Distro

Well I don't think you can as the xserver 1.11 is not compatible with that driver.

You could install the driver by downloading it from nvidia. However that may make things worse. This would be ill advised.

To install a earlier driver this is one way.
    Do this through tty (ctrl+alt+f2)
    Code:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*

cd path/to/nvidia_driver 

sudo service lightdm stop 

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-YOURDRIVER.run             
    Okay... so would I put 173 where you put in bold "YOURDRIVER"? Also, what is the likelihood that Ubuntu will be releasing a fix for this issue? I'd rather not do something that would screw up my computer if Ubuntu may be releasing a fix...
    <(OO<) (^OO^) (>OO)>
    Do the Kirby dance...

Beans
    Distro

Okay... so would I put 173 where you put in bold "YOURDRIVER"? Also, what is the likelihood that Ubuntu will be releasing a fix for this issue? I'd rather not do something that would screw up my computer if Ubuntu may be releasing a fix...
    I don't know if they are going to fix it. If they do it may be awhile or not at all. This has been known since at least January. It may be up to nvidia to fix it. Since the 295.40 driver is borked. Who knows how much longer nvidia will take. I am rolling off the 295.33 driver.

If you do decide to do it that way. Just replace NVIDA-Linux-Yourdriver.run with the name Nvidia gives it. Also once you change to the directory that the driver is d/l'd to you can type out part of the name and hit TAB it will autofill.

This why I have three versions of Ubuntu in separate partitions. I alway suspect the newest version to need some work to get going. Like forcing things to work.

Beans
    Distro

I don't know if they are going to fix it. If they do it may be awhile or not at all. This has been known since at least January. It may be up to nvidia to fix it. Since the 295.40 driver is borked. Who knows how much longer nvidia will take. I am rolling off the 295.33 driver.

If you do decide to do it that way. Just replace NVIDA-Linux-Yourdriver.run with the name Nvidia gives it. Also once you change to the directory that the driver is d/l'd to you can type out part of the name and hit TAB it will autofill.

This why I have three versions of Ubuntu in separate partitions. I alway suspect the newest version to need some work to get going. Like forcing things to work.
    Sorry, I'm still a bit of a noob here... what is the name that Nvidia gives it?
    And this statement:
    "Also once you change to the directory that the driver is d/l'd to you can type out part of the name and hit TAB it will autofill."
    didn't make sense to me...
    sorry, as I said, I'm still a bit new to all this; only been running Ubuntu for about a month.
    <(OO<) (^OO^) (>OO)>
    Do the Kirby dance...

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I'm still a bit of a noob here... what is the name that Nvidia gives it?
    And this statement:
    "Also once you change to the directory that the driver is d/l'd to you can type out part of the name and hit TAB it will autofill."
    didn't make sense to me...
    sorry, as I said, I'm still a bit new to all this; only been running Ubuntu for about a month.
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Go here to download your driver. Pick either 32 or 64 bit linux. What ever version you are using.

This will all have to be done from the command line interface through tty (ctrl+alt+f2) press those three keys at login. To get out press alt+f7 this will bring you back to the GUI. I know you said you had problems with unity 2d. Try logging in to 2d then go to TTY log in again and try this. Just to see if that works.
    Code:
    unity --reset
    cd is a command for changing directories. This might be a good time to google BASH manual or commands. There is the wget command also for downloading files from CLI.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast