Thread: Can someone correct mörgæs' error?

Beans

Can someone correct mörgæs' error?

I posted two separate threads about two separate questions I had (there's a clue in the two different thread titles) and because I included the same background info, mörgæs wrongly assumed the threads were the same and merged them.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1965662

Unsurprisingly I've subsequently had no replies one question, and the replies on the other have dried up now the resultant merged thread's a nonsense.

I've written to mörgæs in the hope he would rectify his own mistake but all he's done is report me for an infraction.

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer.

G

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Can someone correct mörgæs' error?

Please be patient, I agree with the merge of the threads. Will look into the infraction.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    I agree with the merge of the threads.
    Sorry, this is what I don't understand. I used the same text to surmise the background (because I thought it was more considerate to provide background rather than not) but I would genuinely like help and be shown where I am wrong in thinking the 2 threads are different.

One asks about whether an old PC is compatible with new monitors.

The other asks what variant of Ubuntu is best suited to an old machine to be used for some limited specific uses.

Beans

Overdrank, if you agree with the merger then I don't object to the infraction and nobody needs to waste their time reviewing it - I was upset because I genuinely could not (and still cannot) see why the threads are deemed the same, and thought my tone was justified.

If questions about monitors, and questions about lightweight distros must be merged, then please could a mod just delete the first post which asks about the monitor?

At the moment the thread won't help anyone because the title of the thread asks about distros, and the first post asks about monitors.

At least if the first post is deleted it will still serve a purpose.

Still slightly incredulous to be honest - I really would love some feedback about how the qs were the same.
    Last edited by sffvba[e0rt; April 27th, 2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: changed language bypassing language filter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Mistakes happen , I agree you have 2 separate questions.

But, in reviewing your questions I think there is a better strategy.

My in-law's Mac has just given up the ghost and they are computer-less so I was hoping I could use an old unused Dell Dimension 5100 Intel P4 3.2ghz, install some variant of Ubuntu and buy them a big new monitor so it doesn't feel too ancient.
    This information is off topic, and generally unrelated to the question. Certainly does not need to be repeated with each and every question you might post.

Can the Old Dell live up to a new 27" screen like the Benq GL2750HM LED LCD 27" HDMI Monitor I'm looking at?
    You did not provide sufficient information to be able to answer that. What video card are you using ?

Please do not answer that here, but do please include sufficient information to assist us in helping you.

I'd like to ask what variant of Ubuntu I should stick on the machine?
    That question is best answered - Use the version of Ubuntu you prefer. IMO performance is not that different between versions, YMMV

Sounds as if we are in agreement to the infraction, no need to get so angry over a trivial merge.

If you wish I can close the tread and you can start new with better quality questions.

See http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Started typing a long reply in the hope of showing why this is rather ridiculous, but whatever...

In summary then, to make sure I understand:

Off topic info in an OP - Not allowed
    Questions about hardware compatiblity without every piece of information - No allowed
    Questions about which Distro to pick - YMMV - Not Allowed

Beans

On the basis you're going to close my thread, I am trying to rephrase the q about distros and I need assistance.

I want to explain that the machine is for my inlaws who used to have a mac, and who are used to how a mac works and who will now have to put up with my old Dell and so I want to use a distro that is similar to mac os but fast on a basic machine.

I'm seemingly not allowed to post any of the above facts as they are off topic.

Please can you help with a form of words that conveys the above information in a similarly concise manner, that additionally conveys, as my original q did, that I am not a Linux expert, in a form that is acceptable to mörgæs.

Thanks for your help.

I appreciate that your time is all voluntary, and I'm really grateful. I really apologise for the time I've taken up by posting the two original questions, which, by their heinous nature, could obviously not have been allowed to stay, in their original format, and which have now necessitated all this imperative resolution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I do not know what gives you the impression "Not allowed"

The posting style is not the best way of getting your questions answered.

In terms of the off topic background, I merely said there is no need to repeat it. People who are trying to help you may or may not read it.

In terms of hardware questions, we really can not give you an answer to "will my monitor work" without sufficient information.

In terms of which distro to use, yes that is a matter of opinion and can be at times hotly debated. If you want to discuss those sorts of issues, use the café or Recurring discussions, we have a whole lot of discussion about those topics, knock yourself out. Just do not use the support sections for this sort of debate.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface