Thread: Identifying a possible IP conflict problem

Question Identifying a possible IP conflict problem

Hello forum

So Windows will pop a nice colorful message whenever there is an IP conflict, and it also save the information somewhere in its logs...

How can I tell from my GNU/linux server whether or not there is an IP conflict and if possible detect the culprit (get it's mac address, hostname or something)?

More information: I can(not) access the http and ssh services at random...
    How strange it is, that a fool or a knave, with riches, should be treated with more respect by the world, than a good man, or a wise man in poverty!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Identifying a possible IP conflict problem

Hi azzamite.

If you are using dhcp, you may take a look ate the /var/log/daemon.log:
    Code:
    grep -i dhclient daemon.log
    If you set a static address for your machine, that in itself could be the problem. I can see a couple of situations:
    • Your router (or DHCP server) does not support static IPs.
    • Your router support them, but the address you set is not in the range supported.

I hope that helps, and tell us how it goes.
    Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    If you set a static address for your machine, that in itself could be the problem.
    Yeah, the server uses an static IP... because it is the head node of a cluster we were provided with an unused external IP address for it...

AFAIK the DHPC server (which I have no access to) does NOT assign external IPs, however anyone here can just illegally use them anyway to bypass some restrictions from the switches... or something like that.

So I'm trying to figure out if linux logs somewhere the event that there is an IP conflict like other OSes does so that I can complain to someone about it randomly going offline
    How strange it is, that a fool or a knave, with riches, should be treated with more respect by the world, than a good man, or a wise man in poverty!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I wouldn't say using a public IP illegally is that easy. Unless you are connected to the correct router, you can set what ever you want on your computer/server, it will be invisible from the internet. It would be like a private IP in a way. Without correct gateway.

One thing to try is disabling the interface on your server and pinging the IP. If it returns a reply, it is configured somewhere else. But that would work only at the moment when you think you have a conflict. And if you can disable the interface.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Install nmap (sudo apt-get install nmap) and do a ping scan of the subnet in question:

Code:
    nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/24
    replacing 192.168.0.0/24 with the appropriate network address and mask. It will try all addresses in the subnet and report back with the MAC addresses of all the machines it finds.

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Code:
    nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/24
    I have been playing with that and the -A option, but it doesn't gives me enough information.

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    I wouldn't say using a public IP illegally is that easy. Unless you are connected to the correct router.
    Yeah, that's the way this network is configured...

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    One thing to try is disabling the interface on your server and pinging the IP. If it returns a reply, it is configured somewhere else.
    I wonder why that didn't occurred to me at all. Thanks, I just did and I'll make sure some MAC/person gets banned from the network tomorrow.