Thread: How to restore single line scroll capability under Gnome 3 Classic

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How to restore single line scroll capability under Gnome 3 Classic

I recently installed oneiric, gnome-session-fallback, and am using Gnome Classic (no effects). With Gnome Classic there are no scrollbars. To restore them I followed instructions to uninstall overlay-scrollbar, liboverlay-scrollbar-0.2-0, and liboverlay-scrollbar3-0.2-0. This got me (almost) the classic scrollbars, but the arrows at the end of the scrollbars are missing. This means I can't scroll up and down a line at a time on many things (like Nautilus), and I really miss this feature.

Can anybody tell me how to get back, under Gnome 3 Classic, a single line scroll capability using the scrollbars? Many applications,such as LibreOffice still have the single line scroll (arrows at ends of scrollbars), but Linux utilities like Nautilus don't allow single line scroll. I haven't tried Precise. Does it have single line scroll capability, when using Gnome 3 Classic? I would sure appreciate any help.

Ralph

Beans
    Distro

Re: How to restore single line scroll capability under Gnome 3 Classic

I found 2 solutions for getting the scrollbar stepper arrows back under Precise Pengolin. The easiest one was to install the Clearwaita theme from http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=145210 . I found this referenced at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1917567 . Although I have installed so much garbage trying to solve this problem that I am not sure about what caused what to happen, it appears that Clearwaita will automatically install the stepper arrows. The other solution I found was at http://askubuntu.com/questions/34214...lay-scrollbars . This solution seemed to install stepper arrows on themes that didn't have them built in, such as Radiance. See excerpt below:

Just disabling or removing the overlay-scrollbars as described by the other answers will get you back the scroll bars, but they will be missing the stepper buttons at the end of the bars because they have been disabled in the Ambiance theme. To re-enable them, put the following in the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file:

style "default" {
    engine "murrine" {
    stepperstyle = 0
    }
    }

and the following into the file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

.scrollbar {
    -GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: 1;
    -GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: 1;
    }

I needed to at least log out and log in to get the steppers to appear. Once I had to do a complete reboot.

Hope this helps somebody.
    Ralph

Beans

Thanks Ralph L. This is exactly what I needed.

Beans
    Distro

Note that Clearwaita theme has now become Clearlooks-Phenix. You can google it.

Beans
    Distro

Here are two additional (and probably better) ways to disable overlay scrollbars. I discovered these later:

1. Install dconf Editor using Synaptic or Ubuntu Software Center to install "dconf-tools". Go to Main menu>Applications>System Tools>dconf Editor. In dconf Editor go to org>gnome>desktop>interfaces and uncheck ubuntu-overlay-scrollbars.

2. In Terminal enter “gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface ubuntu-overlay-scrollbars false”.