Thread: Nvidia problems with 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nvidia problems with 12.04

Just install 12.04.

It wanted to install the Nvidia drivers (geforce 6100) like in the past. This time after install the log in screen comes up I log in then the screen goes black! I've had trouble with Nvidia drivers for the past five years and its always the same.

How do I just use the generic drivers that come with Ubuntu and forget about Nvidia altogether?

I'll have to reinstall 12.04 and just ignore the driver pop up. Maybe the Ubuntu logo will show up on start up and shut down like it should. I'm sick of proprietory drivers! They are nothing but trouble.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Nvidia problems with 12.04

Open Dash by pressing the Super (or Windows) button, and type "driver"

Open "Additional Driver"

Another way to do this is to go to

System Settings------> Additional Drivers

Then select the driver that you want to remove, and click "Remove"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When you see the log in screen, hit CTRL+ALT+F2, enter your login name and password, then run these commands in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    When you see the log in screen, hit CTRL+ALT+F2, enter your login name and password, then run these commands in the terminal:

Code:
    What will that do?

After reinstalling 12.04 and ignoring the additional drivers, all is well. Would like nvidia dirvers to work, but they have a bad track record. I'm willing to try though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post

Code:

Quote Originally Posted by geovino View Post
    What will that do?

After reinstalling 12.04 and ignoring the additional drivers, all is well. Would like nvidia dirvers to work, but they have a bad track record. I'm willing to try though.
    Hi Geovino. You do not need to that what LovingLinux said anymore since you reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04 without Nvidia driver.

That command removes any packages that are nvidia related.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by geovino View Post
    What will that do?
    For future reference, you didn't need to re-install. Those commands were for removing the proprietary nvidia driver from your system when you are unable to log into the GUI. I had to do something similar a few days ago - I too was confronted with a black screen with the nvidia driver, but uninstalling the driver from the CLI and then rebooting soon had me back with a GUI.

And then I replaced the nvidia card with an AMD card, and I've been happy since.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    For future reference, you didn't need to re-install. Those commands were for removing the proprietary nvidia driver from your system when you are unable to log into the GUI. I had to do something similar a few days ago - I too was confronted with a black screen with the nvidia driver, but uninstalling the driver from the CLI and then rebooting soon had me back with a GUI.

And then I replaced the nvidia card with an AMD card, and I've been happy since.
    Thanks, I'll live without Nvidia for now, and maybe install another video card, but I have 3 other hard drives on this PC with Debian 6, Fedora 16, and Windows 7. Debian and Fedora have always had trouble Nvidia and I gave up with them and Nvidia a long time ago. I like Ubuntu the best overall. What would you suggest if I look for another video card?

Beans

I shall continue here with another problem of NVIDIA Graphic drivers. When I use Additional Drivers and choose any of those two options I get same problem. After reboot everything, except wallpaper, (Unity bar, other bars, all windows) goes slightly blur and starts vibrating one pixel up and down.

Because of this I'm forced to work without NVIDIA Graphic Drivers. Not very nice. Back when I was using Ubuntu 10.10, 11.04 or Mint 11 I didn't had any problems like this.

I have NVIDIA GeForce 7900 and Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit.

Anyone knows solution for this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Here's the problem with nvidia cards:
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=178460
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro

With 12.04 when we tick install restricted extras as part of the install we also get the proprietary video driver installed as well.

If we do not tick to install restricted extras, then the open source driver should be activated.

We might then be able to use Synaptic (not installed by default) to activate an older Nvidia driver that does not do this kind of thing.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530