Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS!

Quote Originally Posted by abimael08 View Post
    Do SYSTEM76 laptops work well?? better than main stream laptops, like Dell, HP or Toshiba??
    If I could get $200 for my Lemur I'd take it. Its flimsy with a horrid keyboard. Had I an opportunity to feel it prior to purchase Id of never done it. It also has a flimsy cover on the back of the lcd. I took it out of my bag one day and the lcd was shattered. System 76 tried to tell me I closed a pencil on it or something. The wanted $400 + replace the screen. Then after begging them to sell me a screen as if I was after the queen mums balls they wanted an insane price for just a screen and insisted it could not be replaced. Enter google, $115 and about 20 minutes and I was back in business. I sill can't wrap my head around who they want to be their customer.

There are many companies I will not do business with as a result of their business practices. I'll happily pay more from a small company to support it depending on what its up to. I have never been in a Wallmart, I am done forever with Exxon/Mobil, BP, Micro$oft and others. All that said Dell would at least sell you the friggin part. IMHO Thinkpads have the only usable keyboards and generally are reliable but ya cant get a new one without an OS.

I had a zareason prior to this system 76. It was well built and fabulously constructed but the modem never worked and after a month of being jerked about by their tech support and the CEO I sent it back did a charge back as vendors are required to deliver working products, contrary to what the CEO was trying to blow up my skirt.

I say again people: HOW BIG should 12.04 be as mine is 30+gigs and what is the work around to reclaim some of my HD space?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    thank you

Beans

Not enough free disk space
    The upgrade has aborted. The upgrade needs a total of 3,219 M free space on disk '/'. Please free at least an additional 184 M of disk space on '/'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'.

Thanks for reposting this to me. Running sudo apt-get clean was good for about 3 gigs so 12.04 is down to about 19 gigs. That seems HUGE to me. 1/2 of my HD taken up by the OS might be workable for a Winblow$ set up but Ubuntu? How big is your OS?

Quote Originally Posted by 0tto View Post
    Not enough free disk space
    The upgrade has aborted. The upgrade needs a total of 3,219 M free space on disk '/'. Please free at least an additional 184 M of disk space on '/'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'.

Thanks for reposting this to me. Running sudo apt-get clean was good for about 3 gigs so 12.04 is down to about 19 gigs. That seems HUGE to me. 1/2 of my HD taken up by the OS might be workable for a Winblow$ set up but Ubuntu? How big is your OS?

Here is a good resource for you: https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/instal...are-reqts.html

However, as you shrink the install size you shrink the capabilities. If I look at my partitions (as I posted on the previous page) you can see that I am using 8.9G (after installing 12.04) on my root, with the bulk of my data in my /home folder . There are plenty of things that I have installed that could be bulking up my root as well. When I get things from the software store I don't pay attention to where they install (maybe I should) to know if they are in my home folder or elsewhere.

Not sure if that really helps, but it might give you a better idea.

Hope that helps...
    (maybe someone with more knowledge than me can chime in here)

Beans

you can see that I am using 8.9G (after installing 12.04) on my root, with the bulk of my data in my /home folder .

Well there it is. You have 12.04 running at 8.9G and mine is 19G. so what I am looking for is what to get rid of and how to do it. What could be so hard about that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by shochatd View Post
    Last night I did the upgrade to 12.04 on my brand new Lemur Ultra, and all is well. However, there were a few hitches along the way:
    1. The scariest moment was when it said that the device to install grub to was missing (!) or had a different name, and mentioned to options: /dev/hda and /dev/hda1. It said if I wasn´t sure to choose both (I think that is what it was saying). So I checked both and it worked. I´m sad to have seen this because it could be totally bewildering to someone who had no idea what these things mean. I´ve done many Ubuntu upgrades on various desktops and never seen this before. Now that the system is up and running, I see that / is on /dev/hda1. Does anyone know what was going on here?
    -- David
    Did the update today.

Like you I was unsure when I got to that point. Fortunately I have lots of PCs so I did some research on another PC before proceeding.

Like you I was a bit mystified as to which if any of a) "was missing" or b) "had a different name" applied.

I think / was on /dev/hda1 before your upgrade i.e. no change there.

I believe that you did not choose the correct option. I think you are supposed to choose only /dev/hda

The help available on that dialog box itself suggests only installing on the drive, not on partitions (if I recall correctly).

Also, this page http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Res...rub_Bootloader says
    Important Note About GRUB Updates!

If you need to configure grub-pc (for example, after an update), installing grub to all devices will break GRUB. You will need to install to /dev/sda (not /dev/sda1) **only**. Installing everywhere **will** break the bootloader.
    Given that it says "will break" but you do not appear to have "broken" I don't know what is going on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by 0tto View Post
    How big is 12.04 supposed to be
    I'm using a shade under 10 GB on / and that's with basically no files (because all my files are on a file server) so I suppose that 10 GB is just software. I don't have much installed over and above what comes with Ubuntu. That doesn't include the swap partition.

There could be file system overheads. That's going to depend on what file system you have. I have ext4.

Is this typical?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Newbunto View Post
    I'm using a shade under 10 GB on / and that's with basically no files (because all my files are on a file server) so I suppose that 10 GB is just software. I don't have much installed over and above what comes with Ubuntu. That doesn't include the swap partition.

There could be file system overheads. That's going to depend on what file system you have. I have ext4.

Is this typical?
    I would check that you don't have local copies of files. Ubuntu should occupy less than 3 GB of space installed.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Precise is the only word I can think of to describe it
    How about "pangolin"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    I would check that you don't have local copies of files.
    Local copies of what files?

How would I check that?

Where would I look?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast