Thread: It takes "different strokes"

Beans

It takes "different strokes"

If you want one of the forum administrators to take a look at your situation, you are welcome to start a thread in the resolution center.
    So, here "we" are.

I don't see this as "my situation" but more "our situation". I don't think the person who took action on me did it out of malice or pleasure. They can correct me if I am wrong.

The resolution I am requesting is for the jedi on the council to recommend a different approach the padawan learners can take instead striking first and listening later.

In short, I have used Ubuntu on and off (like maybe every 3 years since 2003) to see what it was like. I used Edubuntu in my classes 2 years ago, and when I heard about 12.04 I decided to upgrade. I was convincing my dad of using it and he was commenting on the differences between 10.x version and the 11.x version.

I got 11.10 up but it stopped upgrading. This and the left launcher bar sent me back to Windows. I called this launcher a "bad" word. This was my initial hit by the bam bams in the crowd. I didn't know about it at the time and in April I decided to give Ubuntu another try.

I was trying to clarify my dissatisfaction with the appearance of Ubuntu. I now understand the term is "gnome". I tried to rectify this opinion in private messages, but the person felt insulted after I replied asking about this forum. They banned me until April 26, after noon.

I decided to still pursue my linux interests, and I found a way to change the appearance. It's called "KDE" otherwise referred to as Kubuntu. I never knew about this. Upon loading, I saw a better looking desktop. There isn't a left launcher panel, and it is nicely set on the bottom (or top I think if you prefer).

Each day I added new programs and modified the settings. I am still kind of doing it with colors in specific programs. Only a couple programs I use in Windows remain to finally say goodbye to Windows. We're getting there folks.

It seems that I was banned from the forums for the duration because I expressed my opinion towards the default Ubuntu installation. I still feel the same way, but I haven't gone back to Windows. During this time, I have been able to find a way to modify the look so that my opinion would change as it pertains to Windows.

I think the course of action should have been to inform the new user, or if you don't want to call me new since I have used it on and off since 2003 and even used Edubuntu 2 years ago, an "uninformed user" of the options available. Kubuntu solves the problem of someone not liking the left launcher Gnome setup. It's a preference, a style. Not everyone has to love Gnome to enjoy Linux.

So, please train your padawan learners to listen first, strike later. In the words of Yoda, "Help you I can, yes!!" not "You're asking me to be rational. That is something I know I cannot do. Believe me, I wish I could just wish away my feelings, but I can't."

"Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
    What might be right for you, may not be right for some."

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans

Re: It takes "different strokes"

Referencing links to content not viewable "in court" is not fair. It's like bringing in evidence in a courtroom that only the prosecutor or defendant can see.

Motion to dismiss your honor.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

This all started on 12th February when you received a 1-point infraction for inappropriate language, and you were referred in the infraction message to the sections of the forum Code of Conduct that your post did not conform to. You could have simply stated in your post in unemotional terms that you do not like the Unity interface and then asked for help in getting a desktop environment more suited to your preferences. You chose not to and instead posted in a style that came across as trolling. I support the action of the staff in giving you this 1-point infraction. It was appropriate.

After a considerable delay, you then reported the infraction message as spam. This was interpreted as insulting the staff – a reasonable interpretation in my opinion – and you were put on moderation for this. Moderation means that you may post, but posts of yours are not visible in the forum until they have been approved by staff. As a result of this second infraction, you sent a private message to a staff member saying, “I am sorry, I don't understand this messaging system. Someone sent me spam and I tried to report it.” In reply to this, the staff member advised you to take the matter to the Resolution Center. Had you done so then, you might have been able to convince an admin that your spam report was a misunderstanding and it might have been possible to avoid everything that has occurred since. You chose not to, even though it was noticed about this time that you had visited the Resolution Center but not posted.

You continued to argue with the staff member and send repeated pm's despite being asked on more than one occasion to post in the Resolution Center. This persistently argumentative attitude was interpreted as trolling – again an interpretation I agree with - and as a result of this you were given a temporary 10-day ban from the forum, expiring today.

You could still have taken this to the Resolution Center, but instead you created two new accounts, both on 16th April, contrary to the Code of Conduct. One of these duplicate accounts was given infraction points for referring to the staff as “nazis”, and both accounts have now been banned for ban evasion.

Before I comment on all this, I will remind you that you agreed to the forum Code of Conduct when you first created your account. There are a few sections that seem to have escaped your notice. These are:

Finally, you agree that forum staff have the right to remove, edit, move or close any post, topic or thread at any time they see fit following the guidelines outlined below. You agree that the staff of this forum have the right to send a private message with a warning and/or censor any forum user who is in violation of forum policy.
    Respect the Forum Staff: We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We are all volunteers. Feedback is welcome in Forum Feedback & Help and this is also the place to request assistance with forum software issues. If you believe an error has been made in moderation or other staff actions, please post politely in the Resolution Center and help us understand your perspective.
    Multiple Accounts: Users may only have one active account. If you feel you have justification for requiring a new account, please contact an administrator to discuss your situation. Users who have multiple accounts without approval of an administrator may be penalized or banned.
    This has been a sorry tale which might have been almost entirely avoided had you brought the second infraction here to the Resolution Center. Instead, much staff time has been wasted – and I remind you that staff are unpaid volunteers. Unfortunately, the username you chose for one of your duplicate accounts and the email address you chose for the other suggests that you have an aggressive attitude and have not taken to heart any of the points the staff have been trying to put across.

All the infractions on the jadarite account have now expired and you are free to post, so long as your posts conform to the Code of Conduct. A simple question: are you prepared to respect the forum Code of Conduct?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

you received a 1-point infraction for inappropriate language, and you were referred in the infraction message to the sections of the forum Code of Conduct that your post did not conform to.
    When do you give warnings before unleashing the infractions? I received no warnings or kindly gestures that you perceived what I stated as anything other than my interpretation.

I still think the default purple and gray installation with the launcher (my biggest part of the gripe) looks "crappy". I have taught this adjective to my ESL students for 10 years now, and no one has fired me or unleashed infractions.

It is quite reasonable to assume this word is acceptable. It does not threaten anyone, nor does it force anyone from obtaining any of Ubuntu's services.
    However, an infraction and banning could (according to some code of behavior outlined).

to. You could have simply stated in your post in unemotional terms that you do not like the Unity interface and then asked for help in getting a desktop environment more suited to your preferences.
    In hindsight, I would have needed to posted anything because I now know how to change the look. You could have explained this instead of giving an infraction. I would have preferred it if the person who actually helped me were the one overlooking my posts and not you.

You could have allowed freedom of speech which includes expressing ones emotions and feelings, instead of dictating what one could express with. Again, I did not threaten anyone and I did not prevent anyone from downloading that which I did not like.

I support the action of the staff in giving you this 1-point infraction. It was appropriate.
    I don't support infractions as a first course of action. I support warnings first. If you said, "Don't say crap on this forum", I would have more likely refrained from using it a second time.

If someone bumps into you, do you automatically hit or smack them?

Moderation means that you may post, but .......occurred since.
    If A, then B.
    Tf C, then D.

I didn't know what would be acceptable because I have never been in such a ridiculous situation before. You are laying out absurd rules and regulations because I expressed myself in one post. If you didn't like the use of the word, you could have posted that feeling too.

If I can't say the "C" word, then can I also not say it is beautiful? What if I said "it is not beautiful"? Do you only censor negative based words? You can't possibly expect every user, especially every new user, to know which words are admissable and which ones are not.

I did not use a swear word, I did not threaten anyone, and I did not prevent others from obtaining any of Ubuntu's services. I simply stated an opinion, which is less valuable than the word it literally refers to.
    I think you or anyone else that supports this lunacy is not being fair about this and should not be given control rights to ban people.

You chose not to, even though it was noticed about this time that you had visited the Resolution Center but not posted.
    I never visited it. I didn't even know what it was. When I was given the link a second time and I actually visited it, the page wouldn't load.

I am in China, and they block a lot of sites as well as the connection being slow. You need to take this into consideration that not all pages load properly. You need to give warnings first and see if a perceived "wrong" is repeated.

If someone had just sent a PM asking me to change the wording, I would have more likely done that than post this longer message.

again an interpretation I agree with - and as a result of this you were given a temporary 10-day ban from the forum, expiring today.
    This accomplished nothing. I have not conformed to this Ubuntu Reicht style thinking.
    contrary to the Code of Conduct.
    Rosa Parks also took another seat on the bus, contrary to the code of conduct. When someone isn't being treated fairly, they should fight back and not take the abuse.
    I thought it spam. I didn't know someone working for Ubuntu was replying to me. I later found out they were. Why does this need to go any further? Someone is too excited with the authority.

You agree that the staff of this forum have the right to send a private message with a warning and/or censor any forum user who is in violation of forum policy
    There were no warnings. I was not in violation before the censoring started. I was censored, then I was accused of violating the forum policy. It's a bit like that movie "Harry's Crime".

If you feel you have justification for requiring a new account, please contact an administrator to discuss your situation.
    So I have to know who the administer is, and then I have to convince them to create a second account when they banned the first one?

you chose for the other suggests that you have an aggressive attitude and have not taken to heart any of the points the staff have been trying to put across.
    I didn't like the Ubuntu default installation as mentioned earlier, so I decided to find a suitable replacement. I did this without incurring any infractions and I am still a happy Ubuntu user. What is so badly aggressive about this?

What has been accomplished by enforcing code of conduct rather than a different code of programming called KDE?

CODE OF PROGRAMMING before CODE OF CONDUCT. This should be the motto of Ubuntu.

Instead, much staff time has been wasted – and I remind you that staff are unpaid volunteers.
    Any damages could be easily be mitigated by linking to a KDE link. Job done.

A simple question: are you prepared to respect the forum Code of Conduct?
    Yes, I am quite prepared to respect the forum code of conduct, and I expect the moderators to be prepared to respect the users by explaining rules before hitting them.

Beans

This forum doesn't allow me to correct my typos, so I will have to add them below.

"In hindsight, I would have needed to posted anything because I now know how to change the look. " = I would not have needed.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Insulting staff via private messages is against the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct. You agreed to the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct when you joined the forums. If you would like I can disable your account?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    Insulting staff via private messages is against the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct. You agreed to the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct when you joined the forums. If you would like I can disable your account?
    I have never insulted anyone from staff in PM's. I misunderstood a PM as being spam. That is not insulting.

Why threaten to disable accounts? Can you please take on a different more warmer attitude here? It doesn't need to go this way.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jadarite View Post
    So I have to know who the administer is, and then I have to convince them to create a second account when they banned the first one?
    There are seven - listed on the Forum Council pulldown option (Who we are) - which links here.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jadarite View Post
    This accomplished nothing.
    So I see.

I have not conformed to this Ubuntu Reicht style thinking.
    The code of conduct has been given to you for your review the last few days. I take it by referring to the staff and our policies as "this Ubuntu Reicht style thinking" that you find the Code of Conduct onerous and wish you luck with other online communities.

There were no warnings.
    The now expired temporary ban was your final warning, not to mention the PM you received from the staff. You have been given multiple polite warnings by several staff.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface