Thread: 12.04 beta 2 Problem to get to desktop after update

Beans

12.04 beta 2 Problem to get to desktop after update

Hi all,

Recently migrated back to ubuntu 12.04 Beta2 x64 and installed a dual boot alongside Win7 on this machine:

ACER ASPIRE 7560G-8358G1.5TM AZERTY
    CPU: AMD A8 3500M Quad Core 1500 MHz
    RAM: 8 GB SO-DIMM DDR3-1066 2x4 GB
    HDD: 1,5 TB SATA 5400 rpm 2disks
    Screen: 17,3 inch 1600 x 900 Transflective TFT LED-lighting
    Video: AMD Radeon HD 6720G2 2048 MB
    Ethernet: Atheros AR8151 PCI-E
    Wi-Fi: Broadcom 802.11n

Install went fine but i recieved on several occasions notifications of errors when using programs- however they ran just fine - so i put them to ignore. Standard update servers did not work, so i changed sources to (official) mirrors available in the selection of Software Sources.

Standard Video Driver worked but gave glitches so i installed ATI Proprietary and afterwards did all updates. After reboot i was dropped to command line for log in, both when i use the kernel from installation and the updated one.

startx works but screen keeps blocked somewhere in startup. With one kernel it hangs after "Userspace bootsplash" the other one after "checking battery state". Strange thing is that the system remains responsive but nothing is printed on the screen: HDD is not busy and after pushing the power button, system nicely powers off with printing the services it is stopping.

I tried to launch with lightdm but that produced errors. Booting in Recovery mode, i fixed broken packages. Graphical environment in recovery mode produces fatal error "no screens found".

This is the second time i encouter this problem of blockage after updates. I reinstalled and tried the same again, and all things above mentioned are therefore reproducable.

Probably the problem here lies somewhere with Xorg and the video driver. Any ideas on how to solve it? Do i reinstall the driver from command line, do need to purge something, do i do something in the Xorg.conf ?

I know a little bit my way around the command line but i've always used it within a graphical environment. So i wanted to view my Xorg.conf but using gedit produced error.

Any help greatly appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 12.04 beta 2 Problem to get to desktop after update

12.04 will be released later today and you would be advised to wait and install the final version. That way you will bypass all of the updates that have happened since beta 2. There were some major bug fixes since.
    HP g72t icore3 with intel graphics and broadcom 4313 wireless running 13.04unity, Ubuntu GNOME updated to 13.10 and a 13.10 unity. Plus using older desktop machine running 12.04 Lubuntu with nvidia geforce mx400.